Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    I don't know where you got this. My Pre, and thousands of others, have synced directly and natively with Outlook 2007 out of the box. It's one of the main reasons I bought the phone. Unless your company is overly restrictive in allowing your devices to connect with their exchange server, outlook support is a no brainer.
    That's my point, you are syncing with EXCHANGE, not Outlook. Outlook is the client on your PC. If you are syncing out of the box you are using EAS which sinks with the server, not the client. The OP specified that they want to sync with Outlook... and there are many people that use Outlook without Exchange...

I can't do that because I have to use the VPN to get access to the Exchange server...

Yes, my company is overly restrictive. No, they don't care what I think. I don't get to vote on their policy, and neither do you.. If you can get them to listen to you, I would really appreciate it...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/25/2010 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmackd1 View Post
    I will sell you my pre on june 4th...!!! It will be officially out of service on that date...
    He wants a Plus on VZ, and you are apparently on Sprint. But, I've seen others post that they are looking for a used Pre. If nothing else, donate it to the homebrew community for developers to use...

Weeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by jiholl5333 View Post
    I have come to realize that, while I want a smartphone to occasionally access email, very occasional web, full keyboard for texting, great contact handling, etc, ..I really DO NOT want to carry around a fairly fragile device like most slab form factor smartphones...SO...that is why the PIXI intrigues me so much...I love the form factor.....but will I be sorry in terms of battery life and performance..essentialy I just need a step up from my basic flipphone....something like a Blackberry pearl in form factor..and the PIXI seems closest on verizon at least. Thoughts?
    Personally, I think you will quickly catch the same addiction we all have and find yourself doing all kinds of stuff with your phone that you didn't think you ever would. Kind of like the way everyone lives on Facebook but until a few years ago were saying they weren't interested in it.

That said, I agree that the Pixi is slick. I bought the Pre for screen size and CPU. If I had only wanted to duplicate the way I was using my Centro, I would have gone with the Pixi. I wish Palm had used the same guts in both of them so the decision was strictly form factor... but we've seen clearly that they are clueless about marketing... just sayin'

In terms of battery life, I haven't heard any issues of the Pre having less. Palm specs show the Pixi having the same standby time, and 30 minutes less talk time. As much fun as webOS is, you will hammer your battery to the point of charging it multiple times a day until some of the newness wears off and the battery gets broken in... It happens to everyone.

However, battery is a factor in that there isn't the broad range of extended batteries available. Both phones use the same anemic battery as the Centro does - 1150mAh. The pixi can use the 3rd party batteries that fit under the standard back (1350mAh and 1400mAh from two vendors). The are batteries available for the Pre all the way up to 3800mAh for the Pre (more than 3x the capacity) because they also come with an extended battery cover. I know you are focused on slim so you aren't a good candidate for a battery big enough to start your car... but a lot of us use them and don't mind the bulk.

If you go with the Pixi I recommend you get one of the 3rd part batteries I mentioned, and an external charger so you can have a fresh one available at all times. Palm phones aren't really worse than other smartphones, people just use them so much more, often without realizing it.

The storage memory isn't a big deal, but the system memory could be. The Sprint Pre has the same memory (256k) and some have blamed that for the infamous "too many cards open" error message.

I think you have the facts, but I strongly encourage you to play with each for a few minutes in the store. You can assume that the VZ rep won't have a clue about how it works, so you should visit the Palm site and watch their short videos so you will understand the 6 basic gestures needed to use webOS. They are gesture left, gesture right, gesture tap. Swipe left, swipe right, swipe up.

Those are consistent across every application, so 5 minutes learning those and you will be a pro... without them, you wont be able to figure out how to play with the phone in a meaningful way... which is another reason VZ doesn't sell very many...
    Ps, even though the Pre technically has a "slower" processor, I haven't seen anyone complaining about performance. Games and flash (someday) could be an issue, and there is currently no way to overclock the Pixi. But Pixi users haven't complained about performance, and generally don't have as many hardware problems.

Oh, about hardware. Everyone here whines about "oreo affect" where the two haves can be "twisted" like an oreo. Personally, I think that was only a problem with the original phones, and is mostly imaginary (i said mostly, so please hold the flames).

There has to be a little play between the haves so it can slide open/closed. If you keep "testing" for play (oreo) you will possible create the very thing you are checking for. Sort of like checking to see if a sore muscle still hurts so it won't heal...

We all seem to have forgotten how flip phones were, and how they would loosen up over time... I've had 5 Pres since I upgraded in January (it's a long story). All of them had a TINY bit of play, but nothing I considered to be a problem - until I started reading all the panic and whining about it here... As I looked at it, and compared it to other slider phones, I realized they were fine. In fact, the one I have now is almost too tight to slide it open with one finger. I am glad it's tight as I expect it to loosen up like flip phones do. My point is, most of the hardware issues were either imagined Oreo or keyboard issues that were solved with the 1.4.1 update... Other than that, I think they are both well built. I've learned to ignore those that continue to cry that Palm will fail if they don't come out with better hardware in the next few months. Other than wishing for a slightly larger screen for my old eyes... I think the Pre+ and Pixi+ are great hardware right now... IMHO
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That's my point, you are syncing with EXCHANGE, not Outlook. Outlook is the client on your PC. If you are syncing out of the box you are using EAS which sinks with the server, not the client. The OP specified that they want to sync with Outlook... and there are many people that use Outlook without Exchange...
    OK, you are right, I wasn't actually aware that Outlook was still available as a standalone program. I thought with 2007 it had all migrated to an Exchange server model.

So do you think it's fair to tell our friend Toughguy1...
    1. Exchange sync support is direct and easy as long as your company allows it (most do, but you might want to ask before buying)
    2. Outlook standalone sync must be done in conjunction with Google, Yahoo, Pocket Mirror, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    OK, you are right, I wasn't actually aware that Outlook was still available as a standalone program. I thought with 2007 it had all migrated to an Exchange server model.

So do you think it's fair to tell our friend Toughguy1...
    1. Exchange sync support is direct and easy as long as your company allows it (most do, but you might want to ask before buying)
    2. Outlook standalone sync must be done in conjunction with Google, Yahoo, Pocket Mirror, etc.
    I wouldn't say "most do"... I think it's more likely that they will allow Pop/IMAP access than to allow an open EAS connection. It's different for people like me because I don't work in a company office, so 100% of my access is over a VPN. If I worked at HQ, EAS wouldn't be such a big deal.

Then I like to add my standard editorial rant that I would never sync my business information with a cloud service that indexes my info and has consistently proven that they don't respect confidentiality.... which is why I use Pocket Mirror and outlook. That's also the paradigm that is most familiar to people with lot's of experience with PalmOS PDAs and Smartphones. Assuming that they will want to use Google for everything can really confuse users that are expecting the Palm the knew and loved...
  7.    #27  
    I just bought my Pre + tonight. I paid the $4.99 for the 2 day shipping. Then I bought the nicer belt clip with screen protector on eBay. I should be up and running by Saturday. Talk to you soon.
    Top 10 reasons why I procrastinate:

1.)
    Congrats. Let us know how it goes, and welcome to Pre-addiction. I didn't think I needed half the features a smartphone has, until I started playing with this phone. Now I can't put it down...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12