Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm trying to use QuickInstall to get some apps on my phone. I downloaded and installed the program along with webOSDoctor. The program ran and then I installed Novacom through QuickInstall, and it is running on my computer. It is listed as 'Started' under Services and is listed under the processes in the Task Manager.

Now, every time I hook up my computer to the Pixi, I get the New Hardware Wizard window to install Novacom. It also shows Novacom in the Device Manager with the yellow question mark to signify an incorrect configuration. I have tried to install the drivers through the Driver Package Installer (dpinst.exe) at "Program Files/Palm, Inc/novacom" and I have also tried directing the New Hardware Wizard to search the folder for the drivers. I have tried editing and using the .msi file in the webOSDoctor jar file to reinstall Novacom. I have tried using the stand-alone NovacomInstaller_x86 package. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling QuickInstall, restarting the computer, hard and soft resets on the phone, etc. I have toggled in and out of developer mode and I've downloaded and installed the SDK files and VirtualBox.

I am running Windows XP SP3 32bit and the latest edition of Java. Is there something that I am missing here? Did I bypass a critical step? I've gone through all the threads I could find and nothing seems to be working.

Thanks.
    So what is the problem? Is quick install not recognising your device?
    To me it looks like you explained all that without saying what problem you are having?
    go into services while phone is plugged in and restart services . and just as a side thought . delete everything on computer and start over , and then see if it works for you.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    Ah... I sure didn't. Yes, QuickInstall is not recognizing my device. Getting the standard 'ERROR: No device found' prompt.
  5.    #5  
    I've tried deleting everything, redownloading and reinstalling. Also tried restarting the service, both connected and unconnected.
    sounds like dev mode is not on . make sure its on first thing
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Have you tried restarting your computer and your Pre? I'm sure you've already tried that, but sometimes we overlook the simplest things...
  8.    #8  
    Yep, devmode has been on.
  9.    #9  
    Yes Garrett, I've restarted both several times and at different points in the process.
    if it is not seeing your phone then you need to turn on dev mode . it can be confusing but move the button the the off position so that the on is showing . someone just yesturday had this prob. and this fixed it . at least entertain the thought and try it . it may be your issue. hope this helps
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  11.    #11  
    Shad, devmode is on. I've been toggling it off and on all afternoon trying to get the program to connect.
    ok try a different usb plug . thats the next step
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    it thinks the phone is a modem. In windows just tell it to ingnore and don't ask again. I had that happen when I first got mine, and extensive googling just told me that Windows7 sees something it thinks is a modem and it suggests that I go to sprint.com for the driver that doesn't exist. I have a VZ phone, so I just checked "ignore" and it hasn't come back...

assuming that is the message you are getting from windows. If not, can you post a screen shot of the error dialog?
    then if that does not work go to sprint or where you bought the phone and replace the cable . there have been some reports of the cables being bad
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  15.    #15  
    I've changed between the usb slots, didn't make a difference. Cable is working ok, I've been able to use it to transfer music, photos, etc.

Cant, I've told it not to notify me again, but I'm on XP so I don't think that which works on Windows 7 will help me at this point. When I try to manually install the driver, it pops up a window which says "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

When I try to connect to the phone through QuickInstall, a window pops up titled "No Device Detected" and says "Please connect your device then hit "OK". When I hit ok, a new window pops up titled "ERROR" and says "ERROR: No device detected."

Guys, thanks for the attempts but I'm just going to give it up for now. It's not worth the hassle. Maybe when I get a new computer that isn't 8 years old then I'll give it another shot. Thanks anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by box full of lazy View Post
    I've changed between the usb slots, didn't make a difference. Cable is working ok, I've been able to use it to transfer music, photos, etc.

Cant, I've told it not to notify me again, but I'm on XP so I don't think that which works on Windows 7 will help me at this point. When I try to manually install the driver, it pops up a window which says "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

When I try to connect to the phone through QuickInstall, a window pops up titled "No Device Detected" and says "Please connect your device then hit "OK". When I hit ok, a new window pops up titled "ERROR" and says "ERROR: No device detected."

Guys, thanks for the attempts but I'm just going to give it up for now. It's not worth the hassle. Maybe when I get a new computer that isn't 8 years old then I'll give it another shot. Thanks anyway.
    sorry we couldnt help you sir.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    there is no PC where you can get the friver installed because there isn't one. Something in the phone looks like a DUNS modem and it is trying to find a driver for it, but none exists.

That's how I used to tether to my centro (DUNS). Not sure why it sees the Pre that way. It may be that some carriers will use the DUNS interface. For example, AT&T still offers a "tether plan" for the Pre for $10 per month, and it my use DUNS instead of WiFi. If so, then they will provide software to install, like the old Verizon Access Manager...
    go to c:/program files/palm, inc and double click the novacom while the device is plugged in. It should recognise it regardless of the age of the pc.
    I have this same problem mac side on a VZW Pre Plus. Having done homebrew on the PSP/Iphone/DS, and successfully doing it on my previous pre; I naturally pulled all the stops. Nothing has fixed this problem. Recently got a refurb pre that is flawless. I'd hate to mess with that. So I'm going homebrewless for now. It could just be a glitch on Quickinstall 3.x. I'll wait for the next iteration to try again.
    I had the exact same problem as you had. Every time I connected my phone to the computer, the Novacom and RDNIS Gadget things would pop up, telling me they needed to be installed. But the installations wouldn't work, and Novacom wouldn't reinstall through WebOS Quick Install. WebOS Quick Install didn't even recognize my phone, and neither would WebOS Doctor (which makes it VERY difficult to reset my phone when it won't even detect it).

[Try this before resetting: go to your start menu and press "Run.." When the thing pops up, click Browse... and look for the novacom application in Palm\SDK\bin, or wherever you may have it saved. Run "C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin\novacom.exe". If it doesn't work, then you may need to reset your phone.]

I had to reset my phone. I made sure my data was backed up, and I've had the contents of my Pixi saved on my external hard drive for a while (because I knew the day would come that I'd mess up my phone if I kept at this modding thing). I went ahead and saved my music and picture folders since they were recently updated.

On your phone:
    Go to Device Info.
    Flick to the bottom and press Reset Options.
    I did a Full Erase--not a Secure Full. Not sure if it matters.
    Interestingly enough when it reset it kept my patches/tweaks. I noticed that because I made my name my boot logo, and it showed up.

When the phone comes to, you will be able to choose your language, and then you'll be asked to sign into your Palm account. It will retrieve all your backed up data, and then it will ask for your email/Facebook account login passwords. I didn't like this, but it synced all my Facebook account stuff; all my "friend's" email addresses are in my contact list...

It will have you restart the phone.

After your phone restarts the original wallpaper and everything will be on your main screen, just like when you got the phone. Since I have Dev Mode as an app in my launcher, I went there, and it was off. So I turned it on. I do believe I also went to WebOS Quick Install to install Novacom, which it didn't. It "removed" it. (I uninstalled it from my Control Panel earlier today because some dumb YouTube video told me to.)

So I went the long way. I knew I had novacom on my computer, but I couldn't find it under my running programs in the Task Manager. As long as novacomd.exe is running in your Windows Task Manager (and dev mode is on, of course), you should be all right. I went through the process I typed in bold above, and I have been able to reinstall the Music (Remix) app whereas before it refused to detect my device (when the phone reset Music (Remix) was gone, but all my other apps were there).

Hope this works for you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast