Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Hey All,

I'm a long-time Palm device owner and have been a PreCentral member since the announcement of the Pre in '09. I finally purchased the Pixi in February and have been really loving it. Here, for what they're worth, are my thoughts about it.

Backstory: I've used Palm PDAs since 2000 and was a die-hard fan. In mid-2008, though, a friend showed me his iPod Touch and I'll admit, I was smitten with it. Bought my own and attempted to use it as my PDA. It was better than my T/X, obviously, for internet and e-mail but fell well short of the Palm's PIM capablities which I relied on daily. So back to my T/X, but I'd been bitten by the touchscreen bug and yearned for something similar in a Palm device. I read, however, that Palm was developing something so I kept my eyes peeled for any information.

Then Jan 2009 the Pre was announced and it was love at first sight. But the wait, oh the wait! Then iPhone OS 3 was announced and it looked to improve the PIM abilities of my iPod Touch with Spotlight & cut & paste. Also, the more I read about the Pre the more it seemed to lack, especially in that it didn't replicate the fantastic PalmOS PIM apps. So $10 upgrade to iPod. But still lacking......

November 2009--the kids insisted on new cell phones as our Verizon contract was up for renewal. So, frustrated with iPod I thought I'd try Android with the Droid Eris. Cute little phone but the Android OS was no better than the iPhone OS for PIM apps. And it just didn't excite me, kinda dull really. So I returned to PreCentral, just to browse and dream.....and then I got the bug again. Yes, WebOS wasn't perfect but it was so damn cool--blew the other to OSes out of the water. If I couldn't have PalmOS PIMs anywhere else, if I was going to have to make adjustments to make my mobile calendar, contacts and task manager work I might as well go back to the company I loved and hope that they would get back to where they'd been.

So, contract be damned, I purchased a Pixi Plus at full pop (a MAJOR effort for me, I'm very frugal). Liked the feel of the phone better that the Pre and since I'm not a power user it fit my needs. And I couldn't be happier with it!

Here's what I love most about it:
    - multitasking: don't use it to great extremes but it's fantastic when I do
    - notifications: how elegant and convenient they are. I love that you can just swipe them away if you don't want them or leave them for follow up later.
    - the UI: just love, love, love the look and feel of it. I absolutely love the font that's used (silly, I know, but it does make a difference to me). Gestures are intuitive and easy.
    - the size: it's feels so good in the hand and is so pocketable.
    - the keyboard: like most everyone else I think it's way better than the Pre. It's so nice to have accessable all of the time and surprisingly easy to use.
    - Universal search: OK, we all know it's not really universal like PalmOS, but it's really useful for what it does do, especially for apps and contacts and it works for me.
    - type to seach: I love finding what I need in an app by just typing. Can't believe that the calendar doesn't have this--love it in contacts, tasks and memos (which I generally dislike as an app, but....)
    - and despite my initial resistance, Synergy: yes, eventually even I had to accept that the cloud is the future and now I love Synergy.

As I mentioned, I still have some reservations about the WebOS PIM apps but am making do pretty well. I'm not big about adding outside apps that essentially do what the native apps do, even if they do it better (didn't like that with PalmOS either) So here, then, are the upgrades I'd love to see in future OS updates (nothing really big, just basic tweeks):

- Calendar: 1) SEARCH! 2) a better date picker, calendar-style like PalmOS, 3) customizable options for reminders, 4) agenda view (with Tasks integration, please!)

- Tasks: 1) contact lookup and the ability to hold on a number or e-mail and launch appropriate app, 2) again, a better date picker, 3) maybe, upgrade look a bit--briefly used the PocketMirror Tasks which was really nice but lacked the ability to manually re-organize which is key factor for me in Tasks so I went back to native app.

- Memos: what were they thinking with this? it's fine for quick little notes & reminders but useless for long notes. I'd love to see them add more of a notebook app (I actually liked the iPhone notes app, something like that maybe) that lists the entries. They should keep this as well, each has it's use, but please add a notebook!

Whew! Well there they are--my thoughts on my Pixi. Good to get them out. If you made it this far, you are a true fanactic like me! Thanks! And long live Palm and WebOS (if the gods of business allow!)
    It is always nice to hear from someone that has truly used other OS's. Then make a comparison between them and why they like one over the other. IMO even though it was a little long it was informative and interesting.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    klynngullo, excellent post and I concur with almost everyone one of your points. I never used memos too extensively on my Centro so the current iteration is fine for me. I usually use it to make short lists or reminders. I have had my Pixi since the day after 1.4 dropped. It has virtually eliminated my laptop usage at home. I too was a little leery of the the whole Cloud thing, but it sure came in handy when I smashed my first Pixi, sad story, and had to replace it. In less than an hour I had the phone updated to the current system and my profile including all my contacts, etc restored. So I'm a fan now. Glad you're enjoying your phone. Mine is perfect for me. I'm a full featured smartphone user but not what I'd call a power user. I use all the features and they are enough me. I don't game and have never found myself wishing I had wifi. I hope Palm can right the ship and keep afloat. WebOS is by far the best OS out there. I played with two android devices in the Sprint Store the other day. Man they were so clunky and a lot less user friendly than the Pixi. My Pixi loaded Precentral in half the time of either device.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Nice post.

Will get a Pixi Plus once/if they launch in Sweden. I think my parents would like it better than their current Nokia & Ericsson since the notifications on webOS are great and its so easy to navigate.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Glad you're loving your phone! Download "Sorting Thoughts" It is a great note taking application
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    Hey All,

I'm a long-time Palm device owner and have been a PreCentral member since the announcement of the Pre in '09. I finally purchased the Pixi in February and have been really loving it. Here, for what they're worth, are my thoughts about it.

Backstory: I've used Palm PDAs since 2000 and was a die-hard fan. In mid-2008, though, a friend showed me his iPod Touch and I'll admit, I was smitten with it. Bought my own and attempted to use it as my PDA. It was better than my T/X, obviously, for internet and e-mail but fell well short of the Palm's PIM capablities which I relied on daily. So back to my T/X, but I'd been bitten by the touchscreen bug and yearned for something similar in a Palm device. I read, however, that Palm was developing something so I kept my eyes peeled for any information.

Then Jan 2009 the Pre was announced and it was love at first sight. But the wait, oh the wait! Then iPhone OS 3 was announced and it looked to improve the PIM abilities of my iPod Touch with Spotlight & cut & paste. Also, the more I read about the Pre the more it seemed to lack, especially in that it didn't replicate the fantastic PalmOS PIM apps. So $10 upgrade to iPod. But still lacking......

November 2009--the kids insisted on new cell phones as our Verizon contract was up for renewal. So, frustrated with iPod I thought I'd try Android with the Droid Eris. Cute little phone but the Android OS was no better than the iPhone OS for PIM apps. And it just didn't excite me, kinda dull really. So I returned to PreCentral, just to browse and dream.....and then I got the bug again. Yes, WebOS wasn't perfect but it was so damn cool--blew the other to OSes out of the water. If I couldn't have PalmOS PIMs anywhere else, if I was going to have to make adjustments to make my mobile calendar, contacts and task manager work I might as well go back to the company I loved and hope that they would get back to where they'd been.

So, contract be damned, I purchased a Pixi Plus at full pop (a MAJOR effort for me, I'm very frugal). Liked the feel of the phone better that the Pre and since I'm not a power user it fit my needs. And I couldn't be happier with it!

Here's what I love most about it:
    - multitasking: don't use it to great extremes but it's fantastic when I do
    - notifications: how elegant and convenient they are. I love that you can just swipe them away if you don't want them or leave them for follow up later.
    - the UI: just love, love, love the look and feel of it. I absolutely love the font that's used (silly, I know, but it does make a difference to me). Gestures are intuitive and easy.
    - the size: it's feels so good in the hand and is so pocketable.
    - the keyboard: like most everyone else I think it's way better than the Pre. It's so nice to have accessable all of the time and surprisingly easy to use.
    - Universal search: OK, we all know it's not really universal like PalmOS, but it's really useful for what it does do, especially for apps and contacts and it works for me.
    - type to seach: I love finding what I need in an app by just typing. Can't believe that the calendar doesn't have this--love it in contacts, tasks and memos (which I generally dislike as an app, but....)
    - and despite my initial resistance, Synergy: yes, eventually even I had to accept that the cloud is the future and now I love Synergy.

As I mentioned, I still have some reservations about the WebOS PIM apps but am making do pretty well. I'm not big about adding outside apps that essentially do what the native apps do, even if they do it better (didn't like that with PalmOS either) So here, then, are the upgrades I'd love to see in future OS updates (nothing really big, just basic tweeks):

- Calendar: 1) SEARCH! 2) a better date picker, calendar-style like PalmOS, 3) customizable options for reminders, 4) agenda view (with Tasks integration, please!)

- Tasks: 1) contact lookup and the ability to hold on a number or e-mail and launch appropriate app, 2) again, a better date picker, 3) maybe, upgrade look a bit--briefly used the PocketMirror Tasks which was really nice but lacked the ability to manually re-organize which is key factor for me in Tasks so I went back to native app.

- Memos: what were they thinking with this? it's fine for quick little notes & reminders but useless for long notes. I'd love to see them add more of a notebook app (I actually liked the iPhone notes app, something like that maybe) that lists the entries. They should keep this as well, each has it's use, but please add a notebook!

Whew! Well there they are--my thoughts on my Pixi. Good to get them out. If you made it this far, you are a true fanactic like me! Thanks! And long live Palm and WebOS (if the gods of business allow!)
    Just so you no you can download the Classic app and have access to all of the palm os apps.
    Lets face it , as nice as the pixi/pre is there are just some palm apps at present that are better. Having the ability to still use them is great
    Ps. two more reasons why I refuse to sync with gmail:

Privacy:
    Major University Dumps Gmail Over Security Concerns

Reliability:
    Google Calendar Goes Down