Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I don't use my phone as a music/video device for two simple reasons: storage and battery.

I already can barely make it through the day on a battery charge. Listening to music or (gasp!) watching video would reduce my Pre's battery to only an hour or two.

As for storage, while there are wireless solutions, I have many gigabytes of music on my iPod. The 8GB in the Pre isn't enough.

If you're always plugged in while you listen to music and you don't have more than a few gig, then maybe the Pixi would work just fine. But I'd hate to miss that important call because my smartphone's battery was dead because I listened to music for a measly hour on my commute.
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncingsoul View Post
    I take my 3-year-old dumbphone and iPod Touch with me everywhere, but I'm tired of carrying both devices. I want something that combines the best features of both. An iPhone would be perfect, but AT&T is too expensive for me.

So I decided on a webOS phone, but I can't find much about using the Pixi as a mp3 player has anyone switched from carrying an iPod to just using the Pixi exclusively?

(Also, does the Pixi play music as well as the Pre?)

Thanks!
    I would have to say yes and yes
    Yes a webOS phone can be used as an mp3 player. Whats better is that you can listen to any mp3 file. You are only limited to 8 or 16 gig depending on which phone you have

Yes the Pixi does play music as well as the Pre
    I prefer the pixi over the pre because Im a long time treo user and have using the hone one handed down to a science. I have my pixi set up to work like my treo
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Oh, you ipod can pick up internet while driving down the road?
    Yes it can, tethered to my Treo Pro via WiFi.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    With the advent of smartphones the ipod is going the way of the answer machine, pager and other out dated devices.
    Yes, with the advent of smartphones..........but not phones like the Pixi with it's 2" + screen..
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I want to know the same thing, as now I use an iPhone 3GS, but if I get the Pixi when it's released on AT&T I don't know if it'll sync with windows media player out off the box as for sure iTunes will reject it once it picks it up as a Palm device (enemies)!

I know there is a program out there called: missing sync, it does say something about been able to sync playlists with windows media player, but since I have never owned a Pixi I don't know in practice if it'll be able to sync music playlists at least with windows media player (which I prefer over iTunes) shuuuuh don't tell Apple, they might sue me or violate my Fourth Ammendment right!
    For what it's worth, I use Windows Media Player to sync music to my Pre quite easily. No Missing Sync needed.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    For what it's worth, I use Windows Media Player to sync music to my Pre quite easily. No Missing Sync needed.
    Can you sync playlist with WMP?
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
    I would say that a pixi couldn't replace an ipod, mainly because of storage space. I love my pixi, and it has a good media player, but i still rely on my ZuneHD for all music purposes. Also the 3D gaming thing. However, if 8 gb is enough for you, go for the Pre by all means. The iPod will probably always have more features, but the Pre (or Pixi) is solid.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    It will sync with iTunes if you are using iTunes 9.0.1 or below. You can also use doubletwist which is free.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Not sure if it could replace my iTouch but when I got my new Px+ last night I plugged in my Sony noise cancelling headphones and was surprised by how good the Px+ outputs music!! Lots of bass and sounded really good, sounded deeper than my iTouch without even using any equaliser!

Btw I use a Sony Walkman for my daily music needs, iTouch is just for mini games.
    You might consider the battery life issue. Unless you carry an extra battery, listening to songs on your phone could get you into issues with having enough battery for calls.
    its possible. lol
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    if you put the phone in usb mode wmp will work with it or you can use an older version of itunes, i think all versions of itunes 8 work with these phones hope that helps
    Wife hasn't touched her iPod Touch since getting her Pixi 4 months ago. Uses it running every day for music, and is more at ease having a phone with her in the event of an emergency. Prefers a single device with always-available web access.
    Global Posts
    517 Global Posts
    i use the Music Player Remix homebrew app.. that player is MUCH better than the stock player that comes with it
    Quote Originally Posted by supertom View Post
    i use the Music Player Remix homebrew app.. that player is MUCH better than the stock player that comes with it
    Thanks for the props. But if you like the current Music Player (Remix), you're going to love the next version. It's got a brand new look, much improved interface, and has a lot of great new features. Keep a look out in the Hedami developer forum as I post more details and preview videos.

But in the meantime, I think the original Music Player (Remix) app is a great replacement for an MP3 player. I replaced mine months ago. Having one device for everything (phone, music, etc.) is really preferable.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I've actually started to use my pixi for everything that i did for my ipod touch. But the touch excels in two areas, one of which i can put up with and one that is untouchable (haha). I can use the internet on the pixi, although it is slow i can deal, i do prefer the touches internet speed though. But for music the touch cant be beat.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    The main problem with most smartphones is the lack of gapless playback. That's one of the BIG things I miss in moving from my iPhone to the Pre+. I listen to a LOT of live rock concerts, and the gap between songs is jarring on the Pre+.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald600 View Post
    I would have to say yes and yes
    Yes a webOS phone can be used as an mp3 player. Whats better is that you can listen to any mp3 file. You are only limited to 8 or 16 gig depending on which phone you have

Yes the Pixi does play music as well as the Pre
    I prefer the pixi over the pre because Im a long time treo user and have using the hone one handed down to a science. I have my pixi set up to work like my treo
    Not sure what you mean by 'can listen to any mp3 file'. I've had several iPods and an iPhone and they can all play any mp3 I've ever put on them, from Amazon purchases, ripped CDs with LAME MP3 encoder, ripped iTunes AAC or MP3, doesn't matter.

--Matt
    I have a Pre Plus and a 32 gig first gen iPod Touch. I use my iPod Touch to listen to audiobooks and podcasts at night and watch YouTube- my Pre does mostly everything. Granted, I'd use my iPod Touch more if it were a 3rd gen... that would mean double the RAM and a speaker. The only think that the iPod Touch has over the Pre is that the pre has a smaller screen... that's my number one gripe about my Pre. And the Pixi's screen size would just drive me up the wall. But that's mainly because I have giant mutant hands
    Bottom line, go for the Pixi or Pre! It's well worth it
    I think it comes down to memory and battery. my wife has a pixi and it works great for music as well as everything else, while it is lighter in technical aspects and screen I think it is a better design run better than my pre (without the performance enhancing patches). depending on how much music you are listening to the touch will probably give you more listening time. I have a friend with a treo pro and an itouch, he just likes knowing that if if he drains his battery playing games he still has a functional phone for the rest of the day.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast