Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    My mom was looking for a new phone that could handle movies and pictures well so I could send her pictures of my daughter. I told her to get a pixi because it was easy to use and she wouldn't really have many problems getting the hang of it (she hasn't used a smartphone yet).

Anyways, she said the sprint sales person said she should get the Samsung Moment instead. Dang, ice cold.

On a side note, I recommended her the pixi because my wife (who is also a smartphone newbie) just got one and she is loving it.

What's the deal spint?
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    My mom was looking for a new phone that could handle movies and pictures well so I could send her pictures of my daughter. I told her to get a pixi because it was easy to use and she wouldn't really have many problems getting the hang of it (she hasn't used a smartphone yet).

Anyways, she said the sprint sales person said she should get the Samsung Moment instead. Dang, ice cold.

On a side note, I recommended her the pixi because my wife (who is also a smartphone newbie) just got one and she is loving it.

What's the deal spint?
    My friend just got recommended a samsung moment. HE doesn't like it very much.
  4. J0E
    No one is palm friendly. They are set up to die lets face it. When I got my pre the htc google phone came out a week later. My phone broke within 30 days and the guy at best buy (where i bought it) was encouraging me to switch while I still could. I politely declined and while I'm not sure it was the best decision I do know that no one is pushing pre's... no one. Even the sprint ads are shoving palm phones to the side now.
    Some people tend do better with Featurephones and, contrary to Verizon's idiotic "The first phone to keep up with Mom" commercials, Moms are one of them.

Have your Mom play with your wife's phone and have her see what she thinks.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Some people tend do better with Featurephones and, contrary to Verizon's idiotic "The first phone to keep up with Mom" commercials, Moms are one of them.

Have your Mom play with your wife's phone and have her see what she thinks.
    The samsung moment isn't a feature phone though.

My mom is relatively tech savy and I know what she can handle
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    what annoys me is that no mater how good the advertising - you still have to deal with salesreps repping random inferior phones
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    The moment is a piece of **it phone. We all got new phones at christmastime. My wife got a Pixi, my son a Moment, and I initially got a Hero, but switched to a Pre after playing with my wife's Pixi. Loved the OS, but needed the Wi-fi.

Anyway, my son's Moment has been nothing but trouble. After installing the latest firmware update his phone is seriously hobbled. Often restarts after he receives a text or when he plugs it into the computer to charge via USB. Forums say these are common problems Sprint and Samsung have acknowledged and are working on. I don't understand how these phones are even being sold. (The hero is a pretty decent phone--though without a physical keyboard).
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Ouch. My sister has a Moment; her only complaint has been about the battery life which was remedied by turning Background Data off. I've played with it a few times and I don't like the keyboard. I think Android is a great OS though and may switch to it this Summer depending on what Palm does as far as a new phone.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I agree. I love Android, too. Had a My Touch 3g on T-mo. Loved that phone and the rooting and cyanogem ROMs for it. But I could get 3 phones on Sprint with more minutes, etc., for what 2 phones on T-Mo would've cost me. I originally got the Hero which was a nice phone, but the physical keyboard coupled with the elegance of the WebOS of my wife's Pixi got me to move over to the Pre.

There are several Android apps I miss. And I like how with the Android market you can buy an app and have 24 hours to return it for a refund, so you can try out paid apps and see if they work for you.

But...my thinking was that mainly I need my phone to be a communication device first and foremost. Banging out emails on the virtual keyboard just doesn't come anywhere close to typing on a physical keyboard. I've not been disappointed by that aspect of my Pre (though the Pixi keyboard is to die for). I have been disappointed that the app situation hasn't improved and am becoming increasingly pessimistic that Palm is going to be able to pull this off.

Time will tell. Let's hope the situation improves before a vertical slider Android phone appears, or I might not be able to hold off.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I agree. I love Android, too. Had a My Touch 3g on T-mo. Loved that phone and the rooting and cyanogem ROMs for it. But I could get 3 phones on Sprint with more minutes, etc., for what 2 phones on T-Mo would've cost me. I originally got the Hero which was a nice phone, but the physical keyboard coupled with the elegance of the WebOS of my wife's Pixi got me to move over to the Pre.

There are several Android apps I miss. And I like how with the Android market you can buy an app and have 24 hours to return it for a refund, so you can try out paid apps and see if they work for you.

But...my thinking was that mainly I need my phone to be a communication device first and foremost. Banging out emails on the virtual keyboard just doesn't come anywhere close to typing on a physical keyboard. I've not been disappointed by that aspect of my Pre (though the Pixi keyboard is to die for). I have been disappointed that the app situation hasn't improved and am becoming increasingly pessimistic that Palm is going to be able to pull this off.

Time will tell. Let's hope the situation improves before a vertical slider Android phone appears, or I might not be able to hold off.
    another +1 for android. I like my Moment and only have the Pixi because of the size and form factor. I miss my calendar widget on my home screen and some of the customization I can do on it. The background being useless in webOS is a pain and everything requires effort to get where I can put my most important info on my home screen for immediate viewing.

I like the # of free apps as well that I gladly donated for if I chose to hang om to it. And I like how I can return an app if I pay for it and don't like it.

It looks like there is a treo style android phone on the horizon but it's a big fail IMHO. Squarish landscape screen and really wide design. Why would you make the only android phone with a non 16:9 screen. Don't believe android scales nearly as well as webOS and there were already a lot of growing pains with the 480p screens on the Droid and N1. The Pixi is the right idea with this form factor, and I hope Palm gets gen2 right with a 16x9 screen, less bezel, and some extra horses.
    that makes sense why I saw a Palm rep just standing in the phone section of the local best buy. I was going to grill her to see how "palm" smart she was but my girl was with me..
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The Palm reps are very well versed in their products, you won't ever see a Palm rep with any phone but a Palm. They aren't like Sprint or Verizon store employees who will know a random amount of information about a random assortment of phones.

Sprint stores are kinda random on which phones they recommend based on their training, experiences and preferences. In my store four of us use the Pre, one person has the new BB Curve, one guy has the Hero and one guy has a Instinct, and one has a Nokia thingy.
    I recommend the Pre/Pixi to anyone looking for a smartphone, but we've been please with the quality of the Hero and Moment. Many people seem intimidated by the gesture based navigation on the Pre, and end up going with the BB or Android units since their navigation is more like what they are used to on feature phones.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    yoshk, at a local Sprint store here a rep had an iPhone. I asked another rep what was up with that? He kind of shrugged. I just don't get it!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    I just got my wife a Pixi tonight. She's gone nuts over it. Absolutely loves it. She'd been using my Pre for a couple of months, so she easily transitioned to her Pixi. The Pixi is surprisingly fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    Ouch. My sister has a Moment; her only complaint has been about the battery life which was remedied by turning Background Data off.
    Background Data? What's that and how do I turn it off?
    [sigh.] Sad, really. Palm should have kept its retail/kiosk stores. Now, they are just shooting themselves in the foot. It's true what they say: if you want something done, you have to do it yourself.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    The Pixi is surprisingly fast.
    I am impressed with the Pixi's snappiness too. It's a joy to use.