1.    #1  
    Woooo! Happy 6 months Pixi! Well, really it has been 5 months with the Pixi and 1 with the Pre, but still, all with webOS. So, I thought I would give my own $0.02 about Palm, the Pixi, and the Pre and being with them for 6 months.

Background about me:
    I have been using Sanyo dumbphones for a while now. I think they have the best software for dumbphones, and designs are questionable but all in all they are very nice devices. I had bulky Sanyo flip phone, then after my contract was up I purchased a Sanyo Katana II. I was really disappointed in the build quality of the Katana II compared to the original, but all in all I really enjoyed Sanyo's products, never had a problem with any of them. Finally, my dad got sick of using dumbphones, and got a data plan from Sprint. He went and got a HTC Mogul (horrible excuse for a smartphone) and I kept using Sanyo for about another 18 months. Finally, he traded in his Mogul for a Blackberry Curve, then a Blackberry Bold 9650 (just came today) and I have been using webOS for 6 months.

I love to hate Apple. I hate everything they do. I cannot tell you how much I hate walking by Apple stores and looking at the sleek iPhones and telling myself, "Don't worry, someone will catch on other than Apple." FINALLY, CES 2009 made me jump for joy. Palm announced the Pre. Closed hardware, closed OS, what could go wrong? I wait for my contract to go up and I buy a Pre. 2 days later, Verizon announced the Pre+ with improved performance and hardware. That one was a punch in the stomach. I returned my Pre for a Pixi cause the battery life was horrible and the Pixi had a smaller screen and weaker processor. 6 months has gone by, and I think I have started at 1.3.1 and now I am at 1.4.1. All in all, solid improvements. Sorry for the long background, but here we go.

The Good:
    The Pixi is probably the sexiest phone out there. Very thin, very small, and pretty powerful chipset. The screen is gorgeous, very sharp and very accurate when I tap it. The OS is very intuitive, multi tasking is simple and fun. The homebrew community is fantastic, I used preware for a while, but now I am just running stop webOS. The price was attractive as well, especially for a younger customer. Also, it doesn't have an Apple logo on the back, which is very satisfying.

The Bad:
    I am an awkward, 17 year old high school student, and I have a phone called the Pixi. Might as well put a sign on my back saying "Beat the crap out of me, please". Good thing I am 6'3". People come up to me saying, "is that the Palm pre?" and I say, "kinda, it runs the same software, it is called the Pixi" then they laugh and walk away. Moving on. The phone can be horribly slow. I mean, honestly, they have to stop focusing on flash and all that crap and make the phone /usable/. My dumbphone was like lightning compared to this thing. Granted, it did nothing but calls and texts, but I mean, c'mon! This thing has a 600Mhz CPU and a 200MHz (I think) GPU. This thing should haul ***. Also, the pre was NO better, so do not say it is underpowered, cause the 3G iPhone with a 400Mhz archaic processor flies compared to webOS. I WANT SOME PERFORMANCE.

The Ugly:
    I think "The Bad" covers everything, I got a little excited.

So, I always think of a little analogy when I consider Palm and Apple. When it comes to features, Apple has been biting the apple slowly and surely. They started with NO features and a blazing fast OS, and they slowly add more and more features to it and the transition is flawless. As I said, I HATE Apple, but their OS is near perfect. Now, Palm on the other hand ate the steak of features ALL at once in ONE bite. Now, they are stuck digesting it and trying to squash all of the bugs. Microsoft is following Apple by releasing a bare OS and slowing adding features until it is perfect. Palm, stop focusing on the future, and fix the NOW. The webOS 1.5 release should only focus on performance. I watched the developers day keynote and I am happy with what they are saying. Took them long enough.

Overall:
    The Pre and the Pixi are unfinished smartphones. The OS needs a 1Ghz processor to run smoothly and Palm thought it would be a good idea to make their second phone weaker than their first. I love you Palm, but you guys bit off more than you could chew.

P.S.
    About the whole Android fad, I think Google is winning merely from kick *** advertisements, Palm's are a joke.
    Last edited by Schmid7y; 05/19/2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Great review. Dont worry, Im a 25 yr old male teacher with a pixi. Its ok, they dont laugh when I show them how it works.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    Great review. Dont worry, Im a 25 yr old male teacher with a pixi. Its ok, they dont laugh when I show them how it works.
    Thank you! And I agree, once I show everyone how advanced it really is, jaws drop.
    i don't understand why they would laugh about the pixi... maybe they don't know what it is.. but people know better than to laugh in my face lol.. if they don't have an iphone or a droid, then my pixi is better than yours anyways lol
    good review. I have had very few issues with my Pixi. It runs much faster than my Centro, unless I have more than four cards open, which is rare. I have had to pull the battery once and have gotten the TMC only a few times. I'm a 50 yr old male and proudly carry a Pixi. It met my needs better than anything except maybe an iphone, but I live in Kansas City and have lots of friends that work for Sprint, so I've been a loyal customer for over 15 years. I waited for 1.4 to drop before I purchased my phone. After seeing the improvements, I jumped on board. I am thrilled with this phone and everyone who sees it is impressed with the form and function. A little larger size with a bigger screen and faster processor and I'll move up again.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mofishmgr View Post
    A little larger size with a bigger screen and faster processor and I'll move up again.
    Thanks, and I agree, the Pixi has a fantastic form factor, I am not sure how they would have a bigger screen though, considering the Pixi's screen is already larger than most Blackberries. Any bigger it would look huge.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    i havent even seen a palm ad in months. they seem to have no plan to market these phones. and with VZ murdering GPS I can't see why anyone buy one of these. I like my pixi but am so ****ed at VZ over this. rumor on palm forum is that VZ will NOT be fixing GPS access.
    when people ask the name of your phone, tell them it is a 'pixi-saurus' or 'the pixinator'...
    Is there a way to delete the whole conversion with a contact instead of deleting them one by one?

Looking for a delete all
    Quote Originally Posted by KingArthur72076 View Post
    Is there a way to delete the whole conversion with a contact instead of deleting them one by one?

Looking for a delete all
    Go to the conversation screen and swipe it off, it deletes the entire conversation. If you want to delete multiple conversations, then keep swiping. You dont have to hit delete on each one. Just the last one.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    when people ask the name of your phone, tell them it is a 'pixi-saurus' or 'the pixinator'...
    Haha! I just say a small pre
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    Go to the conversation screen and swipe it off, it deletes the entire conversation. If you want to delete multiple conversations, then keep swiping. You dont have to hit delete on each one. Just the last one.
    Thanks
  13.    #13  
    Thanks
    A simple Google search should have done the trick, no need for thread hijacking
    Nice review. When mine works, I like it. Still won't play sound from videos at foxnews.mobi & a flipping iPhone plays them without a hitch. Very sad we spent so much $$$ on the Pixi and it's not lived up to the hype. Sprint hasn't helped matters much either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    A simple Google search should have done the trick, no need for thread hijacking
    Actually...my question was one of my gripe about the pixi. I could have done a simply google but then what the point in having a forum. I was trying to be active.

But anyway...I've read some bad points about the pixi but I have just come from a Verizon HTC TouchPro2 running on Cricket's network and I hate to say it but the Pixi is a better phone in some ways and some ways not.

My only gripe's really is:
    * I haven't seen a successfully tethering option for Pixi with windows 7
    * Wish it had a bigger screen...but its good for what it is.
    * Was looking for "select all" for deleting

I guess for me coming from a windows mobile phone the pixi is very nice. Not jacking the thread....just joining in.

* I haven't seen a successfully tethering option for Pixi with windows 7!
    Even if you're using a Sprint Palm Pixi without WiFi, you can tether a Windows 7 laptop via a USB connection to the Pixi, and MyTether! I installed MyTether onto my girlfriends Sprint Palm Pixi.

Our Windows 7 laptop connects to the Internet easily enough, we just plug the Pixi's USB cable into any USB port on the Windows 7 laptop. Once connected using MyTether on the Pixi, data moves fast enough to keep her happy. That's really all that matters ......
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  17.    #17  
    Actually...my question was one of my gripe about the pixi. I could have done a simply google but then what the point in having a forum. I was trying to be active.
    Asking a random question that is not at all related to the original post is hijacking. You didn't even attempt to make it related.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Asking a random question that is not at all related to the original post is hijacking. You didn't even attempt to make it related.
    he was just asking a question dont attack him for it, and nice review btw
    eveything about that phone ia horrible minus the OS.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hiono View Post
    he was just asking a question dont attack him for it, and nice review btw
    Yeah I'm feeling a bit snappy. And thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    eveything about that phone ia horrible minus the OS.
    Ehh, it looks sexy and the keyboard is nice, along with the screen (for the size it is).