Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Alright, well I will be eligible for an upgrade on April 1st (Really) and I have been researching 4 phones thus far, Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, Blackberry Tour 9630 & HTC Hero. As you can tell I am with Sprint on an Everything Data Plan. Anyways, I've played around with all 4 at the store for hours.

This is what I like about these 4 phones (so you can get a gist of what I like)

Palm Pre - Larger screen than pixi, more responsive than pixi, WebOS
    Pixi - better keyboard than the pre, smaller and more compact (better build quality), WebOS
    BB Tour - Great keyboard, nice screen (very clear), nice email integration, battery life
    Hero - Way of the future??? Huge app store, big screen

No what I Don't like about these phones...

Pre - Keyboard isn't so great, build quality seems iffy..
    Pixi - smaller screen, possibly no flash
    BB Tour - No touch screen ,
    Hero - Not multitouch, terrible email integration.

Now onto what I am needing in a phone:

Solid Keyboard, nice screen, Good web browser, Good email integration, I am a college student that utilizes 3 different accounts on a daily basis. 2 Gmail accounts and 1 Outlook exchange account. A battery that will last AT LEAST a day, with moderate use. I need good alarm system, I am currently using the Samsung Intrepid and I am able to have 8 alarms programmed ( I am a very heavy sleeper).

I'm not a big texter, I text maybe 10 times a day. I email 5 times a day (normal email lengths), I do like chatting on IM clients like msn and aim with friends.

I also would like know the support these phones have, for the future and present... I don't want to get a phone and be bored with the lack of updates, apps, etc...

I used to be a palm lover, had the 755, 800w & 650... then switched over to the samsung intrepid (which is ok)..
    The Pixi and Pre will both integrate perfectly with email. On my Pre at one time I had 4 email accounts on it. Worked great. My wife's Pixi has two accounts on it: one with Gmail, one with Hotmail. Works fine as well.

The Pre has IM capabilities. I know it can do Google Talk, and I think it does either MSN or AIM...not sure, really. I never IM on the phone. The browser on the Pre and Pixi is quite good, I have had no problems with it. And since Flash is on the way it will only get better.

I have had up to three alarms programmed into my Pre.

My brother has a Sprint HTC Hero. He says it's ok, but a little too slow and complicated for him. He's going to get a webOS phone the next time he changes phones. He played around with my Pre and said it was way more user-friendly than his Hero.
    Based on the information you've given I think that the BlackBerry would suit your needs best. You want good build quality, good battery life, a solid keyboard and reliable email? These things are what BlackBerry specialize in.

Although may I humbly recommend the Bold 9700 instead of the curve... it's a much nicer device (imo )

Edit: Although the Pixi would be the second best choice
    I own, and use daily, a BB Tour and a Palm Pre.

The BB is solid, reliable, excellent.

The Pre is a little more temperamental, build quality is lower, with a GREAT UI.

I like my BB alot. I LOVE my Pre.

With BB, be sure to get Opera Mini or Bolt for your browser. The native BB browser is horrible.

I'll likely move to Pre as my primary (exclusive) device, but I am hesitant because it has a CRAPPY battery life and is a little more "buggy" (not to over sell that. It is fine, just not quite as good as the BB)

Typing, email, reliable, battery life = BB Tour

Great UI, touch screen, Synergy, ease of just "doing things", browser experience = Pre

Either is a great choice, so do not take my "negatives" as being "horrible". None are. Just "negative" in relation to the other.
    I'm a happy Pre owner and I'll put it as succinctly as I can.....

When I'm in the Sprint store I'll pick up a Hero or a Blackberry. When I instinctively swipe or gesture and nothing happens, I put it back down right then and there.

I'll be replacing my Pre with a Pixi in a few months because I love the form factor which I feel is the most underrated element of a phone until you handle a brick repeatedly throughout the day for about a month.
    I'm sorry but the hardware in the Pixi just sucks, you will be disappointed with your purchase every day that you own it because WebOS is already painfully slow on the Pre. The tiny screen and crawling performance will leave you waaay behind in the smartphone game.

Why anyone would ever buy a blackberry is beyond me, the OS = 1994

I can't in good faith recommend a Pre at this point either because of how much better the competition is in terms of hardware and performance, even tho I love WebOS

The hero is crappy/dated/slow compared with the other android offerings. Wait for the Nexus One to hit Sprint or for Palm to get off their a$$es and come out with another piece of hardware that's worth buying.
    If you want a webos device. DONT GET A PIXI. At least on sprint. I would get a pre and I should have gotten one. If you get a pixi on sprint you will miss wifi, the screen can get very annoying because of the size, and we dont get all the apps and games.
    The Pixi is a great device if you don't game or need wifi. I just love the form factor and I am very pleased with the speed and overall performance. I don't use patches or homebrew so I can't speak to those elements on the Pixi. If you are gonna use the stock phone with apps from the app store, the Pixi is a nice device. Does it have shortcomings? Yeah, nothings perfect. You need to decide what you'll be doing with your phone and choose based on those requirements.
    get the pre with the touch stone along with a pro clip and u will be fine my friend
    I love my pixi. Ive only owned smart phones for as long as I can remember and it is absolutely amazing...everything is simple and streamlined. The pre in my opinion is just ugly and besides flash and 3d games, runs practically IDENTICAL to my pixi, if not SLOWER. (Ive compared my phone to other pres side by side) I hate people that say the pixi is inferior because its really not...I chose the pixi b.c I liked it better, not bc im some entry level little girl that wants a toy to play with. Im an adult, not a little kid and dont play games. Flash is something that will definately come to the pixi soon. Besides the screen size and battery life, the pixi is awesome. nuff said.
    I had the Pre, now own the Pixi. Outside of wifi I'm perfectly happy, and I didn't compromise in any way for the things I like to do on my phone. Typing on it is a dream compared to the Pre. It's easier to carry it in the front pocket, and it's just more of a phone first device. Using it as a "pda" phone, it's every bit as good as the Pre. Sprint nav works just fine and can keep the email and msg cards open no problem. Have had a few "too many cards" errors happen, but 8 out of 10 times it's because I had about 5-6 cards open and didn't realize it.

Have a touch stone, and I think it's overrated. Has some cool factor to it, but unlike using a charging cable, the phone doesn't continue charging when I want to use it off the touchstone. And if you just cut the little door off, you won't have any issues fumbling to connect anyway.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Wife got the pixi and loving it. She came from BB Curve. She uses her pixi more to browse the web than her laptop. I told her to get the pre but she's in love with the form factor, mainly the exposed and better keyboard. She said double tab and pinch to zoom makes browsing and reading an ease.

She uses her pixi for messaging, email, web browsing, and of course making phone calls.
    if you can tolerate your current phone a little longer, I'd wait till this winter to upgrade. Pixi fits your needs quite well (as does the blackberry), but in my eyes it is already an obsolete phone. It is really slow to open apps, no wifi, and is already a year old. If you get a phone now, you are probably going to be wanting to upgrade when the next gen phones come out (wp7, next webos phone?, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    If you want a webos device. DONT GET A PIXI. At least on sprint. I would get a pre and I should have gotten one. If you get a pixi on sprint you will miss wifi, the screen can get very annoying because of the size, and we dont get all the apps and games.
    I've got to say I disagree with this person. I was also available for an upgrade. I played with a couple droids, pre, and the pixi. I chose the pixi.

I have the "simply everything" plan through sprint. So, I dont need wifi. I ALWAYS have evdo.

I also have to say that gaming with it isn't nearly as bad as people tend to make it seem.

Now, there arent as many apps for this as the droids. Though the community is growing more and more each day. I have found every app I could possibly want, and then some. I also haven't needed to BUY one of them. Everything I've needed thus far, I've been able to find for free.

I'm also a college student. I use this pixi for everything. From organizing school work. To emailing and msging. To keeping my daughter busy when I have her.

I love my pixi, and being that I played with the palm and the pixi for quite some time while at the sprint store. I personally can confidently say I would definitely go with the pixi. The pre has slightly more power. Put that with... it's bulky, the keyboard isn't nearly as nice as the pixi's, the slide out feels odd, and almost every app for the pre works on the pixi. I'd go with the pixi.

My only gripe is that there's no flashlight app yet. Though that will come when they find the LED info on the devices.

I have a female friend who has the HTC hero. It's nice. Though its kind of big, and slow. It runs windows mobile 6 i believe. So meh. Linux FTW on mobile devices.

So if I were you, and were going to go with a palm device. It'd be the pixi.

Otherwise I'd go with a droid or blackberry.
    Life is only the perception of being alive ~ Zexter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zexter View Post
    I've got to say I disagree with this person. I was also available for an upgrade. I played with a couple droids, pre, and the pixi. I chose the pixi.

I have the "simply everything" plan through sprint. So, I dont need wifi. I ALWAYS have evdo.

I also have to say that gaming with it isn't nearly as bad as people tend to make it seem.

Now, there arent as many apps for this as the droids. Though the community is growing more and more each day. I have found every app I could possibly want, and then some. I also haven't needed to BUY one of them. Everything I've needed thus far, I've been able to find for free.

I'm also a college student. I use this pixi for everything. From organizing school work. To emailing and msging. To keeping my daughter busy when I have her.

I love my pixi, and being that I played with the palm and the pixi for quite some time while at the sprint store. I personally can confidently say I would definitely go with the pixi. The pre has slightly more power. Put that with... it's bulky, the keyboard isn't nearly as nice as the pixi's, the slide out feels odd, and almost every app for the pre works on the pixi. I'd go with the pixi.

My only gripe is that there's no flashlight app yet. Though that will come when they find the LED info on the devices.

I have a female friend who has the HTC hero. It's nice. Though its kind of big, and slow. It runs windows mobile 6 i believe. So meh. Linux FTW on mobile devices.

So if I were you, and were going to go with a palm device. It'd be the pixi.
    Uhh.. To each their own i guess.

Also the hero runs android 1.6 with sense ui skin. And android is linux.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    If you just do email and a little browsing, the Pixi will be fine. Otherwise, get the Pre and don't even look back. Palm screwed up by crippling the Pixi and giving it a smaller screen resolution that developers will definitely now not be developing for at all. There is no future for the Pixi if that's what you're looking for. Any additions will probably be Pre only as priority.
    Pre + the Seido battery sounds like it would be the perfeft combo for you. You would have the best of every world. If you get the Pixi, it will be slower as others have said. I'd say it's all up to what you want for the form factor.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Hey,

I had the Pixi Plus on the Big V for my 30 days (well 31 because of their non-standard counting). I liked it. The size was great, the keyboard was great and the synergy integration was phenominal. The battery life wasn't the best, but it could be dealt with. The thing that made me switch was the screen size. If it just could have been 360X400 it would have been a keeper. It was slow at times, but the way it connected with Yahoo! was key. I ended up switching to a Storm2, but will be switching back to WebOS once they come up with a candybar with a bit bigger screen.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I switched from the Pre to the Pixi Plus and have no regrets. The Pixi works great if you do not need WIFI.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Email is absolutely amazing in WebOS. I have 4 email accounts synced to my phone and aside from the initial sync (which took a half hour) it's all quite amazing.

I like my Pixi for the most part. The camera sucks, the video is okay, but not that good. Flash is terrible (it washes out the middle of the picture, and the edges end up getting too dark). Kind of a minor thing if you never use it. In daylight it's not too bad. Super grainy wherever you use it though.

I'm moving on to the Pre.

The Pixi is kinda sluggish, and I've been having issues with mine (hardware related), like the keyboard light going out, the ringer switch being broken, and constant freezing/too many cards error.

I figured I might as well try out the Pre when I found a super good deal on one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast