Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How difficult is it to pry open Palm Pixi's glass lens? I plan on replacing it due to a scratch and have no experience opening it up.
    Last edited by plank19; 05/28/2010 at 11:36 PM.
    where the heck will you get another one from?
  3.    #3  
    This site has them:

globaldirectparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PLM4005885&Click=708

Just ordered them.
    Looking at it, i'm guessing it's just stuck down with an adhesive on the back of the glass. There are special plastic lifters i've seen for ipod touches screens, i'm wondering if theyll work on the pixi. Just don't use anything hard like metal, it will dent the side of your screen. Start at a corner and work down, trying not to damage the keyboard, and don't rip it off there may be a ribbon on the back of it.
    When I took mine apart, it looks to be just a bit of double side tape around the screen. The only thing that I may be a concern in the ribbon cable that connects to the screen. I damaged mine while trying open it up (screen was already cracked).

Oh and the screen is plastic not glass, and I doubt you would damage the keyboard as it is just held in by some weak adhesive.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask since I got a spare one in pieces on my desk. I would take pics, but it's late and I don't know where my camera is.
    Too bad they didn't make glass replacements, it would take something pretty hard to scratch that.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by WESBC View Post
    When I took mine apart, it looks to be just a bit of double side tape around the screen. The only thing that I may be a concern in the ribbon cable that connects to the screen. I damaged mine while trying open it up (screen was already cracked).

Oh and the screen is plastic not glass, and I doubt you would damage the keyboard as it is just held in by some weak adhesive.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask since I got a spare one in pieces on my desk. I would take pics, but it's late and I don't know where my camera is.
    Could you post some pictures when you have some free time? I'm really curious to see how it looks like opened. And also, how difficult was it to open and what did you use? Do you think I risk damaging my Pixi?
  8.    #8  
    Ebay has it too:

cgi.ebay.com/Palm-Pixi-Lens-Cover-Screen-Glass-Repair-Part-Tool-/290439342052?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item439f88a7e4
    I cannot post pictures yet since I have yet to reach the 10 post limit. I will update once I meet that requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by plank19 View Post
    Ebay has it too:

cgi.ebay.com/Palm-Pixi-Lens-Cover-Screen-Glass-Repair-Part-Tool-/290439342052?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item439f88a7e4
    Those screens that you are looking for is only one of two parts of the screen. The inside touch screen needs to be separated and transferred onto the new screen. The touch screen is very delicate and can easily crack if bent too much.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by WESBC View Post
    Those screens that you are looking for is only one of two parts of the screen. The inside touch screen needs to be separated and transferred onto the new screen. The touch screen is very delicate and can easily crack if bent too much.
    How do you separate the screen? Is it difficult? was it difficult to get to?
    I haven't separated the two screens yet, because one is already cracked and if I tried, I would end up with pieces that would do no good. This should be my 10th post, so I'll post up what I was originally going to post.
    Note, my touch screen was already damaged prior to disassembly. And upon further inspection I don't think you can easily change out your scratched screen because their are two parts. The plastic outside screen (the one on the website) and the touch screen, not included with the outside screen. It seems to only be held on by double side tape, but the touch screen is very fragile and can crack if bent too much.

I suggest you look through the pictures before you start taking it apart to see if this something you want to go through. I would personally find a source for the touch screen also, because if you can just get both of the screens together without taking the original ones apart, it would make it much more easier.

***Note: I am not responsible for any damage caused while following my instructions. Only use this as a reference***

1. Remove 4 #5 Torx screws located at each corner

2. Lift tabs around edge gently with fingernail, screwdriver used just for reference. Do not separate pieces yet.

3. Lift rubber cap

4. Disconnect wire, I used my finer nail to pop it off

5. Separate the two halves

6. Remove the two phillips screws, one on each side

7. Gently lift from the bottom (two connectors on the top side)

8. Separate the pieces. Note the ribbon on the left (for the screen) is still connected, while the one on the right is detached. Disconnect the connector, I lifted it up with my finger nail.

9. Showing both pieces disconnected

10. Disconnect wire like previously done in step 4

11. Showing pieces separated

12. Gently work your way around the edges to lift the board from the front face. Notice the tabs that hold it in place

13. Showing the pieces separated

14. Showing the keyboard can easily be separated by lifting it up, it is only held on by a weak adhesive.

15. Showing where the ribbon should be. I ripped it off while trying to take it apart the first time.

16.Showing the two layers of screen. I believe the cracked one is the touch screen (inside) while the other is part of the cover (no cracks felt on the outside)

14.    #14  
    Thanks a lot WESBC. That's very helpful!
    Quote Originally Posted by plank19 View Post
    Thanks a lot WESBC. That's very helpful!
    No problem, glad I can help.
    WESBC, were you able to replace the broken digitizer? If so could you pass on where it can be purchased? The only thing I'm finding in my searching is the plastic front cover and not the glass digitizer. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by giveashot View Post
    WESBC, were you able to replace the broken digitizer? If so could you pass on where it can be purchased? The only thing I'm finding in my searching is the plastic front cover and not the glass digitizer. Thanks.
    I haven't been able to source one yet. If someone does, feel free to post up.
    Thanks for the detailed images. i have sourced a complete digitizer but its a little over $40 and ships from china....

2 left and 21 days.. If the link does not work just ebay palm pixi digitizer

I just had a guy call me and ask me about a repair on a pixi and i have never touched one so you guys are of great help to me

If the guy agrees to the price and i pursue the purchase and repair ill let you guys know how it went.
    Quote Originally Posted by deezy View Post
    Thanks for the detailed images. i have sourced a complete digitizer but its a little over $40 and ships from china....

2 left and 21 days.. If the link does not work just ebay palm pixi digitizer

I just had a guy call me and ask me about a repair on a pixi and i have never touched one so you guys are of great help to me

If the guy agrees to the price and i pursue the purchase and repair ill let you guys know how it went.
    cool it would be great if I could get my broken pixi up an running to sell.
    Okay, i have a plam pixi. The glass front cover got stepped on and cracked. So my touch stopped working. So I tried opening it up. I pulled off the glass cover and I didn't realize that I too had ripped the ribbon. Either that or it got ripped somehow when it got stepped on. But thanks to you, WESBC, for posting those helpful photos was I able to see that I had ripped the ribbon. So I guess my question is, with that ribbon ripped and the glass cover removed, is the touchscreen not able to work? (because mine doesn't) So basically I'm wondering if the glass cover and the ribbon is all that needs to be replaced? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast