1.    #1  
    Do you guys have your wifi so when it's off it sleeps, or no? Is it possible that if i set it up so that it sleeps when off that when i turn the phone back on will if i'm out and away from wifi will it hook up to 3g or will it still search for wifi? Which uses less battery? I don't have anything that needs a constant wifi connection so sleeping isn't an issue, it's just ease of use & battery im concerned with. I sometimes forget to shut my wifi off when i go out away from a wifi network.
    I tend to view it like this:

Scenario One:
    Mode
    Wifi stays ON
    Battery
    Maintain Wifi connection

Scenario Two:
    Mode
    Wifi sleep when screen is off
    Battery
    Screen Off
    Disconnect Wifi
    Screen On
    Search for Wifi
    Wifi not found
    Search for Wifi
    Wifi not found
    Search for Wifi
    Wifi found - Connect to Wifi
    Screen Off
    Disconnect Wifi
    Screen On
    Search for Wifi
    Wifi not found
    Search for Wifi
    Wifi not found
    Search for Wifi
    Wifi found - Connect to Wifi
    Screen Off
    Disconnect Wifi...

This could potentially be happening 30+ times a day - depends on what your usage patterns are, how often you leave the Wifi zone etc.

So if you set your Wifi to sleep when the screen is off then there's a lot more Wifi activity going on there, and I believe you'll see your battery drop faster.

If your phone can't find the Wifi signal it will default to 3G, however I believe that if you have Wifi turned on then it will still 'listen' for a known Wifi network, which also uses battery.

So it comes down to your usage habits really - the very best scenario would be to leave Wifi on ALL the time while you're in a Wifi zone - and remember to turn Wifi off if you know you're going outside of your Wifi zone. That would be the best battery saving scenario in my opinion.

That's how I see it (though I'm no technician).