Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Edit: read below:

I seem to be having the same problem. It doesn't seem to be taking the new settings)
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    Got it (Thanks), but every time I switch it to true (compcache) and hit appply settings, when it goes back to the advanced setting screen is still says disabled. then I go back in and it is back at false. Any ideas?
    I was having troubles like some of the other people here to get compcache to go to "true". actually I coldn't even get the slide switch to show up.

Here's what worked for me:
    Remove any and all non stock kernels. Do a system restart...not a luna restart.

Go back into preware and install the Palm Kernel (pxi/pixi+), do another system restart.

Go back into preware and install the Uberkernel (pixi/ pixi+), do another system restart.

Now install Govnah . no restart required, not sure why.

Now you can tweak at will, and save profiles, and all that good stuff.

There might be an easier/quicker way but this is what worked for me.

It's kinda like when your messing with your system bios on a laptop/desktop machine. It needs to be restarted for the new settings to take effect.

No system reset is required after tweaking in Govnah however. The settings take effect immediately. A system reset will reset Govnah to default profile.

I hope this helps somebody.
    Last edited by xalky; 08/16/2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    Got it (Thanks), but every time I switch it to true (compcache) and hit appply settings, when it goes back to the advanced setting screen is still says disabled. then I go back in and it is back at false. Any ideas?

set all your setting then tap save as new profile name your profile

Last edited by errbin; 08/16/2010 at 11:34 AM.
    what temperature is the battery supposed to be? and what is the highest it should/can get?
    whats the diff between palm default and fixed speed 600? what one are you using when enabling compache?
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsq34 View Post
    what temperature is the battery supposed to be? and what is the highest it should/can get?

my pixi while in use goes to about 37C = 99 degrees and 40C = 104 degrees
    but I do live in Arizona so the weather here doesn't help

I have temperature warning patch tht rings at 45C =113 degrees
    but 50 Celsius = 122 degrees is the DANGER ZONE!!!
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by makatram View Post
    whats the diff between palm default and fixed speed 600? what one are you using when enabling compache?

check out this thread

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...ixi-users.html

SuzukiGS750EZ setting is the best

Governor: ondemand
    Min Freq:122.88 MHz
    Max Freq: 600 MHz
    Sampling Rate: 0.1 freq
    Up Threshold: 60%
    Ignore Nice Load: false
    Powersave Bias: 0
    Compcache Enabled: true
    Compcache Memlimit: 24 mb

I've got my advance setting to
    I/O Scheduler - deadline
    TCP Congestion - westwood
    TY so much and TY Suzuki just put in those settings and seems improved.... opened up tons of apps without a TMC warning/error. I had pretty much just stopped keeping any cards open.

on a side note does turning off auto locate in location services save alot of battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by errbin View Post
    I/O Scheduler - deadline
    what does this do?
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    on a side note does turning off auto locate in location services save alot of battery life.

YES not a lot but it does help I keep the GPS off on my phone
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    what does this do?
    from the info I found (using goggle) they seem to fit the best for me

I/O Scheduler - deadline

The goal of the Deadline scheduler is to attempt to guarantee a start service time for a request. It does that by imposing a deadline on all I/O operations to prevent resource starvation. It also maintains two deadline queues, in addition to the sorted queues (both read and write). Deadline queues are basically sorted by their deadline (the expiration time), while the sorted queues are sorted by the sector number.

Before serving the next request, the Deadline scheduler decides which queue to use. Read queues are given a higher priority, because processes usually block on read operations. Next, the Deadline scheduler checks if the first request in the deadline queue has expired. Otherwise, the scheduler serves a batch of requests from the sorted queue. In both cases, the scheduler also serves a batch of requests following the chosen request in the sorted queue.

By default, read requests have an expiration time of 500 ms, write requests expire in 5 seconds.

The kernel docs suggest this is the preferred scheduler for database systems, especially if you have TCQ aware disks, or any system with high disk performance

TCP Westwood (TCPW), is a sender-side-only modification to TCP NewReno that is intended to better handle large bandwidth-delay product paths (large pipes), with potential packet loss due to transmission or other errors (leaky pipes), and with dynamic load (dynamic pipes).

TCPW relies on mining the ACK stream for information to help it better set the congestion control parameters: Slow Start Threshold (ssthresh), and Congestion Window (cwin). In TCPW, an "Eligible Rate" is estimated and used by the sender to update ssthresh and cwin upon loss indication, or during its "Agile Probing" phase, a proposed modification to the well-known Slow Start phase. In addition, a scheme called Persistent Non Congestion Detection (PNCD) has been devised to detect persistent lack of congestion and induce an Agile Probing phase to expeditiously utilize large dynamic bandwidth.

The resultant performance gains in efficiency, without undue sacrifice of fairness, friendliness, and stability have been reported in numerous papers that can be found on this web site. Significant efficiency gains can be obtained for large leaky dynamic pipes, while maintaining fairness. Under a more appropriate criterion for friendliness, i.e. "opportunistic friendliness", TCPW is shown to have good, and controllable, friendliness.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    But people like NOOP instead of DEADLINE

The NOOP scheduler inserts all incoming I/O requests into a simple, unordered FIFO queue and implements request merging.

The scheduler assumes I/O performance optimization will be handled at some other layer of the I/O hierarchy; e.g., at the block device; by an intelligent HBA such as a Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) RAID controller or by an externally attached controller such as a storage subsystem accessed through a switched Storage Area Network)

NOOP scheduler is best used with solid state devices such as flash memory or in general with devices that do not depend on mechanical movement to access data (meaning typical "hard disk" drive technology consisting of seek time primarily, plus rotational latency). Such non-mechanical devices do not require re-ordering of multiple I/O requests, a technique that groups together I/O requests that are physically close together on the disk, thereby reducing average seek time and the variability of I/O service time.
    Hello,

I am very interested in the Uber for the Pixi, where do I find it so I can install it?

wdRobinson
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wdRobinson View Post
    Hello,

I am very interested in the Uber for the Pixi, where do I find it so I can install it?

wdRobinson
    in preware in the Kernel section download both
    the recovery Kernel and a Uber Kernel and you'll need the Govnah app

Quote Originally Posted by saves View Post
    I have a Pixi Minus (sprint) and I swear it seems "slower" than before. I don't really play any games, just noticing some apps and launcher being skippy when popping out. Maybe I have a setting I need to turn on.

I read up some on it but do not know enough about what it all means, so either run the 600 min/max or the "Palm Default". its the default that seems to be slower than with the stock kernel. "Fix Speed 600" just seems to run it like normal, I don't see an improvement over before. Is there some settings I can tweak to make it run better? I have 72 apps and 24 patches according to preware, so I'm sure that accounts for the slow down in the launcher. I have 7 pages so they don't all scroll down, but the ones that do lag bad. I don't use any themes though. Is it hopeless and need to uninstall some or are there some settings I could try.
    so does this work on the pixi minus or what?
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    so does this work on the pixi minus or what?
    YES I have the pixi on sprint and the Uber Kernel makes a big difference
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saves View Post
    I have a Pixi Minus (sprint) and I swear it seems "slower" than before. I don't really play any games, just noticing some apps and launcher being skippy when popping out. Maybe I have a setting I need to turn on.

I read up some on it but do not know enough about what it all means, so either run the 600 min/max or the "Palm Default". its the default that seems to be slower than with the stock kernel. "Fix Speed 600" just seems to run it like normal, I don't see an improvement over before. Is there some settings I can tweak to make it run better? I have 72 apps and 24 patches according to preware, so I'm sure that accounts for the slow down in the launcher. I have 7 pages so they don't all scroll down, but the ones that do lag bad. I don't use any themes though. Is it hopeless and need to uninstall some or are there some settings I could try.

SuzukiGS750EZ setting is the best

Governor: ondemand
    Min Freq:122.88 MHz
    Max Freq: 600 MHz
    Sampling Rate: 0.1 freq
    Up Threshold: 60%
    Ignore Nice Load: false
    Powersave Bias: 0
    Compcache Enabled: true
    Compcache Memlimit: 24 mb

I/O Scheduler - deadline
    Thanks errbin and suzuki. this thing rocks now. i wish i did this a lot sooner.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    does it help on a pixi plus ex germany?
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjengie View Post
    does it help on a pixi plus ex germany?

YES!
    ok so I finally got compcache to stick as enable, but can't get 24mb to stick?

Edit: got it...I really wish the software would stick setting with out having to jump through so many hoops. I shouldn't be complaining though.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast