Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I installed Uberkernel for Pixi and enabled compcache. I left the governor set to on-demand.

I monitored temps and it looks great for 2 days now.

Then i compared it to the Palm Pre 1 GHz overclock video, and my apps are opening even faster than the Pre in the video! Th most noticeable was Youtube which was up much faster than the Overclocked Pre. Is this compcache just simply magic or what?

My Pixi always ran a little bit slower than other users on my account b/c they hardly install anything, and mine is loaded up. but now mine is just insanely fast. So thanks to those who worked hard to help out us Pixi users.

BTW had my Pixi for a month now and still love it. The price was right (FREE) and when i tested the Pre at the sprint store, i found it insanely annoying to slide every time i need a keyboard, as i was coming from a Motorola Q with a keyboard on the front.

One disappointment is that i seem to have less of the nice little features. On my Q i could control my PC beautifully (for free) using Bluetooth PC Remote built in to Win Mobile. Also multitaking on the Q was good too as it was very easy to switch between running apps, although u needed to hit the home button first of course, no different than having to go out to card view in WebOS.

P.S. anyone find the Pixi (or Pre) just impossible to use safely while driving? I barely talk while driving and never text, but once in a while i need it. With my Q i had a physical button i pressed twice to redial my last call, or worst case if i needed to call someone else I had voice dialing with one button, never having to look away form the road. DEAR PALM: VOICE DIALING IS A MUST FOR ANY SMARTPHONE!
    Last edited by dovwollner; 06/30/2010 at 10:12 AM.
    Compcache isn't causing speed increases.

In fact it should technically make things slower, but allow less TMCs to appear.

Any increases you've seen are from another aspect of the Kernal.
    I'm intrigued because my Pixi Plus was so slow (in comparison to my Pre) that I couldn't bear it and had to sell it. Would you be able to make a video so we can see the difference?
  4.    #4  
    I can make a quick vid, check back in a little for a link
    hey know what, i agree. i've noticed that my pixi plus (VZW) is a lot snappier with the kernel. but the real big improvement is the amount of apps you can have open at once without the TMC error. i just was testing it out last night and i had 15 apps open before the phone starting to get bogged down. i didn't get the error but it just started to lag out big time. so i just closed a few and it was good as new.
  6.    #6  
    jeez, wont let m post a youtube link b/c i a noob here, what do i do? i cannot find my own vid wh i search youtube
  7.    #7  
    try bit. l y /cFI3V4
    take the www. and the .com off and we can add it in ourselves.
  9.    #9  
    just use the link i posted

edit: you can now find it by searching youtube for "pixi uberkernel"
    Last edited by dovwollner; 06/30/2010 at 11:10 AM.
    Thanks for making the video - it does seem to be nice and speedy. By the way, the Glass Effect Launcher won't slow your device down (I made that patch ) in fact it should, by a minuscule and completely undetectable amount, improve performance. But seriously, you couldn't measure it (it's the difference between scrolling with a wallpaper and scrolling without a wallpaper). Just an FYI

I love the Pixi's form factor and keyboard - hoping for a beefed up model from Palm some time soon.
    Im getting a failed IPKG message when trying to install uberkernel...how did u do it
    Hey, can you type out all of the settings you have for your uberkernel? I want to try your settings, mine don't seem to have the same effect as yours!

As in is it ondemandtcl or just ondemand, or have you switched to performance? Just, if you would, go into the profile and type out all the settings down the list. How's battery life?
    That's not too bad. I want a Pixi type phone with like..twice as good Pre settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    Hey, can you type out all of the settings you have for your uberkernel? I want to try your settings, mine don't seem to have the same effect as yours!

As in is it ondemandtcl or just ondemand, or have you switched to performance? Just, if you would, go into the profile and type out all the settings down the list. How's battery life?
    x2
    Quote Originally Posted by will665 View Post
    Im getting a failed IPKG message when trying to install uberkernel...how did u do it
    Did you install the recovery kernel first? Try that and it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattflick819 View Post
    Did you install the recovery kernel first? Try that and it should work.
    Yeah, do a general search for kernel in preware. Download the palm pixi recovery kernel, then click later when it asks for luna restart. Sqipe back and install uber kernel for pixi, then again click later (unless you've installed govnah). Lastly, install govnah, then do a restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    Yeah, do a general search for kernel in preware. Download the palm pixi recovery kernel, then click later when it asks for luna restart. Sqipe back and install uber kernel for pixi, then again click later (unless you've installed govnah). Lastly, install govnah, then do a restart.
    i got it working...just wondering what the optimal performance/battery settings were
    sounds awesome...how will this be affected by the 1.4.5 update (if its ever released)? i really want to put uberkernel on my pixi now but dont want to run into problems when webos is ready to be updated
  19.    #19  
    BTW i also had to install the stock Palm kernel first, then do the uberkernel.

about settings...i just enabled compcache. thats it . the governor is the on-demandctl setting that goes between 128 and 600MHz

have not noticed any difference in battery life, prob b/c the is no increase in the CPU speed anyway. also my GPS is patched to always be off unless called on by a navigation app
    Last edited by dovwollner; 06/30/2010 at 07:06 PM.
    whats your compcache on?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast