Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    i consider myself a pretty tech savy kind of guy..... but i am wondering how many of you have preware installed on your phone? is it worth it? is it safe? i am new to webos and palm and before i do anything i would like to know the scoop.

thanks,

genco
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/15/2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: clarify title
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    It would be a shame if you did not have it installed. Makes these phones so much better.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    why does it make the phone better?
    Preware is an essential piece of software.

It is your portal to almost every known, hack, tweak, Home brew, theme, beta and official applications. One stop shop for all things WebOS.

Must have.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    are these apps safe to put onto your device
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgenco View Post
    i consider myself a pretty tech savy kind of guy..... but i am wondering how many of you have preware installed on your phone? is it worth it? is it safe? i am new to webos and palm and before i do anything i would like to know the scoop.

thanks,

genco
    Preware is Great!!! It is advisable however to get to know your phone and all webOS has to offer before jumping in to Preware.

Start here:http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

Enjoy you phone!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    thanks guys..... i will install it and let you know if i have any questions.....

genco
    It really has a low tech requirement and adds so much value. I would be lost without my patches and unofficial apps now...and the latest version of PreWare really shines when the OS is updated. Gone are the days of needing to remove all of your patches prior to an OS update or be forced to use the "Doctor" post-update.

BTW, these are the patches that I find useful (which doesn't include the dozen or so unofficial apps that I also have installed):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 04/02/2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    It definitely makes the Pre xperience much more enjoyable and with the AUPT technology(auto update after upgrades) it really makes it easy to use.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    i downloaded it to my pixi, now i get to play.....
    when would i have to use the doctor?
    I came to Pixi about a month ago...installed Preware 2 days after I got the phone...and don't know where I'd be without it. The phone was great out of the box...but as soon as I saw/experienced what I could do with patches - it got even better.
    I only had one thing (it was the iPhone spoof agent - but I think I did it wrong) brick my phone ONCE. Everything else had gone smoothly, and when it didn't - WebOS Doctor was there to save the day.
    Of course, as anyone will tell you, using any third party stuff is at your own risk, but so far super stable, super fun, and the people on here/developers have been helpful. So have fun and play away!!
    preware is the way to go
    So, on a scale of 1 to 10, i have about a .5 understanding of technical issues. How do I go about installing preware and certain patches to increase the functionality of my PRE? I found this site b/c I was looking for a way to reduce the giant, unprofessional font that the PRE defaults to for emails. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by kemmer01 View Post
    So, on a scale of 1 to 10, i have about a .5 understanding of technical issues. How do I go about installing preware and certain patches to increase the functionality of my PRE? I found this site b/c I was looking for a way to reduce the giant, unprofessional font that the PRE defaults to for emails. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to P|C and the world of webOS. You can find all your answers here: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...stop-here.html

Enjoy your phone!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgenco View Post
    i downloaded it to my pixi, now i get to play.....
    when would i have to use the doctor?

The only time you have to use the Doctor is to revert your device back to factory settings. This happens if you ever encounter an issue that you can't fix for some reason. Don't worry, the Doctor is simply a tool that no other OS offers. With the Doctor, you never have to worry about making a mistake on your phone - you cannot "brick" your device. This utility is always handy to help fix an issue. But before you ever would have to run that app, there are other tools you can run (like the Repair Utility) which help analyze your phone for any corrupt files and then repair them automatically.

Have fun with Preware! It's incredibly safe, and totally encouraged and recognized by Palm. Preware opens up your phone for total customization to suite your needs.

Enjoy!