1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use the Palm Pixi Plus WiFi without being required to pay for the data plan?

I currently have AT&T and use the Palm Centro (just basic plan with no smartphone data plan). I wanted to buy the Palm Pixi Plus because my phone just broke. I don't want to buy the required data plan but was wondering if the Palm Pixi Plus' WiFi would still work without it.
    I have no idea why using WiFi wouldn't work.

You just couldn't use Mobile Hotspot.
  3.    #3  
    That's what I was thinking. But I spoke with an online AT&T representative that said I would need to have the data plan. But, I'm just wondering if they're just saying that to get me to sign up for the data plan (that I really don't need and can't really afford).
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy888 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. But I spoke with an online AT&T representative that said I would need to have the data plan. But, I'm just wondering if they're just saying that to get me to sign up for the data plan (that I really don't need and can't really afford).
    A data plan is required to activate the phone and sign up for/into and backup to a Palm Profile.
    The $15 one should work on the Pixi. I can't see people drawing tons of data on that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The $15 one should work on the Pixi. I can't see people drawing tons of data on that.
    That may be the OP's best bet but there's a topic going on in the Palm forums where that OP is using up loads of data mysteriously.
    Devouring data, yikes!! What if you turn off all notifications to manual?

But see, this is why AT&T shouldn't have gimped the data plans so much. Maybe even offer 3GB for the $25 if they don't want to do unlimited anymore. I saw an article about the iPhone doing the same thing. All this leaking data is going to cost people.

Now that I remember, my Backflip sent or received about 15 minutes of data every night, for one week, when I was not on the phone. So I started turning off the phone entirely overnight when I discovered that. Something's screwy at AT&T.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I would lovee this. $30 a month for data is way too much on Verizon. I've realized I barely even use 1 gb a month on my phone as wifi's always around. I also heard at&t is rationalizing their pricing a little. Hopefully other carriers will follow (as they usually do) and do the needful. Oh and interesting article on data: I, Cringely Blog Archive Semi-Smart - Cringely on technology