Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well to be honest, I was going to get a Hero.. but this was free, so screw it. So far I am pleased with it. My first "smart phone" was the HTC touch. Liked the phone but not the OS. Switched to the Samsung S30 (this is the idiots smart phone. More of just a multimedia phone) Now I am here. I am slowly picking up the OS and soon will be getting the filecoaster along with some of the homebrew apps I have been looking at. I must say the following on and the support for this OS is inspiring and looks like it'll be fun.

Chris
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Welcome to the forum!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    much appreciated

Not to mention this forum uses Vbulletin, which I am a mod on a different forum that uses the same so it feels nice and cozy here.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodootrip View Post
    Well to be honest, I was going to get a Hero.. but this was free, so screw it. So far I am pleased with it. My first "smart phone" was the HTC touch. Liked the phone but not the OS. Switched to the Samsung S30 (this is the idiots smart phone. More of just a multimedia phone) Now I am here. I am slowly picking up the OS and soon will be getting the filecoaster along with some of the homebrew apps I have been looking at. I must say the following on and the support for this OS is inspiring and looks like it'll be fun.

Chris
    You might find preware nicer to use than filecoaster. But try them both if you want, just don't try downloading preware through filecoaster.

http://www[ dot ]webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware

See installing preware.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    You might find preware nicer to use than filecoaster. But try them both if you want, just don't try downloading preware through filecoaster.

See installing preware.
    Yeah I was reading up on that and it seems like the better way to go. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but this will also allow you to download homebrew apps directly to the phone vice to the computer than transfer correct?
    Yeah I was reading up on that and it seems like the better way to go. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but this will also allow you to download homebrew apps directly to the phone vice to the computer than transfer correct?
    I don't understand what you mean by the last bit?
    Basically, you install it through webOS quick install through your pc. Then it is just an app on the phone like the app catalog.
    Preware will allow you to install homebrew apps, patches and themes while not being plugged into anything. It is all OTA once you have preware on the phone. Its very self explanatory once you have it on the phone.

You are also able to select to only see the free apps and can manage what feeds you get.
  7.    #7  
    That is exactly what I meant. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to download the apps directly to the phone or have to download them to the computer then to the phone. Sorry for the confusion.
    Welcome to your new obsession!
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Hope you took time to run the updates app to make sure you have WebOS 1.4.1.1 - a lot of them are delivered with previous versions and need to be upgraded.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Hope you took time to run the updates app to make sure you have WebOS 1.4.1.1 - a lot of them are delivered with previous versions and need to be upgraded.
    Always forget to mention this one.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Always forget to mention this one.
    This was def. the first thing I did. Last thing I wanted to do was add a bunch of stuff then realize that I had an older version that was not compatible.

btw, it was shipped with the 1.3.?? version
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Serious warning here:
    Be careful not to be consumed with WebOS...it will drag you into a hole from which you will never want to leave!!!! haha.

I have both a HTC Eris and my Palm Pre -by FAR I like my Pre!!! You'll find that WebOS is MUCH more slick and easy to work with than Android! Also, the Homebrew community is INSANELY active and open!!!
  13.    #13  
    Ok, ran into a small issue... WebOS doctor is not recognizing phone. Unplugged phone, rebooted.. no joy. Tried restarting program with phone not plugged in the doing so when cued. No joy.. "Next" button will not highlight so I can move onto next part of installation. Any recommendations?
    Ok, ran into a small issue... WebOS doctor is not recognizing phone. Unplugged phone, rebooted.. no joy. Tried restarting program with phone not plugged in the doing so when cued. No joy.. "Next" button will not highlight so I can move onto next part of installation. Any recommendations?
    installing unofficial apps initially should be through WebOS quick Install, not WebOS doctor, which is a tool to return your phone to factory status.

your system will need Novacom to communicate with the phone, and your phone should be in "dev mode" before the computer can recognize it, please follow the procedure of Preware.
  15.    #15  
    Phone is in Dev mode, triple checked that. Tried to look under the system info to see if Novacom installed, but it's not listed. I have followed the procedure listed all over this website, not sure what I could be missing though. I feel like an ***** now as this seems like a fairly straight forward install with many different tutorials.. Oh well, just put it on standby for now and try to convert all my koz files from my old phone to MP3's..
    Welcome to your new trip I like the pixi...it looks handy and it is smart...

cheers
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Yes, use web os quick install not doctor. Check dev mode "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" in universal search. Oh and make sure you select "Just Charge" when you plug your phone in. Another possibly stupid suggestion but just to be safe, you've tried restarting your computer right?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Try reinstalling the Novacom driver, go to File > Options and click 'Attempt Novacom (re)installation'. Once it's installed, reboot your machine and hopefully your Pixi should be recognised.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    yeah it helps to restart pc after webos qi install
  20.    #20  
    Ok, as suspected... I'm a dumbazz.. but all and all it's good. Got preware downloaded and working like a champ. Can't get the LED torch to work though. I installed the systoolsmgr and still no workie. Any tips for this app?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast