1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I decided to "upgrade" to the Palm Pixi Plus from my original Palm Pre - thought I'd share my thoughts with you to help anyone else considering this move.

To be clear, I am comparing the GSM original Palm Pre with the new GSM Palm Pixi Plus.

Palm Pixi Plus - PROS

• Keyboard The keyboard on the Pixi is absolutely brilliant. There is plenty of travel, it's easy to distinguish between keys with a fingertip and it's responsive. It's the best I've used since my BlackBerry Bold 9000. It gives a satisfying *click* when you press a key - which despite what you might imagine, wasn't annoying at all - it feels great. I also like the way the keyboard is always within reach - there's no need to slide anything - you're ready to go at all times.

• Form Factor The phone is incredibly light and seems approximately half the thickness of the Pre. I couldn't even feel it in my pocket, which I loved. I much prefer the candybar form factor to the slider concept - that's just personal taste.

• Buttons The volume rocker, power button and ringer switch are all much better than the Pre in my opinion - they're raised and covered in rubber which makes them much easier to press. They are also 'clickier' which is a good thing.

• Speaker Quality I don't know if the Pre Plus has been updated too - but the speaker quality on the Pixi Plus is WAY BETTER than the original Pre. I always disliked how tinny the Pre was - the Pixi is not leaps and bounds better, but it does have a fuller sound and that all important touch of bass (relatively speaking - this thing ain't no subwoofer).

• GPS Perhaps I had a dud Pre, but the GPS was always slow and inaccurate - my Pixi Plus pinpointed me in seconds and Google Maps was responsive and smooth.

• Operating System WebOS is identical - this isn't a "dumbed down" operating system we're working with. Do be aware that certain features aren't enabled yet, for example the GPU, but I'll talk about that later. For a budget phone this baby is running a great operating system and it's the real deal.

Palm Pixi Plus - CONS
    • Screen Size The screen is smaller. My first reaction was - "that's pretty good! It's not as small as I thought it was going to be!" but once you begin using the phone you really, really miss those extra 80 pixels. Remember as soon as you get a notification you're going to lose another portion of the screen - I think it would be fine if you're a first time WebOS user, but coming from the Pre it is pretty noticable.

• Screen Quality Ouch. Here's one I hadn't expected. The Pixi has a dreadful screen when compared to the Pre. The colours are washed out, things are altogether less crisp and you can't increase the brightness to the same levels as the Pre. It makes everything look a bit muddy and dated, whereas the screen on the Pre is vivid and beautiful.

• Processor Listen - it's noticeable. I've read comments from people saying that it's faster than the stock Pre - it simply isn't true. That's not to say that this thing chugs - it gets by just fine, the animations are smooth (mostly) and the apps load in acceptable times and I've had it running smoothly with up to 6 cards open. But the whole experience feels genuinely is that touch slower. I'd liken it to a feeling of resistance like you're wading through ankle deep water - you can still run, but you're definitely hindered.

• No 3D Games I knew what I was getting myself into - and to be fair I rarely play 3D games anyway, but what I've come to realize is that there is a very big difference between CHOOSING not to play games and simply being incapable of even installing them - it makes the device feel a little crippled knowing what its big brother is capable of. It feels like a whole aspect of WebOS has been locked away out of reach. This extends to non-3D games and PDK apps, including NES emulators and suchlike. How are you going to get your Mario fix now?

• Camera Ouch. Another sting that I wasn't expecting - I knew that the camera was 2 megapixels instead of 3, but I figured it'd still be pretty good. It isn't. It is terrible. It's just not worth taking pictures - they're muddy, grainy and the colours are faded - it reminded me of my old Sony Ericsson dumbphone from 2001. It does shoot video, but the resulting quality is the same story.

• Photo Viewer The photo viewer on an 800mhz overclocked Pre is still pretty slow and laggy at times - but this is another story. Don't expect to wow your friends with this on the Pixi. They'll get bored waiting.

Conclusion

I can't help coming to the same conclusion as most reviewers - the Pixi Plus is an AWESOME device for a first-time-smartphone-buyer and it's certainly a step up from even the flagship smartphones I've used from other companies (I'm looking at you, Nokia). But it's not for me - and it probably isn't for you if you're already sitting on the fence.

Truth is the Pixi is a bit too slow even for a regular user, and more so for a power user - coupled with the fact that the screen and other features just feel second rate, everything feels a bit too budget.

Having said that, I almost kept the little thing simply on the merit of its wonderful keyboard and form factor - it kills me to have to go back to typing on my original Pre. I'm gonna send it back and hope to replace it with a Pre Plus for the best WebOS experience.

Hope this helps some of you make your decisions
    errade
    Last edited by errade; 06/04/2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Great review mate, some definite surprises I wasn't expecting like the quality of the screen. I was kinda hoping that due to the screen size being a little bit smaller and the resolution a little bit less, that the quality would be about on par with the Pre.

It's definitely a phone for a first-time smartphone user. Just a shame Palm couldn't make a Pre but in Pixi's shell - that'd be perfect
    I don't agree on screen quality though I don't have a Pre to compare.
    I was surprised to see my pictures looked good on Flickr/Ipernity, and I am picky about color fidelity.
    If the Pixi was constantly slow, it would be ok... but sometimes it is stuck for seconds. This is really annoying. But I am not ready to change, because this is the form factor + the OS I want...
    I've said it before i will say it again...

Palm's next device should be a "Pixi for Business" - Pixi for factor with a Pre screen and interiors...

Its the Treo reborn in WebOS. WIth improved security, it will give BB's a run for theeir money.
    Got mine last Friday and so far I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would initially.

I'd agree pretty much with the OP's list but haven't had a chance to use the camera yet.

The screen seems fine to me, but I would rather the device was a bit heavier.

My Pre is in for repair so I have a bit of time to give the Pixi a proper workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    Got mine last Friday and so far I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would initially.

I'd agree pretty much with the OP's list but haven't had a chance to use the camera yet.

The screen seems fine to me, but I would rather the device was a bit heavier.

My Pre is in for repair so I have a bit of time to give the Pixi a proper workout.
    How did you manage to get a Pixi while your Pre is in for repair? I am handing my Pre into 02 today for repair and scared they give me a dumb phone
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUK View Post
    How did you manage to get a Pixi while your Pre is in for repair? I am handing my Pre into 02 today for repair and scared they give me a dumb phone
    I bought the Pixi from o2 online for 220 as I wasn't eligible for an upgrade.

Returning my Pre for repair was unrelated.
    Got my Pre back from repair today. Pretty quick. First thing I noticed was how big and clunky it felt after a few days with the Pixi.