1.    #1  
    So i wish there was a way to delete threads... anyways. I downloaded the newest govnah and the uberkernel for the pixi. My questions are as follows:

-What is compcache and what are the best settings for it?
    -What settings in preferences should i set?
    -What are good profile settings in govnah for uberkernel?
    -Are there any other recommended changes i do before saving my profile?

I'm totally new to this whole thing, so bare with me here.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    There is a way to delete ur threads. its in advanced edit
    You would probably get a better response in the the WebOS Development forum:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/
    You are going to need to do some studying when it comes to Overclocking. The developers won't answer basic questions as they have written everything out for users. And many members won't answer OC questions until you read up on the basics.

If you haven't yet, please read the following thread to have most of your questions answered in detail. There are also links to other FAQ's about the new kernals and Govnah.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-kernel.html
  5.    #5  
    I understand why they wouldn't want to answer, i was looking more for end user advice, as going through 50 something pages to find my answer is a bit tedious. I know i've answered questions here that are pretty basic and or a few threads down, but if it helps someone out i feel that a few minutes on the keyboard saves frustration and confusion in the end.
  6.    #6  
    Ok well, i'll post my settings and you all can tell me if i did it correctly.

Governor: performance
    Min Freq: 122.88 mhz
    Max Freq: 600.00 mhz
    Compcache Enabled: True
    Compcache Memlimit: 32mb

for my preferences i have it set to poll speed: 1 sec everything else is no.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    I understand why they wouldn't want to answer, i was looking more for end user advice, as going through 50 something pages to find my answer is a bit tedious. I know i've answered questions here that are pretty basic and or a few threads down, but if it helps someone out i feel that a few minutes on the keyboard saves frustration and confusion in the end.
    Since the UberKernal is just being released for the Pixi, you are probably one of the first end users for the kernal. You might get some ideas in the Govnah thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...01-govnah.html but understand that the Pixi is new to Overclocking and your imput may be useful to others going forward.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  8.    #8  
    Lol, i am a very techie person, if i could just get an explanation of every setting i'd be of great help haha but i don't know anything about it as of right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    Lol, i am a very techie person, if i could just get an explanation of every setting i'd be of great help haha but i don't know anything about it as of right now.
    This will give you some basic understanding of the various govenors: Linux Kernel Documentation :: cpu-freq : governors.txt
    The Screenstate govenor was created by Rod and the webOS internals team.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rclocking.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  10.    #10  
    thank you very much
  11.    #11  
    I've noticed that when setting the compcache and then going back and changing it it does not revert to the new option.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I went performance

And left everything else the same
  13.    #13  
    If you have min and max freq's both at 600, will this wear the battery out quicker? I think i read somewhere the min is when the screen is off and the max is when you're using your phone?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    No thats on screenstae govnor. But i have mine 600mhz min and max and my compache 128mb
  15.    #15  
    wow, why so high on the compcache?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    idk.. what does it effect exactly. My minimum amount of memory my system is allowed to use.
    Compcache has to do with the way the phone uses its memory. It takes part of the memory (whatever you set it to use) and sets it aside for applications while also compressing it (roughly 2:1). The Sprint Pixi has 256mb of RAM, so if you take 32mb for compcache it will devote about 64mb to applications, which is pretty healthy.

The downside to using too much (128mb is probably too much) is that you don't leave enough space for the rest of the OS (everything that isn't an application). So the phone will then use the swap space which is much slower--that could lead to things like missed calls/texts and general sluggishness.

This kernel also fixes the method that is used for calculating when to display the Too Many Cards error to include swap space as well. That, by itself, should reduce the all too frequent dispalys of that message.

Here's a great post that is my source: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2529906

Regarding overclocking, it's my understanding that you can't overclock the Pixi using Uberkernel yet. The default governor is some kind of on-demand governor that is set to 122.8MHz to 600MHz. As the Pixi doesn't seem to have any trouble with this, I would leave it alone. It is possible that the Pixi would feel a bit faster if the min frequency were also set to 600MHz, but that would probably also have a negative impact on battery life.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Hey ty so much for the help!