Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So in the latest round of radiation testing, the Palm Pixi Plus rated #19 in the top 20 phones with the highest radiation. It came in with an SAR of 1.47. The highest being 1.6.

Not sure I feel so confident carrying this thing on my hip next to the boys anymore. And is it just the Plus or is it the regular Pixi as well? On the plus size, the Droid chimed in at 1.49, and a bunch of Blackberries are even higher (Bold and Curves). I wonder how many people look at SAR values when they're buying a phone.

Palm says the Pixi puts out 1.56 when it's at your ear and utilizing the higher freq.
    Last edited by crogs571; 03/17/2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Keep in mind with the recent push towards always-on connectivity, this is to be expected.
    even if these levels are high compared to other cell phones, their overall level of radiation is still extremely low.

there is no consensus tht cell phone radiation has any harmful effects. There are studies that argue both sides of this issue. If there is a concern, I'm sure we'll know about it.
    Wear a lead helmet, carry your phone on the end of a 6 foot pole, and use a bluetooth headset. Problem solved.
    Great, I wonder where the regular Pixi rates. Probably the same. I carry the damn thing in my pocket. No more of that.
    You don't need your boys if your carrying a pixi. Step up to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    You don't need your boys if your carrying a pixi. Step up to the Pre.
    DOH!! Wow. I had the Pre and after three I was done with it. I would never go back to that POS. I love my Pixi, even with it's gay name.
  8.    #8  
    It's funny the Pre isn't near that ranking. Would the Pixi have to be a touch thicker to have more sheilding?

Granted the levels of radiation might be low relatively speaking, we're constantly surrounded by more and more tech that gives off radiation. There's talk about wifi too, and that is pretty much everywhere down to our homes. Now you have full body scanners in place at some airports. Every source will tell you the levels are negligble, but I'd imagine there has to be some cumulative effect.

I'm not going to go out and buy a lead suit like superman living in a world of kryptonite, just makes you wonder. And Palm knowing users of their phones are heavier users in general, you'd think they would go an extra step or two to minimize radiation. Look at the BB's with multiple models topping the list. There was some study somewhere about a rise in cancer among some business professionals. Will have to find it.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I think this is a good thing. Population control.
    Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    I guess your right. I already have 2 boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    DOH!! Wow. I had the Pre and after three I was done with it. I would never go back to that POS. I love my Pixi, even with it's gay name.
    The bigger question is if you purchased a designer cover.

Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    +1
    But the with "natural selection" they are going after the working class which might not be wise. Yet, it does make sense. If this group get wiped out, then the folks in Washington get rid of the problem child. Us that speak out.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    i guess they figured the teens it was aimed at wanted birth control
    Come interesting point in the article
    "For a phone to pass FCC certification and be sold in the United States, its maximum SAR level must be less than 1.6 watts per kilogram. In Europe, the level is capped at 2 watts per kilogram while Canada allows a maximum of 1.6 watts per kilogram."
    It goes on to say.
    "Some researchers also caution against using your phone in areas with poor coverage since phones emit more radiation when searching for a signal. Children, which have smaller and thinner skulls, should limit cell phone use, and all users, children and adults, should not sleep with an active phone next to their bedside or under their pillow."
    So much for the touchstone.

Palm Pixi Plus (Verizon Wireless) 1.47
    Palm Pre Plus (Verizon Wireless) 0.919
    Pixi (Sprint) 1.21
    Pre 0.919
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 03/17/2010 at 06:00 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    i guess they figured the teens it was aimed at wanted birth control
    Verizon did say the Pre and Pixi were the "Mom" phones.

We want them!!!
    Radiation is everywhere, not just in electrical gizmos. The sun emits radioactive rays, rocks and soil contain radiation, and Radon (radioactive gas), naturally occurs in the air.

Ill start worrying about my phones radiation output when i start glowing in the dark.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    Radiation is everywhere, not just in electrical gizmos. The sun emits radioactive rays, rocks and soil contain radiation, and Radon (radioactive gas), naturally occurs in the air.

Ill start worrying about my phones radiation output when i start glowing in the dark.
    We don't want to hear next how you were caught in the dark closet checking to see if the boys are glowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    We don't want to hear next how you were caught in the dark closet checking to see if the boys are glowing.
    HAHAHA. There is an App for that.
    and global warming is killing the planet too !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Man... I always sleep with my phone under the pillow LOL

I think if it was that harmful, half of high school girls would glow in the dark.
    looks like the girl in your avatar already does
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast