1.    #1  
    Went in Sprint Store last Monday to play with the Pre to see if I could live with it. Spotted the Pixi and OMG -- it looks and feels like my beloved Centro! So I ordered a "free" Pixi on Saturday from Sprint's website. Was surprised that even shipping and activiation were also free. Hope I like it because if I don't I'm sure I will have to pay return postage - LOL!

Anyway, I a couple of questions that I have searched the forum for but have not been able to find:

1. Is there a SplashID/Splash Data app or equivalent for the Pixi? If so, does it have a tool to transfer over Splash Data, or how would that be done.

2. Transferring contacts and calendar from Outlook - is there an app for that? I was reading a tutorial that was giving instructions on that, but now I can't seem to find it again? I had read the tutorial through the point of it telling me to upload my contacts to google. I really didn't want to do that so I tried looking for other solutions about a week later and I couldn't find that tutorial again on the Pixi site.
    John 3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmy600 View Post
    Went in Sprint Store last Monday to play with the Pre to see if I could live with it. Spotted the Pixi and OMG -- it looks and feels like my beloved Centro! So I ordered a "free" Pixi on Saturday from Sprint's website. Was surprised that even shipping and activiation were also free. Hope I like it because if I don't I'm sure I will have to pay return postage - LOL!

Anyway, I a couple of questions that I have searched the forum for but have not been able to find:

1. Is there a SplashID/Splash Data app or equivalent for the Pixi? If so, does it have a tool to transfer over Splash Data, or how would that be done.

2. Transferring contacts and calendar from Outlook - is there an app for that? I was reading a tutorial that was giving instructions on that, but now I can't seem to find it again? I had read the tutorial through the point of it telling me to upload my contacts to google. I really didn't want to do that so I tried looking for other solutions about a week later and I couldn't find that tutorial again on the Pixi site.
    Coming from a Centro, I recommend that you skip the initialization step of syncing/migrating anything to your Palm Profile and/or a gmail account. Give it an email address/password to set up your profile, and then skip the sync stuff. Then go to Companionlink.com and set up the free trial of their software and sync directly with outlook.

If you like the way your Centro synced with Outlook, it will be worth it to buy their product. If not, you got your contacts over to your Centro in a way that will be familiar to you and not have it syncing with one of the "cloud service" options - Yahoo, FB, Gmail, etc.

Then you can add those services one at a time and see how "Synergy" collates them into your contact list.

Companionlink people hang out here are are really helpful. I recommend them for you because it is a quick USB connection and doesn't require WiFi.

If you keep your stuff all in outlook and it is somewhat organized, this will make more sense to you. If you have contacts scattered throughout many on-line services and have them duplicated across those services, Syndergy will be a great help. But most Palm users are used to keeping their stuff organized on the PC, and the huge leap to the world of Synergy can do more harm than good.

Several of the old PalmOS vendors have ported their apps to WebOS. You will want to check the sites of the apps you have been using to see if they have. There may be equivalents in the App Catalog. And, you can always get the "Classic" App that runs a PalmOS emulation that allows you to use your old Centro Apps...

The only App I wanted from my Centro was hotsynch, and the CompanionLink app will do the same thing from a native WebOS app.

I agree that the Pixi is more like the Centro, but it has a smaller screen, slower CPU, and lacks Wifi - so I went with the Pre. If I glued the keyboard open it would be like a pixi (kidding, don't try that at home...)

Welcome and good luck from a loooooong time Palm user.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Cant, that was REALLY helpful!

A "duh" type of question for you: when you said the Pixi had a slower CPU, I hope you meant slower than the Pre! If it's slower than the Centro I won't even open the box! (not that the Centro felt slow to me, but I don't want to go backwards!)
    Hi, look what just showed up on the front page of this forum:
    http://www.precentral.net/review-splashid

In terms of CPU, I was definitely comparing the Pixi CPU and Pre CPU. Some in these forums will tell you the Pixi doesn't feel any slower, I am just pointing out it has a different (and less powerful) CPU than the Pre. Another issue this raises is that there is a very healthy overclocking community for the Pre. You can increase the Pre CPU from 500mhz to 800mhz, and that makes it feel every bit as fast as an iPhone, etc.

So far there isn't anything similar for the Pre, and I don't have the technical knowledge to know if it is even possible. So, you should assume that the Pixi speed out of the box is the best it will get. However, the Pre has the ability to really scream. This really only matters when scrolling through app pages and the speed of launching apps. You might find the Pixi is plenty fast. I played with one at Verizon and I didn't feel it was slow. Of course that's before it had the 50+ patches and dozens of apps I have now... (grin)

There is speculation that Adobe might not support Flash on the CPU used in the Pixi. Of course, Adobe is about 12 months late and may be irrelevant by they time they finally deliver something to WebOS. Not a big deal to me unless/until I can use my phone to watch Hulu.com, and I doubt that Flash will make that possible...

The other big thing is that I was using my Centro to "tether" my PC for internet access while travelling. That was essential and I was unwilling to give up my centro for anything that wouldn't do that.

I don't know if you can do that on the Pixi. If you did, it would have to be with MyTether over USB and/or BlueTooth. That's how I did it with my Centro. It was slow, but it saved my neck when I needed to connect when there wasn't a starbucks around. You will have to check around to see if MyTether or FreeTether will let the Pixi do that, assuming it's important to you. Using MyTether on a Sprint Pre would we equally fast - or maybe faster.

The Pre+ comes with a hotspot application (for free) that let's up to 5 PCs use the 3G capability of the phone. It's 3G, so the available bandwidth is 1gbps+ downstream and 200-300gbps upstream. And it's free. My Centro got about 90k up and 30k down on a good day, and could only support 1 user. That was actually the biggest reason I went with the Pre because mobile tethering is a requirement for work. It may not matter to you, I'm just letting you know.

Personally, I think Palm should have put the same guts in both phones so that form factor was the only difference. VZ now sells them both within $29, so the price difference is no longer there.

Let me know if you have more questions. I've been using Palm phones for a looooong time, and my Centro was one of the best - other than the fact that they seemed to die after about a year. I replaced my Centro hardware at least 4 times... (still have one left in my drawer in case I have to go back to it...)

Ps. I like your sig.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/03/2010 at 12:34 PM.
    FYI, there are many around here that don't agree with my non-negotiable decision to not ever sync my business/Outlook information to gmail or any other "cloud" service. That's ok because my needs are somewhat unique.

My business info is too confidential and valuable to me (and who would trust Google?) and I spend way to much time in Outlook keeping it all organized. I am not smart enough to handle mixing that info with what might be lurking in my facebook or yahoo mail accounts. It doesn't actually combine them in the phone, it just "collates" them so information from various services all show up as a single contact. Not everyone realizes that the contacts are stored separately, and only linked in how they are viewed on the phone Same with multiple calendars.

Very cool, just not something I need because I ONLY want my business contacts in my contact app. I have more than 3,000 so any personal stuff needs to be kept to a minimum for me. The operative term is "for me" because Synergy is actually an amazing thing and it can really be helpful for people with tons of contacts duplicated across a bunch of different social media and e-mail accounts. If I had more time for that, I'd make more use of it.

I had a couple of strange issues with Synergy, and I saved time by just syncing to Outlook so I could get back to being productive and essential keep doing what I was doing with my Centro: Phone/Contacts/Calendar/Tether. Nothing else matters for my purposes.

You might find one of my Synergy issues amusing. I am the rare individual whose wife AND daughter-in-law have the same name (first and last). My daughter-in-law is a much more frequent user of Facebook/Twitter/etc and my Wife only uses Facebook. However, my daughter-in-law uses her firstname-lastname in those accounts, so synergy thinks they are the same person when it grabs my Facebook contacts. They are in my Outlook file as different people With different phone numbers and street addresses, but as soon as I let Synergy grab my facebook contacts, it combines them and treats them like the same person because it uses the "firstname+lastname" info from Facebook as of equal importance, rather than assuming the Outlook data is the "master" like the old Palm Hotsync you are used to.

Somehow it doesn't seem to get that there are really two FB accounts with the same name and they match up to different contacts in Outlook. Seemed crazy, but not important enough to spend hours trying to un-link them from each other. So I just don't sync my FB contacts and the problem doesn't happen. Maybe when I get fired I will have time to search for a work-around. But not until then.

So, that's probably over-sharing. But, coming from the Centro I assume your experience will be similar. Hopefully this will save you and others some time and frustration. If it hadn't been for an extremely knowledgeable tier-3 tech in VZ support that got me started, I might have had to go back to my Centro. I have to say that my Pre+ is just an amazing phone and I'm glad it has worked out.

It is still missing a lot of features we took for granted in PalmOS, but I'm confident they will show up over time. Palm has done an amazing job of sending out regular updates and new features. Now that HP is buying Palm, I expect that to get even better.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/03/2010 at 01:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Why do Pre people continue to post in the Pixi forums?

Are they really that jealous of our form factor? Anyways, ignore what he said about saying the Pixi is slower than the Centro. Yes, the Pixi has a lower clock speed than the Pre. This has been re-iterated thousands of times across many message boards. For text messaging, internet browsing, Facebook, Twitter, phone calls, etc... The Pixi is on par with the Pre. Yes, I can't play Scrabble 3D on my Pixi, but, I'm more of a smartphone user, not a portable gamer.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Daving

Since I never had a Pre, it won't bother me that the Pixi is slower than the Pre. And I don't care about Wifi either. I had it on the Treo Pro (returned before 30-days) and I tried it to see if it worked then didn't even think about using it after that.

I got my Pixi in the mail yesterday! Wow, it really looks like the centro but thinner! I have a lot going on right now and don't have time for any new phone drama, so I probably won't get a chance to activate it until Wednesday. I can't wait!
    I'm posting from my Pre in a Pixi forum because a member, long time Palm user, asked for help.
    I didn't realize there were limitations, I thought the purpose was to help members who asked for help and advise.
    I'm not adding any advise because the previous posters gave very good advise to her and I cannot improve on that.

But to her, welcome to PreCentral and be sure you use search for questions, you might find all kinds of info already out there, then do not hesitate to ask for help. I came from Centro, there is a learning curve but new webos is so much more fun.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I'm posting from my Pre in a Pixi forum because a member, long time Palm user, asked for help.
    I didn't realize there were limitations, I thought the purpose was to help members who asked for help and advise.
    I'm not adding any advise because the previous posters gave very good advise to her and I cannot improve on that.

But to her, welcome to PreCentral and be sure you use search for questions, you might find all kinds of info already out there, then do not hesitate to ask for help. I came from Centro, there is a learning curve but new webos is so much more fun.
    Appreciate all the help I can get! I can see there is a learning curve, that's why I haven't activated yet. I watched from afar last year as everyone got their launch day Pre's. I wasn't sold on webos because I didn't want my contacts "in the cloud." But what amazed me, and even moreso now since I read the "getting started guide" is how in the world all those launch day users (and you may be one of them) were able to hit the ground running. Talking about "cards" and "gestures" and what not. How did they even KNOW about "cards" and "gestures" before the web os had even been launched. Amazing!
  10.    #10  
    [QUOTE]"Coming from a Centro, I recommend that you skip the initialization step of syncing/migrating anything to your Palm Profile and/or a gmail account. Give it an email address/password to set up your profile, and then skip the sync stuff. Then go to Companionlink.com and set up the free trial of their software and sync directly with outlook.

If you like the way your Centro synced with Outlook, it will be worth it to buy their product. If not, you got your contacts over to your Centro in a way that will be familiar to you and not have it syncing with one of the "cloud service" options - Yahoo, FB, Gmail, etc."[END QUOTE]

I think I really want to go this route. So if I don't select Gmail or anything, my contacts will only be backed up to my PC, right? I liked having the option of a backed up phone on via sd card on my centro.

Is there somewhere safer to store contacts other than google that anyone would recommned, so that if I had to do a hard reset, I could get my contacts back throuhg my profile?

Or would they be stored with my profile anyway?
    [QUOTE=wheresmy600;2422030]
    "Coming from a Centro, I recommend that you skip the initialization step of syncing/migrating anything to your Palm Profile and/or a gmail account. Give it an email address/password to set up your profile, and then skip the sync stuff. Then go to Companionlink.com and set up the free trial of their software and sync directly with outlook.

If you like the way your Centro synced with Outlook, it will be worth it to buy their product. If not, you got your contacts over to your Centro in a way that will be familiar to you and not have it syncing with one of the "cloud service" options - Yahoo, FB, Gmail, etc."[END QUOTE]

I think I really want to go this route. So if I don't select Gmail or anything, my contacts will only be backed up to my PC, right? I liked having the option of a backed up phone on via sd card on my centro.

Is there somewhere safer to store contacts other than google that anyone would recommned, so that if I had to do a hard reset, I could get my contacts back throuhg my profile?

Yes, they would be backed up on your PC. You would then back up your PC by copying the .pst file (outlook) or equivalent file from the Palm Desktop...

For me, my outlook client is synching with our exchange server and also the blackberry server, so I have two automatic backups... but I still back up my PC to a local drive. I've learned the hard way that you can never have too many back-ups.

Doing a "hard reset" would wipe out your contacts and you would have to put them back on the phone by synching with outlook or whatever you are using on the desktop. If you are using companionlink to keep your phone synchronized with your desktop PC, they won't be kept in any of the cloud services - including your palm profile.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/04/2010 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by daving313 View Post
    Why do Pre people continue to post in the Pixi forums?

Are they really that jealous of our form factor? Anyways, ignore what he said about saying the Pixi is slower than the Centro. Yes, the Pixi has a lower clock speed than the Pre. This has been re-iterated thousands of times across many message boards. For text messaging, internet browsing, Facebook, Twitter, phone calls, etc... The Pixi is on par with the Pre. Yes, I can't play Scrabble 3D on my Pixi, but, I'm more of a smartphone user, not a portable gamer.
    First, my experience with Palm and WebOS relate directly to the question asked.

Second, if you READ the first paragraph of my first post, I said specifically that the Pixi isn't necessarily slower but that it has a different processor that runs at a slower speed. I was careful to point out that Pixi users often report seeing no speed difference between Pixi and Pre. I even pointed out that I had compared them at the verizon store and didn't see a difference.

Question for you: Why do you think owning a Pre+ makes me unqualified to answer a question for a Centro user? They kept asking me questions, so it made sense to answer them...

...just sayin'
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/04/2010 at 01:10 PM.
    [QUOTE=wheresmy600;2422030]
    "Coming from a Centro, I recommend that you skip the initialization step of syncing/migrating anything to your Palm Profile and/or a gmail account. Give it an email address/password to set up your profile, and then skip the sync stuff. Then go to Companionlink.com and set up the free trial of their software and sync directly with outlook.

FYI, if you skip syncing with a cloud service, you wont have any contacts on your phone until you use companionlink to sync them from your PC to the phone. At that point your contacts will be on your PC and on your phone. No where else.

If you want both your PC and phone to have the same contacts, you will have to keep syncing the phone and the PC - exactly like you have been doing on your Centro. None of that will be in your Palm Profile.

Syncing is just making sure two copies are identical (changes in one are reflected in the other). Nothing about synching or synergy actually copies contacts from one cloud service to another. That's why I recommend against using Palm's migration tool that just does a one-time copy of your contacts to your phone.

Backing up after synching with outlook or palm desktop is done by copying/backing up files from your PC to another drive, etc.

Let me know if you need clarification. I have recommended this specifically so you can follow the paradigm that you are used to. That way you will know what to expect, and then can validate that you have what you are expecting on your new phone.

I actually kept synching with my Centro for several weeks just to make sure I didn't screw it up. I make most of my add/change/deletes in outlook. Then I sync-ed my WebOS phone to outlook. Then I would sync my Centro to outlook, and check to make sure that the change I made was reflected in all three places. I created dummy contacts so I knew exactly what to expect. Once I was sure I understood things, I stopped syncing my centro and uninstalled the PalmOS hotsync software.

Ironically, my centro still makes a decent charger for my extra Pre battery in a pinch. Not sure if they use the same battery in the Pixi.

So, it was only at that point that I started adding other accounts such as gmail, facebook, etc. As I described above, that didn't help me because any of those contacts that I want on the phone where already in Outlook using categories to differentiate them. (I sure hope Palm adds categories back into the contact app!!!)

Doing a "hard reset" would wipe out your contacts and you would have to put them back on the phone by synching with outlook or whatever you are using on the desktop. If you are using companionlink to keep your phone synchronized with your desktop PC, they won't be kept in any of the cloud services - including your palm profile.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/04/2010 at 01:07 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Cant, one clarification:

I know you said that if I use the Pixi's tool to move my contacts to the phone, it's a one time only migration. What if I hard reset the Pixi? Could I re-migrate the contacts?

Also, I believe I saw somewhere that Companionlink is $39.99? Ouch! Have you seen any cheaper synching options? What above via bluetooth somehow (assuming the Pixi will pair with my laptop bluetooth). What about the phone as USB drive -- does that allow transfer of contacts?

Though I must confess you've given me a great idea, if it will work! I generally use my phone to update contacts. Would I be able to email new/updated contacts from the Pixi and save them to my laptop? If so, then I could then sync to the centro from the laptop and have a portable backup (Centro) for personal travel, and a laptop backup for work travel.
    I suggest that you just eat the cost of companionlink. All of the other options I looked at are the same cost. I think you can order the classic emulator and use the old sync toos for your centro with that, but I didn't want to mess with that. I decided 39 dollars in the 1 years of my contract was well worth it.

there is currently no way to get to the contact files on the pre. It's in a separate partition from the us storage.
    also, you may be able to email a contact (not sure) but once it's in outlook, sending changes means a duplicate in outlook, wouldn't it?

I'd just sync the pre with companionlink and the synch the centro with palmsync

my two cents
    I have to agree with wheresmy600, I too think that the price for Companion Link ($39.99) is a little high for my needs. I too want the simplicity of syncing my info like I did with my Centro. I Love Love my Pixi but want the ease of the Centro when syncing my info. I too do not want my "stuff" out there in a cloud. I don't want google, yahoo etc..... to hold my stuff.
    I would like to know if there is something out there that would be comparable to CL and others like that, but for a lower price. I'm not working now so every dollar is very important to me.

Thanks to anyone who can offer their expertise in this matter.

Peace!