Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys I have always wanted to see what the Pixi was built like so I decided to take mine apart and take a look inside.

Part of the reason for this was because my roomie broke his phone's digitizer and we ordered a new one on eBay I wanted to know what I was getting my self in to.

(Note I have done this a lot with a lot of different phones so try something like this at your own risk)

This phone was really easy to take apart and put back together Palm did a real good job with the hardware design on this one to bad the Pre was not built as good.

There was 4 torx screws and four locking tabs that held the back plate on took out the screws and then released the locking tabs one at a time.

There was an antenna cable hooked to the system board so had to unplug that from the plug it was connected to (DO NOT DO THIS BY PULLING ON THE WIRE) use some kind of prying tool and do it very softly till the plug pops off.

There was three sockets and ribbon cables to disconnect and 2 screws holding the radio board to the system board. One is on the underside of the radio board there was another antenna cable also on the bottom side.

After that there was a mettle RF shield that covered another plug connecting to the screen.

Then on the lower right side of the system board was the keyboard cable and plug. Also upper right side of system board was the other end of the antenna cable that plugged in to the bottom side of the radio board.

After all that stuff was disconnected the system bored lifted right off.

The screen and keyboard assembly was held in place by two more tabs toward the top i released them and was easily able to work the whole assembly out.

The front frame assembly and glass digitizer is all one part (far left of the full parts lay out photo) that's the part i will be replacing on my roomies Pixi.

Over all the whole process took about 20 minutes the next time I do it most likely only take 10 to 15 minutes. Hope you enjoyed this if you have any questions on how to replace a part I will try to help best I can.

All the photos were to big to upload on here so i placed them on line:
    Picasa Web Albums - Royce - Palm Pixi tea...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gitit20; 07/05/2010 at 09:45 PM.
    GTAFan9999 likes this.
    Interesting... which Pixi? Sprint?
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    Interesting... which Pixi? Sprint?
    Yes sorry i forgot to mention that didn't I
    Anyone have any thoughts on putting a Sprint radio into a Verizon Pixi Plus?
    anyone find the empty space for wifi?

Damn you Sprint...
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    anyone find the empty space for wifi?

Damn you Sprint...
    That's really what i'm getting at. Put a Sprint radio in a Verizon Pixi and you have a Sprint Pixi with WiFi, right?
    I think it's possible that the wifi radio is also on the radio board. So it's probably not as easy as just popping the Sprint radio board into a Pixi plus.

In theory, you might get Sprint to provide service to a Verizon ESN. There are threads around here that discuss such things.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    as far as I understand it the ESN is in the radio but that's based off my knowledge of the treo. If the wifi radio is in the radio than it really doesn't matter either way
    Why Palm and Sprint continue to screw over webOS users with the original crap devices, and charge for them no less, while Verizon is giving the Plus versions away is beyond me. It's just a travesty.

And jbg....I've had that picture laminated and in my wallet for many years...haha.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    That's really what i'm getting at. Put a Sprint radio in a Verizon Pixi and you have a Sprint Pixi with WiFi, right?
    You'd be better off using a tool like QPST to modify the VZW Pixi Plus' ESN to your Sprint Pixi's ESN and just doctoring the VZW Pixi Plus (though you cannot guarantee it'd work) with the Sprint doctor. Of course, you'd have to pull the WiFi drivers and the WiFi control app from the VZW Pixi doctor to the Sprint doctor file..

In other words, neither way is friendly.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Why Palm and Sprint continue to screw over webOS users with the original crap devices, and charge for them no less, while Verizon is giving the Plus versions away is beyond me. It's just a travesty.

And jbg....I've had that picture laminated and in my wallet for many years...haha.
    Palm can't do anything about Sprint's pricing, short of giving them money to lower the cost.

The ball for Sprint webOS devices is in Sprint's court, so to speak.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  12.    #12  
    The wifi chip is made on to the radio board so there is really no way of adding wifi to it. with out making it a verizon pixi but adding the sprint radio to a pixi plus would give you a sprint pixi because the CPU and Memory is all on the system board so you would have the better performance with out the wifi.
    Replacing a Sprint Pixi radio board with a Verizon Pixi Plus radio board will basically give you a Sprint Pixi Plus. The ESN is NOT embedded in the radio board so no ESN swapping needs to be done. Run a Sprint doctor and you would never know the difference, except WIFI of course.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    What size and kind screw drivers are needed? A t5 hex? and a... ?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    What size and kind screw drivers are needed? A t5 hex? and a... ?
    A t5 i believe and a Philips
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    Not to hash up old, but the point was the original devices should've been done with the minute the plus versions hit the assembly line. They are finally making the pixi free.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Palm can't do anything about Sprint's pricing, short of giving them money to lower the cost.

The ball for Sprint webOS devices is in Sprint's court, so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    Not exactly. Its the other way around. ESN isn't on the radio board.

Put a Verizon Pixi Plus radio board into a Sprint Pixi and you'll get WiFi. Doctor it with the Sprint Doctor afterwards.

http://www.precentral.net/sprint-pal...dio-board-swap
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/12/2010 at 04:10 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    That's interesting how such a small thing can do so much.
    W00sh likes this.
    Does the keyboard come off? The backspace and enter keys aren't clicking right.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast