1.    #1  
    looking for a free wordpress app for my Pixi. i've heard of Poster for Wordpress, but it costs $1.99
    im not cheap, its just that my mom doesnt want to buy me any more apps >.>
    she said "for that, you might as well have gotten an iphone".
    gah what a slore.
    I'm sure you have a spare $1.99 laying around somewhere
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    [url= for WebOS | Keen Studios[/url]
    Actually, that project was canceled. Use Poster, it's a great app, and worth the money.
    Not trying to pick on the current poster/youngster, but I have got to say, I am discouraged by the general attitude that all software should be free. Free/open-source software is a great thing...and I use it, but as a professional developer (i.e., coding = food in my house), I know that making quality software takes time and effort...and a developer that writes it is entitled to be compensated. In fact, that is the only reasonable model that will continue to bring quality software to WebOS...at least for now.

The OP mentioned in a separate thread that he has a macbook pro (must have cost at least $1000), a Pre, and a phone plan (must cost at least $600 per year...if not more)...yet $1.99 is an issue for software that is currently rated at 4.5 stars. That's discouraging.

Young man, I don't lack sympathy for your situation, but I suggest that you find $1.99 (or do the equivalent in chores) and then ask your mother if she can charge it on her credit card if you pay her in advance. You may actually end up impressing her with your responsibility.

cheers,
    Steve
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Not trying to pick on the current poster/youngster, but I have got to say, I am discouraged by the general attitude that all software should be free. Free/open-source software is a great thing...and I use it, but as a professional developer (i.e., coding = food in my house), I know that making quality software takes time and effort...and a developer that writes it is entitled to be compensated. In fact, that is the only reasonable model that will continue to bring quality software to WebOS...at least for now.
    I disagree the best apps on webos atm are free.. The majority of the payed ones are crap.

The OP mentioned in a separate thread that he has a macbook pro (must have cost at least $1000), a Pre, and a phone plan (must cost at least $600 per year...if not more)...yet $1.99 is an issue for software that is currently rated at 4.5 stars. That's discouraging.
    Who cares what he uses for a pc(could be his mothers), phone plan(again on mom's plan) or for that matter what the rating of the app is. The op clearly stated his mom doesn't want him buying any more apps no where did he mention she said 2 bucks was to much. He's asking for an alternative to a payed app and with good reason seeing as both other major os's have free ones.

Young man, I don't lack sympathy for your situation, but I suggest that you find $1.99 (or do the equivalent in chores) and then ask your mother if she can charge it on her credit card if you pay her in advance. You may actually end up impressing her with your responsibility.

cheers,
    Steve
    This I agree with.
    If you can't or won't buy something that another developer put his time into, you can always learn to program and build one for yourself 100% free of charge.
  7.    #8  
    @kesne it was? hmm..guess I'm kind of late in finding that out D:

@scuba_steve no offense at all! I personally don't think all software should be free. devs take time and work with the platform to make their apps work just right, and release them out to the world hoping for the best. however it is their choice to charge or not to. I did like poster (from the screenshots, at least), but unfortunately I have no credit card, and my mom holds hers close to her iron heart. admittedly, I do have a macbook pro 15", the latest model, but my grandparents bought it for me, not my mom :/ and yes I have a Sprint Pixi only because my upgrade was overdue and they charged her like <$50 for it. she's so frugal, it kills me D:
    I have NO idea where you got the impression that I've a Pre. maybe I made a typo, it happens often, but no. no Pre here..I've no idea how much my phone plan costs, because my parents pay for it (under my mom's name). but we're all premiere customers. and yes, I have totally tried giving her $5 compensation for the payment of this app. but she's so reluctant with that darn piece of plastic, I swear.

@helidos I love the free apps on webOS. and yes, it isn't a matter of the price. it's mainly the fact that she won't buy anymore apps for my phone, mind you the only app bought to date was Tweed (great investment). I think she's just jealous that I have a great multitasking device and she has her lame restarting-daily blackberry.

well, I didn't expect you all to sympathize with me, doubt anyone would, but I appreciate all of your responses, and I'll have you know that I'm only 16, and I TRULY know how hard it is to develop an app. -sigh-
    I dont blame you for agreeing with scuba_steve. he makes a fine point.
    and @merkel85, although I'm 800% sure you're being sarcastic, I only know HTML, Flash, and a dash of JavaScript. its amazing what they can teach you in schools, these days I guess I can make my own app. although it'd take time and a full learning process from hell. I'll get right on it. expect an app..whenever. hah. not joking, though. I'll try.

thanks again. and wish me luck
    I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Another bonus is that you can make the app exactly how you want it. Go open up palm ares and dive in. You will be amazed at just how quickly you can pick this up.
  9.    #10  
    gahh! I'm doing just that