1.    #1  
    Done. I cut it free hand so it's not perfect, but still good enough for me.

nice job.
    Sweet and I was thinking about swapping magnets, but this is Much Easier!

Great Job! Sorli...
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, the problem I had when trying to transfer the TS stuff inside of the Otterbox was not the placement, but rather the strength. The bigger gap and the plastic surface didn't keep the phone on the dock.

I made the hole template by placing the TS backcover centered inside the Otterbox (plastic) and stuck it too the dock. I just traced out a hole and started to snip and cut away. I evened out the surface by sanding with 180 grit and putting a smooth curved edge. I then finished it off with 2000 grit.
    What did you use to cut the hole. Great idea using the 180 and 2000 grit to smooth things out.

My only problem with this procedure is I'll probably have to loose the OtterBox name on the back with my Pre model being dead center of the Touchstone location. Sorli...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    What did you use to cut the hole. Great idea using the 180 and 2000 grit to smooth things out.

My only problem with this procedure is I'll probably have to loose the OtterBox name on the back with my Pre model being dead center of the Touchstone location. Sorli...

I made a slit into the center of the trace with a Xacto knife. I then proceeded to cut the middle into pizza type slices, followed this cut close to the edge, but not all the way. I then used pliers to tear off little by little to get the general shape. Then used a serrated blade to shave down the rough edges. I worked it quite a bit with the 180 grit to get a circle and put the chamfered edge then made it smooth with the 2000.

The cleaner solution would be to get a hole saw in the same diameter as the TS and just punch it out. I didn't feel like doing it since it was the middle of the night and couldn't/didn't want to get the hole saw. I made do with what I had and I think it came out pretty well.
    Great idea!
  8. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    A 2" hole saw is almost perfect. I did the same with my spare GRT case back for my wife's Pre. I had to expand it just a bit to make it fit the TS, but it only took a minute.
    Last edited by rpr; 06/25/2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: 2" not 1 1/2"
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre