Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I take my 3-year-old dumbphone and iPod Touch with me everywhere, but I'm tired of carrying both devices. I want something that combines the best features of both. An iPhone would be perfect, but AT&T is too expensive for me.

So I decided on a webOS phone, but I can't find much about using the Pixi as a mp3 player has anyone switched from carrying an iPod to just using the Pixi exclusively?

(Also, does the Pixi play music as well as the Pre?)

Thanks!
    I want to know the same thing, as now I use an iPhone 3GS, but if I get the Pixi when it's released on AT&T I don't know if it'll sync with windows media player out off the box as for sure iTunes will reject it once it picks it up as a Palm device (enemies)!

I know there is a program out there called: missing sync, it does say something about been able to sync playlists with windows media player, but since I have never owned a Pixi I don't know in practice if it'll be able to sync music playlists at least with windows media player (which I prefer over iTunes) shuuuuh don't tell Apple, they might sue me or violate my Fourth Ammendment right!
    If you have a smart phone, there is no reason to have an mp3 player as well.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by badhairguy View Post
    If you have a smart phone, there is no reason to have an mp3 player as well.
    I think it entirely depends on the phone's music software (which is what I'm curious about with the Pixi). My current phone can play mp3s and... let's just say I'd rather burn CDs than use it.
  5.    #5  
    Found a thread about the Pre's mp3 sound quality at head-fi.org.

Summary: Problems at first release (hissing, clicks and pops), but sounds fine after 1.1 update. No gapless playback, though
    go with a pre since its faster and has a bigger screen. but the build on pixi is much better
    My Pre hat replace my ipod touch, since I have my Pre, I barely use the Ouch, before I used to play music and podcasts a lot, now with my Pre I don't do that anymore.
    Yes, easily.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    yha, use to to be a iphone user switched to pixi... i watch movies on it and use music works great
    If you EVER (even just once in a while) use your iPod Touch for games, then no. The 3D games don't work on the Pixi and won't for at least a while. If your only use for your iPod Touch is music, then definitely, as long as either the stock player or the upcoming NaNplayer (which you can see videos of).

And also, keep in mind that you're limited to 8GB. I'm not sure what the storage size on your iPod Touch is.
    no. You'll have more space in ur phone and the music player on the ipod is wayyy better.
    I cannot tell the difference in sound between my Palm Pre and my ipod, while the player on the ipod has more features it cannot play cool radio stations such as Pandora, Slacker and Grooveshark.
    Err, not in a million years. I carry a Treo Pro and an iPod Touch and i like it that way. iPod is light enough that i don't even feel it in my pocket. The iPod as a music/podcast and video player can't be beat (not to mention it's other functions as well as the phenomenal jailbreak community), and the times i need internet on the iPod Touch i tether with WMWifirouter.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I cannot tell the difference in sound between my Palm Pre and my ipod, while the player on the ipod has more features it cannot play cool radio stations such as Pandora, Slacker and Grooveshark.
    Did you just say the iPod cannot play Pandora?? I'm assuming you mean the classic iPods and not iPod Touch?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    If you read her post, she said she was tired of carrying around a phone and an ipod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Did you just say the iPod cannot play Pandora?? I'm assuming you mean the classic iPods and not iPod Touch?
    Oh, you ipod can pick up internet while driving down the road?
    With the advent of smartphones the ipod is going the way of the answer machine, pager and other out dated devices.
    I notice no sound quality issues with my Pixi and a set of $30 sony earbuds. Why carry multiple devices unless you bought a massive amount of itunes before the DRM went away.

The pixi is free? or damn close to it. The price belies how awesome the device really is. Advice: Go to a sprint store (not bust buy), bring your headphones, make sure the pixi is 1.4.1.1 and listen... if there are no stock audio tracks ask them to install the free slacker radio (slacker IMO has better audioQ than Pandora), then watch TV, browse youtube, and remember that experience is 3G and not Wifi (you'll be surprised how well it works). Sprint has awesome customer service and all stores have working phones to try out. Even if you end up going to ATT or Verizon, go to a Sprint store first to demo products.

Edit:
    I forgot to mention that I've been using a single earbud for my handsfree. The mic on the Pixi is so awesome that I can carry on conversations with it in my lap while i drive. My wife who's very particular about background noise while we talk hasn't said a word about it..
    I have the Pre Plus on Verizon and it is amazing. I have managed to sync it with Itunes 9.0.1. I also have it set up with a touchstone in my car so it is very easy to switch songs and even works great with pandora/gps. The speaker phone also works well while on the touchstone. I would recommend this over any iPod device. The Pixi is a pretty close second and I know it works on touchstone and iTunes. Unless you have an iPad or a device that needs the latest version of iTunes get it. Even still get it and use a program like doubletwist. WebOs is worth it. Good Luck!
    I have a pre and a 64gb iPod touch, and while I could technically do everything I want from my pre, I have found that this combo is just fantastic. Using mobile hotspot I can use either one anytime for what they are both great at. Honestly the facebook app for iPhone (or touch) blows the palm app away. Also, generally speaking I find that safari is a bit less glitchy than the browser on the pre. And my music collection is over 75 gb and I couldn't imagine limiting myself to just 7 gb of music on me at any given point in time. The times that I only want to carry one device the pre does everything I would want it to just beautifully. Even given the plusses of the iPhone os I just listed I would never give up the multitasking capabilities of webos. So my advice to you would be to get a smartphone but continue to use your touch in conjunction with it most of the time.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast