1.    #1  
    Hey forums,
    So, good news to the members! I'm switching from the iPhone 3GS to the Palm Pixi Plus.

I love the iPhone as a whole, but it's just not me. I love my MacBook and I still love Apple products, but the iPhone OS is just so plain and boring. It's not fun to use at all.

So I've made my decision I am going to or am eventually going to switch to the Palm Pixi.

I have a few questions though:
    From users, is the Pixi easy to use? As in for; texting, voice, and web? Those are the three main things that matter.

Is there any word of a new Palm device launching soon? One with expandable memory? Should I wait to purchase my Palm device?

Is there anyway for VBA to work on the Pixi Plus? Will it ever work?

For Pixi users, what do you rate the device out of ten?

Best screen protector?
    Best case?
    Cheap source for a spare battery (I heard battery-life is an issue)?

Thanks for the help,
    Alex
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Ramen View Post
    I have a few questions though:
    From users, is the Pixi easy to use? As in for; texting, voice, and web? Those are the three main things that matter.
    Texting = excellent. the keyboard on the Pixi is nice and comfortable (with the raised keys) and typing is very easy.

Voice = for the most part, it's pretty good. the speakerphone is probably one of the clearest and nicest i've ever used.

Web = pretty much on par with Apple's browser, cept the smaller screen. only thing missing is flash support, and the Pixi will probably get that in the near future. that's more than we can say for the iPhone..

Is there any word of a new Palm device launching soon? One with expandable memory? Should I wait to purchase my Palm device?
    no news on a new Palm phone that i know of. and if memory is an issue and you still want a Palm device, you should get the Pre. (8GB Pixi Plus vs 16GB Pre Plus).

and if there hasn't been an announcement for a new phone by now, it'll be at least a few months before a new phone is released. plus, it look at&t this long to get the Pre/Pixi, imagine the wait until the next phone unless it is released straight to the GSM carriers!

8ish.

decent battery life, definitely not horrible.
    needs more apps/IM options.
    lags a bit at times, but again, not horrible or impeding.

Cheap source for a spare battery (I heard battery-life is an issue)?
    Amazon or PreCentral's store.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    get a new centro battery on ebay. I picked up 2 brand new for $3 each and they work great!!
    Last edited by brdl04; 05/16/2010 at 07:01 AM.
    [QUOTE=Doctor Ramen;2455018
    Is there anyway for VBA to work on the Pixi Plus? Will it ever work?

yes the vba is posible i dont think anyone is working on it though.

i would give my pixi a 9 its a pretty great phone and next month 3d gaming and hopefully with more developers making games for pixi one may start making emulators so ya its a pretty great phone and btw one word PREWARE
  5.    #5  
    Thank you for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    get a new centro battery on ebay. I picked up 2 brand new for $3 each and they work great!!
    Just ordered two new ones for $8 :]

What do you guys recommend for a case/screen protector?
    Also, I heard the camera on the pixi is pretty bad. I'm sorry I'm asking of so much, but may you please post some sample images?

Thanks again,
    Alex
    I actually have one (pixi) on order and am not going to get a case for it. I have screen protectors for mine and my gfs (also on the way) but the backs on them are replaceable and so i'm going to just wait until the back gets messed up and get the orange touchstone backing. It's cheaper :-).
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Also, I heard the camera on the pixi is pretty bad. I'm sorry I'm asking of so much, but may you please post some sample images?
    for a phone, the camera is pretty good. if i could find my phone i'd post some pics. perhaps later!
    I'm gonna get flak for this, but, even though there has been no announcement, it is VERY STRONGLY suspected that Palm will be coming out with a new device this summer or fall; in fact, carrier inventory screens have been showing Palm devices undergoing testing at Palm's HQ for months now, with codenames such as "C40" and "PPRIM". A source that has in the past proven to be very reliable has stated that Palm's new device is going to be 'very impressive' on the hardware side and following the Pre's form factor of a portrait slider albeit bigger and flatter.

Since nobody in the tech press really cares for Palm, secrecy is pretty easy to achieve for them, and it is assumed that Palm is going to wait until after Apple releases the iPhone 4G and the possible "oh, and one more thing" iPhone HD to announce their new device and try to take as much wind as possible out of Apple's sails - just the same way Apple did last year by releasing the 3GS alias "Palm Pre hardware plus a compass in an iPhone 3G shell" directly after the Pre's ultra-late release date half a year after its initial announcement. Palm simply don't want to blow their load early, again.

So unless you're in love with the Pixi's form factor - which would be understandable - and do not care for faster hardware or 3D games all that much (although the word on the street is that Pixi might get 3D gaming capabilities with an upcoming webOS update), it's very possible that you might end up being happier if you waited for another few months to see Palm's next offering. That being said, the Pixi is certainly a capable handset and quite impressive as it offers very nearly the full webOS experience in a package so small and light that you barely feel it in your hand. And it will be much cheaper than Palm's new high-end device, of course.