1.    #1  
    Hi there, really need help with my Palm Pixi Plus! I'm australian and really like the pixi plus so bought one 'unlocked' from the US. Little did I know that Verizon phones don't have sim card trays!!! How can I fix this? Is there a secret sim card tray? or am I f***ed?
    Verizon phones are CDMA. As far as I know only the GSM phones have a sim card... Which would be AT&T...
    right if I were you and your in your 30 days Id return it to verizon, and just pick up the AT&T version since it just launched last sunday, its GSM and uses a sim card.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiLover View Post
    Hi there, really need help with my Palm Pixi Plus! I'm australian and really like the pixi plus so bought one 'unlocked' from the US. Little did I know that Verizon phones don't have sim card trays!!! How can I fix this? Is there a secret sim card tray? or am I f***ed?
    Unfortunately Australia now exclusively uses GSM as its mobile technology. Telstra used to run a CDMA network on which you could potentially use a Verizon phone, but this was shut down a few years ago.

So the Verizon phone absolutely won't work in Australia. You would need to return the Verizon phone if possible, and purchase an unlocked GSM phone.

I would not suggest purchasing an AT&T Pixi,as the AT&T version only has 3G capability on the frequencies used in North America. In Australia you woudl be forced to use 2G (GPRS) service, which is really slow. Better to pick up one from a European carrier like O2 that will work on Australia's 3G frequencies.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks a mill, guys! I will return the verizon pixi and swap it for a unlocked european one I found. I'm just glad I could find a solution to using a pixi in aus, they are the coolest phones ever! Thanks again
    I was told my verizon phone has a sim card tray for if i needed to go out of the united states to different countries...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottacus View Post
    Unfortunately Australia now exclusively uses GSM as its mobile technology. Telstra used to run a CDMA network on which you could potentially use a Verizon phone, but this was shut down a few years ago.

So the Verizon phone absolutely won't work in Australia. You would need to return the Verizon phone if possible, and purchase an unlocked GSM phone.

I would not suggest purchasing an AT&T Pixi,as the AT&T version only has 3G capability on the frequencies used in North America. In Australia you woudl be forced to use 2G (GPRS) service, which is really slow. Better to pick up one from a European carrier like O2 that will work on Australia's 3G frequencies.
    Check your information. It is my understanding that Australia's Telstra network uses the same 3G bands as AT&T North America, 850 / 1900, and not the EU standard 3G bands used throughout the rest of Europe. Hate to see the guy plunk down money for another Pixi plus only to find he has EDGE data speeds when he can have 3G!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Check your information. It is my understanding that Australia's Telstra network uses the same 3G bands as AT&T North America, 850 / 1900, and not the EU standard 3G bands used throughout the rest of Europe. Hate to see the guy plunk down money for another Pixi plus only to find he has EDGE data speeds when he can have 3G!
    Just want to clarify that I'm with Optus, which has 3G connections (as does every carrier in Australia). I've been told that Telstra runs on a different frequency than Optus 3G frequency, which is 900MHz/2100MHz. I think that might be more suitable for the european version. My main concern is will I be able to pick up 3G signals in Australia with a pixi plus from europe? Such a great phone, but has been so discouraging with these complications. Thanks again for all you guys help
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    I was told my verizon phone has a sim card tray for if i needed to go out of the united states to different countries...
    Where abouts? Wouldn't that mean your phone is CDMA/GSM?
    PS I have been able to get a refund and will be looking into the european version
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiLover View Post
    Just want to clarify that I'm with Optus, which has 3G connections (as does every carrier in Australia). I've been told that Telstra runs on a different frequency than Optus 3G frequency, which is 900MHz/2100MHz. I think that might be more suitable for the european version. My main concern is will I be able to pick up 3G signals in Australia with a pixi plus from europe? Such a great phone, but has been so discouraging with these complications. Thanks again for all you guys help
    Optus 3G frequency, is 900MHz/2100MHz , Telstra is 850/1900.

So yes, for Optus you need the European GSM Pixi Plus.

For Telstra, You would need the North American Pixi Plus.

Besides, the Pixi Plus from germany is unlocked right out of the box, and uses European 3G bands. Pefrect for use on Optus, if you can live with the Qwertz KB. or you can patch it it to make it a Qwerty.

TTB

P.S. the CDMA Verizon USA Pixi Plus does not have a SIM card slot. Their CDMA Blackberry Storm does. Not sure about any other of their phones though,
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    G'day all from Australia. Total newby to the forum.
    PixiLover, don't run into the same troubles i'm having.
    I have just joined the boat with a brand new Pixi Plus from AT&T in the USA.
    I have been using Treo 650 and 680's for a few years now and love em, and thought i'll try a Pixi.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction in setting this thing up with Telstra.
    It's locked to AT&T, I rang them and was told it will be locked till 31 Dec 2010 due to there system over there, so i got a Rebelsim Card in the post couple days ago.
    That seems to have unlocked the phone, now showing Telstra Mobile in the corner, but i can't activate it because I can't connect to the web. It's asking for APN.
    I have tried (telstra.iph) also (telstra.internet) that i read in other posts but nothing works.
    Sorry to be long winded, just want to start using this new fangled bit of kit.
    Thanks
    Peter