Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    Google maps loads the whole application over the network from Google, so the load speed is mostly dependent on your network connection.

    Glad folks are enjoying the UberKernel and Govnah support for Pixi that I created.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Google maps loads the whole application over the network from Google, so the load speed is mostly dependent on your network connection.

    Glad folks are enjoying the UberKernel and Govnah support for Pixi that I created.

    -- Rod
    Thanks for the clarification on Google, i had thought it was something like that since its the only one that ever took that long.

    By the way Rod, thanks for all the info you putout there on this - been trying to piece it together and read for days before I did it - and so far great results. Anyway you could help with the question I had above? difference between ondemandtcl & ondemand? Couldn't find a clear answer on it anywhere
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingpixi View Post
    By the way Rod, thanks for all the info you putout there on this - been trying to piece it together and read for days before I did it - and so far great results. Anyway you could help with the question I had above? difference between ondemandtcl & ondemand? Couldn't find a clear answer on it anywhere
    ondemand is a standard Linux cpufreq governor - Google search will know about it.

    ondemandtcl is a Palm proprietary governor. We haven't looked into exactly what it does, but believe the "tcl" suffix means "tickle" - i.e. the ondemand governor takes into account more things that are relevant on a hand-held device, like turning on the screen or touching the screen or touching the keyboard. The source code for it is in the Palm kernel patch, but we haven't really looked at it closely.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #24  
    Thanks Rod! Very helpful!

    Rick
  5. #25  
    I've been running the UberKernel w/ CompCache enabled for about 4 days now on my AT&T Pixi+. I was underwhelmed for the first couple of days (kept running into TMC errors), but this mod has made it into a whole new phone. Thank you so much, Rod!
    (discovering the difference between ARM6 and ARM7 was also fun)
  6. #26  
    Yea thanks Rod, really appreciate everything ur doing for the community! Just had a few questions though...

    1) if compache is enabled and clearly got rid of the TMC error, does this necessarily mean that the kernel is installed and working properly? I ask this bc I haven't seen the error after installing UK but besides that, everything else seems the same :/

    2) what settings have you guys found to work the best? I'm getting alot of mixed results on this... Performance? Ondemand?/tcl? I've played around with govnah but can't seem to pinpoint settings that make my pixi run better and if anything, some settings screw it up.

    3) do govnahs settings still apply even when brightness is below 20%? I thought I read something about this somewhere but if someone could shed some light on this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!
    Last edited by netzer119; 07/05/2010 at 02:40 PM.
  7. Delight33's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #27  
    Thank you I just installed and so far so good keep things going for the pixi loving my pixi now
  8. errbin's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    First I'd like to apologize because of my hiatus I have neglected known flaws in AUPT for too long. Although with the great development of the Save/Restore system started by rwhitby, I believe the worst case scenario will be very manageable.

    Ok, so here's the deal. Patches that touch multiple packages will not be able to remove/update after an OTA, iff the OTA doesn't update all or none of those packages. These "problem" patches will be in a half-installed half-removed state and there's nothing in AUPT logic that can get it out of this state.

    Luckily there aren't a ton of these packages but to avoid this scenario I must recommend you remove the following patches prior to OTA update while using AUPT version 4 or before.

    • GestureClick Context Menu
    • KeyToss Keyword Search
    • Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS
    • Multi Mod
    • SMS Tone per Contact
    • SMS Tone per Contact v2
    • No Auto-Off While Charging
    • Scrim Multi
    • Scrim Multi v2
    • Scrim Multi o2
    • Scrim Multi o2 v2
    • Scrim Multi Verizon
    • Scrim Multi Verizon v2
    • Scrim System Screens


    I apologize to the patch authors in advance for the inevitable barage of questions they will receive due to my oversight.

    What to do if you have updated with a problem patch installed:

    If anyone updates with one of the problem patches installed, I believe the best solution will be to use save/restore to save your patches list. Then install EPR to wipe all patches (or webos doctor). Then use save/restore to restore the patches.




    ....................................
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ondemand is a standard Linux cpufreq governor - Google search will know about it.

    ondemandtcl is a Palm proprietary governor. We haven't looked into exactly what it does, but believe the "tcl" suffix means "tickle" - i.e. the ondemand governor takes into account more things that are relevant on a hand-held device, like turning on the screen or touching the screen or touching the keyboard. The source code for it is in the Palm kernel patch, but we haven't really looked at it closely.

    -- Rod
    So then, would the on demand be quicker and a more powerful governor than the ondemandtcl or visa versa?
  10. #30  
    Where is the compcache setting in govnah? I cant seem to find it
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  11. errbin's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    Where is the compcache setting in govnah? I cant seem to find it
    open govnah app the click governor another window will open
    stroll down to compcache configuration turn it on to true
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by errbin View Post
    open govnah app the click governor another window will open
    stroll down to compcache configuration turn it on to true
    I have been doing that but it says nothing about compcache, I've put it on ondemand, userspace, ondemandtcl, and performance. I went into preferences also...maybe I am blind? Lol I can't see it
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    I have been doing that but it says nothing about compcache, I've put it on ondemand, userspace, ondemandtcl, and performance. I went into preferences also...maybe I am blind? Lol I can't see it
    Make sure Uberkernel is actually installed (a little penguin icon with a chip should show in your launcher pages) otherwise you won't see a "compache" section right above the apply settings button.

    If Uberkernel is def installed:

    -open Govnah app
    - tap the second line that says "governor"
    -there will be several sections on the screen now, "gov selection", "frequency selection" and so on...swipe down past "gov parameters" and you should see the section for setting compache.
    - tap the little button that says "false" to make it "true" and you can set your compache limit (16, 24, 32, etc)

    For that last point I will say my Pixi won't let me set above 16MB, but I'm researching why right now. Other than that, it should work fine. If not. Try to uninstall/reinstall kernel and govnah - its easy and doesn't take long with preware.
  14. philesk's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingpixi View Post
    Make sure Uberkernel is actually installed (a little penguin icon with a chip should show in your launcher pages) otherwise you won't see a "compache" section right above the apply settings button.

    If Uberkernel is def installed:

    -open Govnah app
    - tap the second line that says "governor"
    -there will be several sections on the screen now, "gov selection", "frequency selection" and so on...swipe down past "gov parameters" and you should see the section for setting compache.
    - tap the little button that says "false" to make it "true" and you can set your compache limit (16, 24, 32, etc)

    For that last point I will say my Pixi won't let me set above 16MB, but I'm researching why right now. Other than that, it should work fine. If not. Try to uninstall/reinstall kernel and govnah - its easy and doesn't take long with preware.
    I have the Penguin w/chip & govnah visible in Launcher
    The only thing below "gov parameters" is "apply Settings"
    What am I missing on my AT&T Pixi+?
  15. #35  
    Anyone else forced to go through advanced settings?

    Also, are there standardized values for compache? I try to change it and it reverts back to 16384.

    I had the old governor. Got a new phone and this one looks completely different.
  16. errbin's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Anyone else forced to go through advanced settings?

    Also, are there standardized values for compache? I try to change it and it reverts back to 16384.

    I had the old governor. Got a new phone and this one looks completely different.
    you might have your Govnah setting on manual entry on YES *for experienced users only*
    I would change that setting to NO if your unsure on how to work it

    <--- this is a pre govah pay no mind to settings

    tap Govnah at the top left and then go to preferences at the bottom there's manual entry
    turn it to NO


    and to change the compache you have to set it to false and apply the settings, then enable it as true, set to 24, apply settings and name a new profile and save it.

    .
    Last edited by errbin; 08/18/2010 at 04:26 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions