Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I like Pixi design more then Pre too.. But yes.. hardware difference really make me still choose Pre. But If I examine Pixi.. with same design.. Pre screen size should be able to be mounted on Pixi. Too bad Palm make Pixi has smaller screen. If everything same with Pre.. I'm surely choose candy bar design over slider design.

edit: after i done side by side comparison.. i just realize that pixi's screen not only smaller in resolution but also smaller in size too.
    Last edited by The Bard; 05/11/2010 at 11:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I too have a day one launched Pre and it's crapping out on me like crazy. Lots of movement in the body parts, some sort of hairline crack that's developed where the charging port cover (whatever they call that thing) rotates, that has extended to the screen. The upper left corner of my screen looks like someone took a flame to plastic...bubbles in the screen. Constant "too many cards open messages" when only one card is open, and sometimes when no cards are open. Volume randomly stops working, google maps can't seem to find a gps signal most of the time, in areas where it has worked flawlessly in the past, and every now and again it seems to freeze on a screen for minutes before I can finally close out a card. I've been holding off on the Pre Plus coming to Sprint, but so far I haven't seen anything. My Pre love affair is rapidly going south.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG View Post
    I too have a day one launched Pre and it's crapping out on me like crazy. Lots of movement in the body parts, some sort of hairline crack that's developed where the charging port cover (whatever they call that thing) rotates, that has extended to the screen. The upper left corner of my screen looks like someone took a flame to plastic...bubbles in the screen. Constant "too many cards open messages" when only one card is open, and sometimes when no cards are open. Volume randomly stops working, google maps can't seem to find a gps signal most of the time, in areas where it has worked flawlessly in the past, and every now and again it seems to freeze on a screen for minutes before I can finally close out a card. I've been holding off on the Pre Plus coming to Sprint, but so far I haven't seen anything. My Pre love affair is rapidly going south.
    And what does this have to do with whether the OP should trade his Pre for a Pixi???
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Consider these questions:
    And really the biggest thing to consider if you are a male under 25...

5. Do you want to be the guy with the fairy phone?

As wrong as that might seem, if you are a guy in High School or Junior High, you don't want to have a phone synonymous with fairy. Even in college, imagine a frat guy saying to his drinking buddy, "Hey check out my Pixi."

A name should not matter...unless you have a very bad one. I hope that the darkest days for Palm were creepy vampire girl and the name Pixi. Those are joke ppt's you do when you are burned out and need a break. If they get out, they are career-enders.

- Craig
    Dumbest **** I have read on this forum in a long time. Also borderline homophobic, but whatever.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I agree with most of the pros & cons others have brought up. I have a Pre Plus (Verizon) and my wife has a Pixi Plus. I think they are both great phones but, all things considered, I'm sticking with my Pre.

I love the Pixi form factor, and it has a much better keyboard, but I find the performance on the Pre to be so much better. With the 'Plus' models, at least, the Pixi is definitely NOT snappier than the Pre; it's noticeably more laggy and slow. My wife also runs into the 'Too Many Cards' error way too often.

Give me a Pixi form factor with the guts of the Pre in it, and I'm sold... until then, I'll just deal with the worse keyboard and the slider mechanism :-).
    Hmmm very interesting read.
    I have a Pre Plus on Verizon. It's snappy and fast nativity. I get a signal for it in my office where all the people I work with don't on their iPhones. (AT&T fail LOL) Press phone and it shows. Add the 800 patch and card animations patch and it's just awesome.

As a former Treo and Centro owner I can understand the liking of a Pixi style but why would you give up the screen size and hardware specs for something like that?

Also, I really am wondering how much is Sprint and Verizon and soon to be AT&T messing with the software PALM busts *** on that we load up. Maybe it's the Plus, maybe it's what Big V was doing to it before releasing 1.4.1.1?? No idea.

But there is no way I would go to a Pixi Plus after owning a Pre Plus. This phone is superior in every way.
    Just my view.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm on my third day of using a Pixi while my Pre is off for repair. It feels great in my hand, I love the rubber back. It's convenient to have the keyboard always there. I think the ringer switch feels great. Fits good in pocket, possibly even in fifth jean pocket.

Having to reach up and hit the power button to see why there's a notification light is getting tedious. Voice pitch is worse for phone calls, I think. The USB cover feels great, but it's a tiny bit annoying to open.

If the Pixi had come out first, I might've wanted it more. I haven't watched a video on it, that's one of the motivators for the Pre for me.

I'd recommend it to anybody, tho.
    I didn't change to a Pixi (Pixi Plus, I wouldn't consider the regular one), but I've just broke my Pre (regular), and had a tough decision there.

I bought another Pre, just because changing would made me change the carrier, and here in Spain, that's A LOT of pain (and money).

I'm forced to use my faithful Treo 680 for a few days, and I'm kind of regreting that decision, because even nowadays the cluncky Treo is giving me all the service I need, in a candy-bar form factor

I think the decission is hard anyway (if I had change to a Pixi, probably I would be regreting too), because I'm kind of a "bipolar user": I use the phone on the go in the morning, stressful job, one hand operating on the phone, just doing the essential... and for that use, the Pixi Plus is the right form factor

But, later on, I'm a "geek user", that LOVES to improve and test with homebrew (MOST OF ALL overclocking), hopes for big screen new devices, wonders if a virtual keyboard is not so bad...

So I think going for a Pixi is definetly downgrading, and that's not a good option on such a sluggish platform, mostly because there is no overclocking avaliable. I also have to remember the reasons that made me buy the Pre: I was sick of the small screen on the Treo (and hated Apple).

The solution for me is one of these:
    1.- Change to Android until HP/Palm unveils something decent (a "WebOS Nexus One"? a "Nexus One sized Pixi"? ...that would be a killer for me) (I didn't had the courage for Android, I still think WebOS is WAY SUPERIOR)
    2.- Be VERY VERY nice with a "heavily homebrewed" Pre (Pre Plus if you are lucky) and wait until HP/Palm unveils.....etc

PD: If I find a cheap unlocked Pixi Plus, I'm probably buying, just as a crisis/support device (I'm very prone to such "crisis")

PPD: PALM, PLEASE!! NO MORE SLIDERS!!
    I have a Pre and my friend just got a Pixi. The first thing I did was do a side by side speed comparison. Most of the time, the Pre would be slightly faster. However, sometimes the Pixi was faster. Interestingly, I would run the same test again, then the Pre would be faster. This must be because of caching or some other factor I'm not aware of.

In any case, the Pixi "feels" more solid but I think I would miss the 80 pixels at the bottom.
    mobigamedepot.com
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onemadrssn View Post
    I am pretty sure sprint says (or used to say) that it's an open network and will work with any compatible phone.
    I am almost positive that this is *not* the case. My understanding is that Sprint will never activate a phone with an ESN that is not from their network. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
    sprint will not activate any phone without an esn that is in their system.

so I decided to pick up a pre for the heck of it. Hated it the first time around, and having it for three days I realize why. Typing on it just makes my hands hurt, and I keep hitting the top part of the phone. Having to open the slider all the time is annoying, but at least it's the familiar portrait style and not a horizontal one.

It's a little quicker, and preware loads much quicker, and I'm enjoying the larger screen. I just see myself going back to the pixi once I get done 'playing' with it and the novelty is over.

Comparing them side by side, it's a shame they didn't create one phone from the get go with the Pre's screen on the Pixi's form factor. Looking at all the wasted space on both phones it would've been easy to do. The phone wouldn't be too long. Build quality wouldn't be as much of an issue, and I bet it would've sold much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Comparing them side by side, it's a shame they didn't create one phone from the get go with the Pre's screen on the Pixi's form factor. Looking at all the wasted space on both phones it would've been easy to do. The phone wouldn't be too long. Build quality wouldn't be as much of an issue, and I bet it would've sold much better.
    Not to mention it would probly have been cheaper to just forget wasting the time designing different internals (cpu, wifi, etc.) and standardize on one platform that even makes things easier for developers, too!!

What a bummer of management that Palm has been blessed with.

And, I'd just like to add that I like snapping the Pre open with one hand, like I'm snapping my fingers. It's much quicker to unlock the phone like that and start typing with Universal Search or whatever. The slider is actually A-OK with me. And the curves and the sharp edges of the Pre feel a bit like sex to me. Just groovy, baby.
    the problem is engineers that are too in love with themselves and their ability to design. They tend to forget these things are for real world use and not just in their little lab. I deal with it all the time. The general design is aesthetically slick, but that's where the slickness ends.
    I like the real world execution of the device, as well, tho....

ALL PLASTIC.

I dig it. I have dropped my phone plenty of times, and I'm sure it'll keep on ticking for as long as I do... but real world has been great for me. I've been using the Pre as everything other than my phone, tho... so my viewpoint might be a bit skewed. I had every intention of using my Pre as my phone by this point, but I got lucky in that I had started a second line with Sprint, and they decided to let me cancel 2 months after opening that extra line... and now I'm only paying $20/mo for my current, primary Sprint line w/ 755p, so I'm in no mood to upgrade until my plan bumps up to $40/mo. Then the monthly costs of Everything Data might be more appealing to me at that time. I'm definitely at the point where I would use the Pre as my daily phone, tho. It finally gets my approval. Before, I couldn't recommend it to others... but now, yes!!
  15.    #35  
    thanks for the help guys. i'm going to do it!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I'm switching to the Pixi because my Pre has the usb door crack problem. The crack is now spreading into the screen and my Palm warranty is up in a month! I can't risk getting a fixed Pre and having it happen again.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    take advantage of the warranty. Get the new/refurb Pre and sell it to pay for the Pixi. Pick up a Pixi on ebay or craigslist for about $160.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    all points elsewhere very good - the wifi dealbreaker for me or i'd get a pixi .. is anyone aware of a jailbreak for pixi to enable wifi or is that all new radio chip?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Went from a Pre Plus to a Pixi Plus. Pixi has a MUCH better keyboard, what I consider to be the perfect size and doesn't get as hot while charging and using mobile hotspot. It has sluggish moments but so did the Pre. Considering I don't play 3d games on my phone I think it's a good move.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12