Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm's webOS PDK beta adds Pixi native development, PDK'd apps will hit the Catalog mid year -- Engadget

Wow, thats a tasty nugget of truth eh?

Not diggin the last stuff about flash, but eh..... is it that big of a deal?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I may want to switch to the Pixi.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Finally.
    Old Kyocera Phone (pay as you go) > Motorola RAZR > Palm Centro > Palm Pre
    can the pixi handle it?? i highly doubt. unless they upgrade the processor.
    The Engadget article says it'll be similar to the performance degradation between the iPhone 3Gs and 3G.
    It will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    can the pixi handle it?? i highly doubt. unless they upgrade the processor.
    There are phones that are less powerful than the pixi that can handle it so why wouldn't the pixi handle it?
    So does this mean FLASH will come to Pixi now?? Thxs in advance
    Not sure about the flash but it seems alot of pre owners don't seem to like the fact that the pixi will be able to play 3d games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancerz View Post
    Not sure about the flash but it seems alot of pre owners don't seem to like the fact that the pixi will be able to play 3d games.
    I'm a pre owner. My son is a pixi owner. I'm thrilled that the pixi is getting PDK support! I'm happy that it expands the extent of WebOS as a development platform. The bigger the market the more options that will come my way.

Any Pre owner who thinks that the Pixi is competition is not thinking.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    pixi has the "oomp" of the iphone 3g.. maybe a little bit more if u check the both specs.

pre = iphone 3gs = moto droid.

bring on the flash and the games.. i would love to use WASD
    If you haven't noticed, many Pre owners are stuck up little *itches who think the Pixi is a second class phone and the Pre is the only device worthy of webOS. God forbid should the Pixi encroach upon their territory...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancerz View Post
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Yeah you are right, I'm so glad I got a pixi!
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    If you haven't noticed, many Pre owners are stuck up little *itches who think the Pixi is a second class phone and the Pre is the only device worthy of webOS. God forbid should the Pixi encroach upon their territory...
    I'm a pre owner but personally steered a sibling towards the Pixi. She said she didn't need the 3d games and liked no moving parts. When I told her yesterday that the Pixi was actually getting the games she was ecstatic. On that note though, I have noticed the vibe you describe. It's like the Pixi is the redheaded stepchild in the webOS family. Lord know's how rough it will be if Palm releases a third tier device even better than the Pre.
    Yeah, it is a noticeable vibe. This whole website is steered towards the Pre as shown by the many subforums under the Pre with the Pixi forum being out in left field. It's amazing to see so many questions and issues being presented for the Pixi that have already been mentioned and followed up on in the Pre area. Those general oriented threads should be in the webOS area so people from both camps will more likely see them and help create a more homogenous community. I've been around awhile, followed the Pre before it came out and owned one for a few when it came out. It's kinda dumb to think the Pre would be the only webOS device to the point of the site being named after it. Though I guess webOScentral doesn't have the same ring.

Both designs fill a need. Both phones add to the appeal of webOS, and both designs are needed for webOS to succeed. I know I'd still be on Android if I hadn't played with a Pixi to help out my boss with his, though he's moved on to the BB. The point is, as Palm treats both designs more like equals I think you'll see greater adoption of the Pixi and better growth of webOS. This PDK is a good start.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Another thing you have to consider though is that the Pre and Precentral were out before the Pixi. If you want to get technical it was TreoCentral prior, which leaves out the Centro. Pre is the higher end device, it's the flagship (ATM) but still I see what you mean. Palm doesn't treat both like equals, they have been very Pre-Centric. Only now are we starting to see any real Pixi love from Palm in the form of the PDK, hence the reason the games are still only available on the Pre and Pre+
    the centro was the first and only phone that didn't have the treo name going back to when owned by handspring. not a good comparison. Treo was the line name and the numbers always changed regardless of OS (winmob and palmos).

The Pixi has been out for a bit now and the website should be revamped to be more Pixi friendly and just more friendly in general. I've gotten a few threads moved to the webOS forums that were in the Pre forum and was told by the mods a bunch of people were griping about. Awww...

And the games were available to the Pre only because of the internal similarities between the iphone and the Pre making them easy to port over.
    Well played sir, well played

I agree, it should be a lot less Pre oriented and more webOS oriented but the Pre is still the flagship device, it's going to always be the big brother to the Pixi and there's nothing wrong with that. Palm has even said themselves that the Pixi is the introductory model, made for those people who've never had a smartphone before. That being said, if the Pixi had the Pre's "guts" I'd be all over it.
    Last edited by xome1983; 03/10/2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Because a smartpone isn't nearly as good as a smartphone
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    the centro was the first and only phone that didn't have the treo name going back to when owned by handspring. not a good comparison. Treo was the line name and the numbers always changed regardless of OS (winmob and palmos).

The Pixi has been out for a bit now and the website should be revamped to be more Pixi friendly and just more friendly in general. I've gotten a few threads moved to the webOS forums that were in the Pre forum and was told by the mods a bunch of people were griping about. Awww...

And the games were available to the Pre only because of the internal similarities between the iphone and the Pre making them easy to port over.
    You're right sir. Coming over to the Pixi forum is such a refreshing change of pace and the forum is so much more friendlier.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    It's funny...how many guys really need (keyword) the extra oomph of the Pre, and how many Pre owners wish they had the old treo style form factor? All we'd hear about in comparison threads are the 3d games over and over. So now it's down to a smaller screen and a few less horses. Well the wifi for some is pretty huge and pretty lame on Palm for ditching it on Sprint Pixi only to realize the mistake when the Plus came out. If Sprint completely switches to the Plus when the exclusivity runs out, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. It's just interesting as the functionality of the Pixi increases the more Pre people become interested as well as potential new users too. There's so much potential in the Pixi form factor and plenty of room to put a bigger 16:9 screen and still keep it slim and dare I say, Pixi like with a <1ghz processor, you'd probably see a lot of defectors from the Pre camp. I think it'd make a hell of a flagship device too. But what do I know. I'm not caught up in giant screens. I just want it to be big enough to be effective for the OS, and the Pixi is underwhelming in that department.

Back on topic....Does the PDK give access to the background wallpaper? I could really care less about games. I want to see increased functionality, not fluff. And that's one area where Android shines....widgets. Having immediate access to so many things on the home screens while webOS has that stagnant wallpaper. Make it active and be able to toggle through various widget like screens. That would be icing on the cake.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast