1.    #1  
    Hello All,

Noob to the forum, switched from the Samsung Omnia to the Palm Pixi, now going to the Pre. Anyway, about a week ago, I went to a Verizon store here in Lawton, Ok to purchase a case for my Pixi. The rep told me that they didn't keep any Palm accessories and/or phones in stock because they weren't "popular", but they did have a Pixi on display. He was interested in why I chose the Pixi over the Droid. So I whipped mine out and went through my rant on how awesome it is, then he whipped his Droid out and demonstrated what he thought was awesome. I wasn't impressed. All the time I was there, I could hear the store reps pushing the Droid to the customers that were having issues with their phones. I called to other local Verizon stores and every time, "It would be best if you went online."

So has Palm been black listed by Verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by FireForEffectK View Post
    Yep, pretty much. Verizon pushed the Droid very heavily which resulted in lackluster sales of Palm products. If you go to the Pre forum you'll see a very long thead titled something like "Rate Your Verizon Store". It's pretty sad when people go into a Verizon store with the purpose of buying a Pre/Pixi but have the rep try to cram the Droid down the customer's throat. Verizon screwed Palm pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireForEffectK View Post
    Hello All,

Noob to the forum, switched from the Samsung Omnia to the Palm Pixi, now going to the Pre. Anyway, about a week ago, I went to a Verizon store here in Lawton, Ok to purchase a case for my Pixi. The rep told me that they didn't keep any Palm accessories and/or phones in stock because they weren't "popular", but they did have a Pixi on display. He was interested in why I chose the Pixi over the Droid. So I whipped mine out and went through my rant on how awesome it is, then he whipped his Droid out and demonstrated what he thought was awesome. I wasn't impressed. All the time I was there, I could hear the store reps pushing the Droid to the customers that were having issues with their phones. I called to other local Verizon stores and every time, "It would be best if you went online."

I dont want to say all verizon stores are doing it , but alot are.
    My wife & I went to a verizon store last week as she wanted a verizon pixi to replace a phone she hates but keeps because all her sisters are on verizon

The guy selling phones had a droid and was upset when he found out what a pixie could do. He told us he was trading hid droid for a pixi

Even thou the pixi & pre are on multiple carriers the data services are different
    Verizon has the hot spot feature but, it is limmited to 5 gig a month then there is a service charge. I cant wait to hear about the fall out from that.
    Sprint has TV & GPS
    AT&T has Navigation and Hotspots
    My last trip to the Verizon store I stood playing with the Pixi for about 15 min, and the entire time the well meaning salesguy was talking about and playing with his Android phone the entire time, trying to sell me on that. He completely ignored that the only phone in the store I even touched was the Pixi. Amazingly single minded. I think they must get a lot of points for selling Android vs any other phones.
    wow. And all I hear on the radio or see on TV in update NY are "V" ads for Pre & Pixi BOGO free.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    People, in general, stick with what they know. That's true in all areas of life. The Droid was released in November to huge fanfare, at a time when Blackberry was the declining king of the Verizon smartphone market. Truth be told, many store reps don't have as intimate an understanding of phones and carriers as forum members on sites like these do. A sales rep with a Droid has it because 1) it's "cool" 2) he recieves a discount on his service for it 3) it is easy to sell and is pleasant to use for most of the masses; ie "I've got one and love it, check it out.." This particular rep probablyupgraded his own line from a Blackberry to a Droid, can't upgrade (and has no desire to learn a new OS), so... he sticks with what he knows, the Droid. Also, the Palm phones were released PRIOR to the upgrade to 1.4 (huge difference, right?), and, in my opinion, are just starting to pick up steam in the public eye. Android is on multiple handsets on every carrier at this point, Palm has 2 handsets, and is just starting to expand their carrier footprint. I wouldn't say at all that Palm has been blacklisted by Verizon, more that at the individual sales rep level, most have taken the path of least resistance, Drrrrrrroid, in spite of what many (including yours truly) believe to be a superior OS in Palm. Just my 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Also, Verizon has greatly reduced the price of the phone and is now offering the mobile hotspot feature at no additional cost, and yes, it is limited to 5GB a month...but it's free! Only phone on their network that can take advantage of that offer, so no blacklisting by Verizon as a company. To me it seems they are attempting all availableoptions to aid the success of Palm on their network.
    After the end of the month it will be the new Droid Incredible that they begin marketing/pushing.
    The interesting part is that one of my friends on Verizon just got an email offering an early upgrade if he got a Pre or a Pixi
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    The interesting part is that one of my friends on Verizon just got an email offering an early upgrade if he got a Pre or a Pixi
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    Verizon Store associates may not be pushing Palm Products but it appears that Verizon itself is. They just sent one of my friends an early upgrade offer if he got a Pre or Pixi
    Verizon Store associates may not be pushing Palm Products but it appears that Verizon itself is. They just sent one of my friends an early upgrade offer if he got a Pre or Pixi
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I'm from the UK visiting friends in California and decided to try and gently manipulate a Verizon rep into suggestion I buy a webOS phone, I'm dark red and the Verizon rep is dark green.

"I'm looking for a new smartphone, I use my phone for business and pleasure. I send plenty of emails whilst on the move and I'll need access to my Gmail and Exchange account. What phones can you recommend me?"

"I'd have to suggest the Droid, from what you've said it'd meet your needs."

"Ok cool, I've got my contacts all over the place will I be able to view them all on the Droid. What I mean is I've got some Facebook contacts, Gmail contacts, Linked-In contacts, Yahoo contacts... I really need to move them all to one place but I just don't have the time."

"Well, I'm not sure if it can display them all in one place but you can view them through the phone somehow I'm sure."

"Oh right, and what other smartphones could you recommend to me?"

"We have the BlackBerry Curve which is a great phone for business users and is still good for accessing things like Facebook and stuff."

"Ok, that sounds pretty good, I like that it has a physical keyboard that's important to me. What's the web browser like on these phones, I need a really good web browser."

"The browser on the Droid is better but the BlackBerry's isn't bad. I have a Droid (whips it out of his leather pouch) and I love it."

"Ok... and what about gaming? I know the iPhone has lots of 3D games, do either of these handsets have 3D games?"

"Um, I'm pretty sure the Droid does but not the BlackBerry, no."

"Well, I'll take a look at these two then and give you a shout. There's nothing else you'd recommend?"

"Nope, there really the two main contenders."

"Ok man, great, thank you."

*begins to walk off*

"Oh wait! You might wanna checkout the Palm Pre too. It's got a slower processor than the Droid and is pretty laggy but once everything's up and running it's smooth."

"Ok, thanks man."
    Last edited by laze; 04/22/2010 at 01:26 AM.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    cant blame them. palm pres ecellent for handling applications...........and thats about all it has on other devices. lack of hardware really puts it in the suck category
    cant blame them. palm pres ecellent for handling applications...........and thats about all it has on other devices. lack of hardware really puts it in the suck category
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s13timeattack View Post
    Wow, do you own one? Either way you really need to educate yourself. I can't believe people are still getting hung up on hardware in this day and age. It's about the user experience man and in that area Palm wins hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    "Oh wait! You might wanna checkout the Palm Pre too. It's got a slower processor than the Droid and is pretty laggy but once everything's up and running it's smooth.".
    It's rather annoying to hear this from a VZW rep, considering that the Droid & the Pre use the same processor (TI OMAP3430). It really bothers me when people talk out of their rear ends like this, especially when it's someone that's supposed to know what they're talking about.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottermatic View Post
    It's rather annoying to hear this from a VZW rep, considering that the Droid & the Pre use the same processor (TI OMAP3430). It really bothers me when people talk out of their rear ends like this, especially when it's someone that's supposed to know what they're talking about.
    It gets better. Another rep pushing a Droid to a customer nearby claimed it had a dual-core processor.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    The sales reps are under-educated. VZ HQ commits to selling x units when a new device shows up. I don't think its changing quickly, but the sales reps at VZ are slowly being educated that they can't just sell one model in the fast-moving world that is smart-phone.