Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My son has a Pixi Plus which he occasionally carries in his backpack. He managed to crack his screen "somehow" that he is not sure, enough that the touchscreen no longer registers touches. My guess is he bumped or flexed the phone somehow, in a pocket or in his backpack.

Fortunately, Verizon was willing to replace it for minimal cost because it had just been purchased. Needless to say I should have gotten insurance for the phone, but now it's too late to add it!

Does anyone know of a protective Pixi case that might protect against this sort of damage? I assume it would have to be a hard case of some sort to impede or prevent flexing. I am not too worried about it being bulky; I'd just like it to save him from having to come up with $400 when he breaks the phone again.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    I use the leather sleeve that is sold at the Sprint store.Works great for me.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Try boxwave.com, they have some pixi cases.
    Go to Five Below. They have a leather belt clip case that fits the Pixi almost to a T. It is a touch too short with the area from the speaker up being exposed. More than plenty to protect and you can use it as a holster if it's not going into your pocket. No need to spend more than you have to.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    May be a small wait but **here** are some awesome cases... Yes its 34.99 but its better then 400...
    These three cases are at Five Below for $5. The 2nd case logic one is similar to the one shown without the top flap, meaning it's open at the top. The third one is a "Designs by Milan" one and the top flap snaps off from the back to create an open one. Should be plenty of coverage and small enough to carry in a bag or on a belt. All come with a belt clip.

There's also the PDAir vertical pouch which is a perfect fit for the Pixi and comes with or without the belt clip. It's about $27 shipped. I have one. Perfect fit and not much different than the vertical Milan one at Five Below except the Milan one has the top 1/4" of the phone sticking out which makes it a touch easier to grab. They all tend to fit a little to snug for me which means they take more effort than I'd like to slide them out to check a message, answer a call and such. Hence it usually fits into a pocket much easier. Use the case mostly when I'm in scrubs and limited on pockets. PDAir makes a horizontal version, but the Case Logic One for $5 is a perfect fit and closes perfectly.

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    and finally...the simple plastic belt clip holster for under $5 on ebay. Daydeal has them for $8 shipped, but it's just as easy to go through ebay. $3.50 here on ebay.
    I am in OP's EXACT same situation, except it's my daughter who broke a brand new Pixi in the backpack, not my son. Oh, and it was a Sprint Pixi, not VZ. So, having just coughed up the money for the replacement, I now find myself in search of a case. My daughter's school has strict rules about cell phone use (which are good), but it means that if she brings the phone to school, it has to be put away. That, and the fact that she's a girl, eliminates the belt clip option, which is unfortunate because it's the safest way to always have a phone with you, in my (perhaps somewhat geeky) opinion.

This case from Boxwave (thanks bytheriver) looks like it would handle the potential crush of books and whatnot that a phone might encounter in a backpack: Armor Case - Pixi Metal Case / Palm Pixi Metal Case / Pixi Aluminum Case / Palm Pixi Aluminum Case. Only issue is it's a little masculine. Anyone have any other recommendations along these lines?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    If you're going to go that route, why not try one of these for less than $10 on ebay:

Red Heart Case

Black w/silver stars

Butterfly

There's quite a few similar type of hard cases on ebay, solid colors, patterns, the whole gambit.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I second the other poster...the leather sleeve sold at Sprint works very well for me outside of putting it in a metal box.
    can't complain about that either. Mine came with the leather sleeve. I do use it since I don't use the holster that often. Mostly when traveling though.
    I am thinking of using a cheap waterproof case in my son's backpack. Today is his birthday and he is getting his new Pixi tonight at dinner.

I was thinking of something like this:

(See Clear Waterproof Card Case w/Lanyard)

I wonder if Five Below has them?

(I have the one he got at Sesame Place 6 years ago, but I don't think he will use that one. See the attached photo to see what it looks like with my Pre)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    These three cases are at Five Below for $5.
    thanks for the heads up on Five Below
    picked up a case there today for my Pixi Plus
    somebody told me pixi plus never needs a case as the back cover functions as one
    The back cover does protect much of the phone, but it doesn't prevent it from flexing, since it's made of soft rubberized plastic.

However, I'm not sure any of these cases discussed would have saved the phone from damage. It takes quite a bit of force to flex the phone, and an extra layer of plastic or thin metal on the outside of it isn't going to add a significant amount of resistance, IMO.

I still prefer to carry my Pixi naked.

BTW VZW Pixi Plusses can be had for $40 now. Save the money on the case and put it towards a backup replacement phone.

Verizon Wireless - Palm Pixi Plus No-Contract Mobile Phone - Black - Palm PIXI PLUS
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecaper View Post
    somebody told me pixi plus never needs a case as the back cover functions as one
    really? how is the back of the case going to protect the front if you have the phone in your pocket or if you are a female and have it in your purse?

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post

I still prefer to carry my Pixi naked.
    you don't wear clothes when carrying your phone?!!
    Quote Originally Posted by musick View Post
    really? how is the back of the case going to protect the front if you have the phone in your pocket or if you are a female and have it in your purse?
    Cases don't cover the front anyway. That's what screen protectors are for. I do carry my Pixi naked, aside from the screen protector.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Cases don't cover the front anyway. That's what screen protectors are for.
    what on earth are you going on about
    I purchased a case similar to the one noted above

clearly it protects the entire phone
    Ah, miscommunication. That's a carrying pouch, not what I would call a case. When I think of "case" I think of something that permanently attaches to the phone, like the cases crogs571 posted.

Clearly you could carry a naked Pixi in that pouch. In fact I do have the official Palm leather pouch that I sometimes store my Pixi in, but my Pixi itself remains naked. Most of the time, my pocket acts as the pouch.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I just got an otterbox commuter series case off ebay for $10 shipped.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast