Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I am new to this forum, but an old friend of Palm. I had the first Palm Pilot (that wasn't a phone). Then I got one of the first few Palms that were a phone. After that I switched to Windows Mobile. I am a real phone nerd, but I don't have other friends who are. I was just notified that I can upgrade my AT&T account early, so I started research. I like the iphone, but I just refuse to buy it. It is such a fad, and I just believe there is something else. I immediately settled on Palm. And the obvious outcome was which one? Pre Plus or Pixi Plus? I have done a lot of research but I still would appreciate a personal recommendation from some fellow phone nerds. Let me tell you what is important to me. First, video. I currently have the Samsung Epix (320x320 touchscreen, Winmo). It has great 320x240 video, and I am ready to upgrade to 640x480. I THINK I understand that the Pixi Plus has VGA (640x480). I know the Pre Plus has is. Second, I guess is synchronization with Outlook. Third is smaller size. Fourth is a larger touchscreen with hardware keyboard. I like to play Youtube on WIFI. I don't talk on the phone a lot. I guess my real struggle is about size vs. larger screen and more speed. The Pre is pretty fat. My Epix is only 0.5" thick but a lot taller. I really like thin, but the Pre has 16 GB and a larger screen (320x480). I currently have a 2GB trans flash card and am looking forward to the 8-16 gB upgrade. I know the 640x480 video takes up a lot of space. I understand the Pixi will come out early in June (?). I am going to buy in the next few weeks. I would really appreciate your feedback.

Rob
    Personally, I love the Palm Pre+. The pixi feels more like the old Centro. Either is a million times better than any WinMo phone from the last generation of smart phones (I still can't figure out how Palm came up with the idea of the 700wx... what a train wreck).

Anyway, the Pre+ has the same resolution as the iPhone.

Here is an excellent Pre+ review that has some of the info you are asking about:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...od-review.html
    Ps. the Pre+ is 320x480...
    Personally, I chose the Pre+ because I wanted the larger screen. However, both do Youtube video very well.

Once quick note, both phones assume that you want to do your outlook sync via gmail, yahoo mail, etc.

I am legendary in my opposition to this. It's fine for some users, but not me. PM me if you want a pointer to my previous diatribes on this.

But, it you want to do outlook sync the way you did with your older Palm phones, you will wind up buying an app from a 3rd party. I personally use Pocket Mirror. There are others that area also good. I like Pocket Mirror because it uses WiFi and Bluetooth for truly wireless sync with my PC.

I didn't want to spend the $40 for this, but in hindsight this is the best $40 I've spent on my Pre.

Once you have the scoop on the specs between the Pre and Pixi, you should go to a store where you can try them both side by side. They have different CPUs (so far there is no overclocking for the Pixi) but many like the keyboard and candybar style of the Pixi. I really expected that to be the case for me, but the larger screen and CPU concinved me to start with the Pre, and after a couple of days I was totally happy with the Pre+.

I hope that helps!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks very much - your comments help. I am still back and forth. I held a Pre+ one time and it seemed fairly small, but 0.67" is the actual dimension, and that pretty thick in my opinion. It's just harder to fit in a pocket. It is rounded, and that helps. I look forward to more feedback. I will be watching reviews on Youtube....

Rob
    I don't think it will feel "thick" after you use it. In fact, I usually use an extended battery that almost doubles the thickness, and I still don't mind it.

Besides, it's like a rosary. You won't ever put it in your pocket, you will fidget with it constantly even when you aren't using it...

I find that the Pre is better in my pocket, because it isn't as long as the Pre. That way I don't risk snapping the phone in half when I sit down...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/24/2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Ps. the Pre+ is 320x480...
    PPS - And the Pixi+ is 320x400
    The Pre fits in the pocket just fine. But as the previous poster said, it will be in one of your hands most of the time because you will be constantly using it. I think the pebble design makes it nice and gives it a small feel. I personally don't add any heft to it by adding a protective case of any kind. I recommend the InvisibleShield for protection.
  9.    #9  
    That makes sense. However, I usually wear a belt holster/case. I don't like putting stuff in my back pockets, and I have my wallet in my front left, and my keys in my front right. I guess I need to look at some Pre belt clips. As an extreme phone nerd, I always notice when somebody has this huge, old, fat phone on their belt. The slim phone makes a phone nerd just a little bit cool :-) Having said that, I am still leaning about 55% towards the Pre + because of the screen and memory. I really value your opinions and look forward to other helpful comments. A new phone for me is a huge deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by toughguy1 View Post
    That makes sense. However, I usually wear a belt holster/case. I don't like putting stuff in my back pockets, and I have my wallet in my front left, and my keys in my front right. I guess I need to look at some Pre belt clips. As an extreme phone nerd, I always notice when somebody has this huge, old, fat phone on their belt. The slim phone makes a phone nerd just a little bit cool :-) Having said that, I am still leaning about 55% towards the Pre + because of the screen and memory. I really value your opinions and look forward to other helpful comments. A new phone for me is a huge deal.
    If you really want to see how small the Pre is compared to it's "brick like" competition, see the attached image. (Don't even get me started on the "dvd case" HTC EVO. )
    Attached Images Attached Images
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the picture.

This might do the trick for me and still look clean and minimal:

ebay item # 250635172689 (I don't have 10 posts yet.)

It is a belt clip with a plastic screen cover.
    Top 10 reasons why I procrastinate:

1.)
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

Once quick note, both phones assume that you want to do your outlook sync via gmail, yahoo mail, etc.

I am legendary in my opposition to this. It's fine for some users, but not me. PM me if you want a pointer to my previous diatribes on this.

But, it you want to do outlook sync the way you did with your older Palm phones, you will wind up buying an app from a 3rd party. I personally use Pocket Mirror. There are others that area also good. I like Pocket Mirror because it uses WiFi and Bluetooth for truly wireless sync with my PC.

I didn't want to spend the $40 for this, but in hindsight this is the best $40 I've spent on my Pre.
    I don't know where you got this. My Pre, and thousands of others, have synced directly and natively with Outlook 2007 out of the box. It's one of the main reasons I bought the phone. Unless your company is overly restrictive in allowing your devices to connect with their exchange server, outlook support is a no brainer.
    - Do really want to play advanced 3D games such as Need For Speed and The Sims?
    - Do plan to have 8 or more GB of music and movies on the device at any given moment?

If you answered yes to either of these questions, then go with a Pre+. Otherwise, go with a Pixi+. The form factor is leaps and bounds better, many complain about the usability of the sliding keyboard. Both keyboards are great, but the pixi keyboard is superior.

In terms of software (email, calander, etc) they are identical.

In my own personal opinion, the Pixi looks more professional. It looks like a fancy BB from the future; the Pre looks like a kids toy from Star Trek.
  14.    #14  
    For now, I could totally live with 8 GB. I currently live with 2 GB (but I don't have music on there). With the 640x480 video and adding music, I think I would eventually appreciate the 16 GB. Better still camera is appealing too. I typically do not play a lot of games, but that could change. I think I would appreciate the larger and brighter screen for Youtube and videos. Unless somebody provides some hard encouragement or convincing details towards the Pixi, I am currently leaning about 60% towards the Pre +. I love thin, but the Pre is tipping the scale at this point.

1.)
    Personally I use a Sprint Pixi, but my reasons for originally foregoing the Palm Pre have been addressed with the Pre Plus (i.e. improved build quality, clickier keyboard, additional memory, etc). If I were in your position now, I would most definitely purchase the Pre Plus. Although the Pixi may look a lil' bit more sleek & trendy, in reality the Pre Plus puts it to shame in the performance department in general. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I will sell you my pre on june 4th...!!! It will be officially out of service on that date...
    FYI, here is an interesting new twist on a kewl holster and improved battery life... Doesn't work with Touchstone, but might be just as good in certain situations...

I'm intrigued!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...er-review.html
  18.    #18  
    I am probably 75% leaning towards the Pre + now. I had a long conversation with a real phone nerd friend of mine from back home in the upstate of SC. He convinced me that a big screen, better camera, more memory, faster speed, outweighs the thickness issue. After my evening cocktail, I might go ahead and order. I really appreciate your help, and look forward to other forum discussions in the future.

1.)
    Quote Originally Posted by toughguy1 View Post
    I am probably 75% leaning towards the Pre + now. I had a long conversation with a real phone nerd friend of mine from back home in the upstate of SC. He convinced me that a big screen, better camera, more memory, faster speed, outweighs the thickness issue. After my evening cocktail, I might go ahead and order. I really appreciate your help, and look forward to other forum discussions in the future.
    I recommend that you do two things...

First, go to a Verizon store (company store, not a mall Kiosk). Play with both phones. Ignore the salesman behind you as he trashes Palm and tries to sell you a Droid... don't buy anything from him no matter what he says...

Then, once you are sure there weren't any deal-breakers in how they felt in your pocket, typing, etc... Go home and order on-line from Verizonwireless.com, or call *611 and order it from customer service...
    I have come to realize that, while I want a smartphone to occasionally access email, very occasional web, full keyboard for texting, great contact handling, etc, ..I really DO NOT want to carry around a fairly fragile device like most slab form factor smartphones...SO...that is why the PIXI intrigues me so much...I love the form factor.....but will I be sorry in terms of battery life and performance..essentialy I just need a step up from my basic flipphone....something like a Blackberry pearl in form factor..and the PIXI seems closest on verizon at least. Thoughts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast