Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am very tempted to trade my pre for a pixi (possibly with a fellow precentral member). however, some have warned me against this saying i would regret it. is this true?

i love the pixi form factor and i am started to really hate the pre slider. my main concern is the snapiness of the pixi. according to these youtube comparisons, the pixi seems to be snappier than the pre in many cases. YouTube - pre pixi speed comparison

However, I am still concerned. For example on a stock (not overclocked) pre, opening the phone dialer takes too long, and switching to call history is both glitchy and slow. is this the case on the pixi as well?

Please share your thoughts and opinions, especially those of you who did this same switch!!
    Last edited by onemadrssn; 05/04/2010 at 06:50 AM.
    I have a Pre and just got my wife a Pixi...I like her Pixi more than my Pre. It does seem snappier and I love the form factor...but I use my Pre for wireless tethering, so I will just stick with it.
    Personally I prefer the Pre. Larger screen was biggest factor. WiFi was a close second. Better CPU was third.

Perhaps you can just use a little bit of epoxy to keep your Pre keyboard exposed and pretend that it's a Pixi? (please don't actually do that... I kid, I kid).

If those things weren't important to me, I'd go for Pixi because I really liked my Centro.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I made the switch from the Pre to the Pixi Plus and have no regrets. I didn't notice any slow down in the process. I just don't like moving parts and the Pixi Plus is very compact and feels really solid.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I have the privilege to own both.

The pros for Pixi:
    • looks better
    • feels better
    • is a nice elegant size
    • better keyboard
    • better charging port
    • not a hardware FAIL like Pre (no slider = no oreo effect)

The cons:
    • Really sluggish UI
    • Can't play PDK / 3d games
    • Smaller screen real estate<
    • Can't overclock yet
    • no Wifi (for Sprint)
    I love how with the pixi, the keyboard is always there. I already have a pre so it's not really an opton but I do think I could use the pixi an be happy with it. I am not a fan of sliding out the kb every time I need it. I don't care much for 3d games I usually play them once before I realize I wasted my money. I personally am a big fan of the pixi, it's a nice piece of hardware.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Pros and Cons aside, I really can't stop looking at the Pixi. I think its such a Sexy looking phone as long as it has its dimple covered touchstone back.
  8.    #8  
    xacto01 - so if you own both, which do you use on a day-to-day basis? or do you switch depending on the weather? :-P
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Well when I said I own both, I should have stated that my wife uses the Pixi and I use the Pre. I have used both, and I do prefer the Pre in terms of performance, but prefer the Pixi in terms of style. If I were to choose, I would choose the Pre as long as it isn't an Oreo Effect version. Rumor is that Sprint does seem to be moving inventory so if you have a defective Pre, just go to a Corporate Sprint Store and they should give you a brand new one in an instant On the contrary, if you are wanting the Pixi Plus on verizon and it doesn't have a sluggish UI, it ads more weight to the Pixi ... but I don't know if the Pixi Plus is at all better than the Pixi Original in that sense.
    Consider these questions:

1. Do you ever want WiFi access? (home, office, etc.)
    2. Do you like games, the coming graphical aps, etc.?
    3. Is the CPU important to you?
    4. Do you want a full 320x480 screen?

If you answered YES to any of these, stay with the Pre.

And really the biggest thing to consider if you are a male under 25...

5. Do you want to be the guy with the fairy phone?

As wrong as that might seem, if you are a guy in High School or Junior High, you don't want to have a phone synonymous with fairy. Even in college, imagine a frat guy saying to his drinking buddy, "Hey check out my Pixi."

A name should not matter...unless you have a very bad one. I hope that the darkest days for Palm were creepy vampire girl and the name Pixi. Those are joke ppt's you do when you are burned out and need a break. If they get out, they are career-enders.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Consider these questions:
    1. Do you ever want WiFi access? (home, office, etc.)
    I made the switch form the Pre to the Pixi Plus on Verizon -- but would not have made the switch to the Sprint Pixi sans WIFI. A couple other things to consider about WIFI is that it works on more and more airplane flights where you can't use CDMA and it enables WIFI tethering.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  12.    #12  
    Has anyone tried to bring a Verizon Pixi Plus to Sprint?

I am pretty sure sprint says (or used to say) that it's an open network and will work with any compatible phone. I had a coworker who brought a Treo something with Windows Mobile from Verizon to Sprint. I know its vague, just throwing it out there.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I would like to know that too, I bought my pixi off of ebay and it was the sprint version... If I would have known that a Pixi Plus was compatible I would have bought that shucks!!!
    I prefer the pixi
    I come from using a treo so I am use to using the phone one handed.
    I dont like the slide keyboard of the pre.
    Not to mention the fact that $100 is too much to charge me to swap the phone out because the slider breaks on the pre.
    Also it just seems to me that it is easier to change apps on the pixi because it has more space for doing the finger moves than the prep
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald600 View Post
    I prefer the pixi
    I come from using a treo so I am use to using the phone one handed.
    I dont like the slide keyboard of the pre.
    Not to mention the fact that $100 is too much to charge me to swap the phone out because the slider breaks on the pre.
    Also it just seems to me that it is easier to change apps on the pixi because it has more space for doing the finger moves than the prep
    My Sprint store doesn't charge a dime to swap out a defective unit as long as I have TEP and I assume you do to. They just go to the inventory room and pull out a new one. (prob refurb) I believe you have to go to a Sprint store that does repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xacto01 View Post
    My Sprint store doesn't charge a dime to swap out a defective unit as long as I have TEP and I assume you do to. They just go to the inventory room and pull out a new one. (prob refurb) I believe you have to go to a Sprint store that does repairs.
    After I realized the slide was going to be a problem I got the store to give me a pixi.
    The sprint stores in my area are just way to crowded. Since I got my pixi I have since got another one for my wife.
    The one thing I dont understand is why the touch screen dial pad is larger on the pixi than the pre
    if you are a techie, the Pixi will amaze you for a while becasue of its size, but ultimately you will keep asking for more from it, so you open more cards and get terrible lag. also the small screen will kinda start bother you.

thats what happened to me. thats why i am back on a pre plus!
    Until they do something about the slider issue
    I will stay with the pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by onemadrssn View Post
    I am very tempted to trade my pre for a pixi (possibly with a fellow precentral member) ..... Please share your thoughts and opinions, especially those of you who did this same switch!!
    I absolutely loved my Pixi+ (for the week that I had it). I loved the form factor and the fact that I didn't have to flip/slide it open to access the keyboard.

My one and ONLY complaint... sound quality while on a phone call. Very scratchy, almost as if the speaker was blown or the input audio gain to the speaker was set too high. Talking on the phone to a female wasn't too bad, but a guy... entirely too distorted to feasibly accept.

Came across these forums and found that it was a very common issue, and that it likely was a blown speaker, as many people replaced their phones and no longer had the issue. This is what I planned to do, but the only phone my local store had in stock had the same issue. They said they could order one for me, but I'd have to pay the $35 restocking fee just for putting in the order.

So, I decided not to chance it... played with a Pre+ in store for a while and opted for the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    And really the biggest thing to consider if you are a male under 25...

5. Do you want to be the guy with the fairy phone?
    LOL
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Pre. Have had it since launch, same one, never replaced, by the way. I love my Pre. My wife has a Pixi. I swear every time I pick up that phone I want to switch. I get a good 3G signal at the house and pretty much all around where we live so she's never missed the WiFi. I doubt I would either. I usually don't have more than 2 or 3 cards open, even on the Pre so I doubt that would be a deal breaker for me (re Pixi), either. Likewise I don't play any 3D games so it's a non factor (plus 3D gaming is coming to the Pixi later this year). I've never noticed any more lag vs the Pre.

The screen is the only thing I would miss. The extra 80 pixels in portrait do make a difference.

Nonetheless, every single time I pick up her phone I want to switch. It's just a fantastic phone to hold in your hand and use. The keyboard is really second to none. The form factor is excellent. It's so solid yet so light.

I almost wish I had gotten the Pixi out of the blocks, rather than the Pre.

I totally disagree with it being a "fairy phone". Keep it in black and there's nothing girly about it. I hardly think the "Pre" is a better name than "Pixi" anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast