Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Adobe indirectly have confirmed flash will not be coming to ARM7 devices aka devices with a Qualcomm's MSM7x27 Processor.

"Adobe's current verbiage is that Flash 10.1 is going to require Cortex A8".

Palm Pixi's Qualcomm Processor is a MSM7627. Hence going into the above category.

Adobe will be "overlooking devices that aren't based on an ARMv7 core like a Snapdragon or OMAP3 -- in other words, pretty much every device of consequence except the Nexus One, HTC Desire, Acer Liquid, Motorola Droid / Milestone, and Sony Ericsson X10".

Of course, this also includes the Palm Pre with the OMAP3430 (though this isnt mentioned in the article, only android devices).

Source: Engadget
    Hopefully that will change in the future...

...or maybe the Pixi will atleast get 3D games at some point.

Thanks for posting a source for your info as well.
    The Pixi might get flash later. I can see Palm wanting to differentiate the Pre. Might just be doing this to prevent the Pixi from sabotaging Pre sales. If the Pixii had been available with the same specs as the Pre, I would have considered it due to no slider and a better keyboard.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah one can hope. Else that'll royally suck for Pixi Users.

Though let's just remember the ball is in Adobe's court, they say who get's flash and who doesnt, and theyve pretty much confirmed it here, however with the number of devices with the processor coming in 2010, it's a no brainer. Though Adobe is pretty lazy...

I see too many people comparing the Pre to the Pixi when they're clearly two different class of devices, this is just one more point.
    Quote Originally Posted by VzwPrePlus View Post
    The Pixi might get flash later. I can see Palm wanting to differentiate the Pre. Might just be doing this to prevent the Pixi from sabotaging Pre sales. If the Pixii had been available with the same specs as the Pre, I would have considered it due to no slider and a better keyboard.
    who gets flash is all on adobe, there is no way palm would deny the pixi flash if adobe had the code for it(unless it was retardedly buggy). Apple could do that, but as palm stands they need every additional reason for people to buy their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post

I see too many people comparing the Pre to the Pixi when they're clearly two different class of devices, this is just one more point.
    They were both kind of marketed as the same class of device though. Some people picked the Pixi strictly for the form factor (myself included being a former centro user), but I eventually broke down and got a Pre as well. I do find myself using the Pixi more just because I'm a heavy texter and like the keyboard and overall feel just a bit better.

Funny thing is, I paid full price to get my Pixi because I didn't want to resign my contract at the time. Then I ended up getting the Pre too and paid less than half the price for it as I did my Pixi. Oh well...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    They were both kind of marketed as the same class of device though. Some people picked the Pixi strictly for the form factor (myself included being a former centro user), but I eventually broke down and got a Pre as well. I do find myself using the Pixi more just because I'm a heavy texter and like the keyboard and overall feel just a bit better.

Funny thing is, I paid full price to get my Pixi because I didn't want to resign my contract at the time. Then I ended up getting the Pre too and paid less than half the price for it as I did my Pixi. Oh well...
    It's a strange one really, Palm has stated the Pixi is a great "first smartphone" and the Pre is for the power user (directly competing with the major players in the smartphone industry).However the Pixi's form factor is just much better and is a no brainer, it's a pity the internals dont compliment this notion. They should seriously ditch the slider on the Pre, it kills my productivity tenfold.

Price wise is also weird, due to "ailing sales" you can find both the Pre and Pixi for free. That just doesn't help differentiate which smartphone is better.
    I think the "entry" level smartphone is a dumb class in today's market. With upper level smartphones selling for $100 or less, there is no need to have a cheaper, lower end class of smartphones. Palm should give up on trying to have an entry level and power user class, and just make power user devices with different profiles. There is no need to fear cannibalizing sales, as it would really just giving consumers an option for what type of hardware they want.

Even if one of there phones had to have lower stats to make it fit in a smaller package, market it as a high end low profile device instead of a cheapo version (eg. market it as a thinkpad xseries instead of a netbook). They could of done this with the pixi+ and sold it at the same price as the pre+ if they just upped the ram/hd to equal the pre (as these upgrades don't take anymore space in the device).
    It's a strange one really, Palm has stated the Pixi is a great "first smartphone" and the Pre is for the power user (directly competing with the major players in the smartphone industry).However the Pixi's form factor is just much better and is a no brainer, it's a pity the internals dont compliment this notion. They should seriously ditch the slider on the Pre, it kills my productivity tenfold.

Price wise is also weird, due to "ailing sales" you can find both the Pre and Pixi for free. That just doesn't help differentiate which smartphone is better.
    I don't understand how one or the other can be marketed as a great "first smartphone". They both have the SAME OS and do the SAME things, if someone can use the pixi they can use the pre as well, lol, marketing...

I'm hoping for the second release of webOS devices on sprint that there will be an "upgraded" pixi, I think they've realized that the pixi is the better form factor. I'm betting on seeing a beefed up pixi (or something similar with new name) this year.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I don't understand how one or the other can be marketed as a great "first smartphone". They both have the SAME OS and do the SAME things, if someone can use the pixi they can use the pre as well, lol, marketing...

I'm hoping for the second release of webOS devices on sprint that there will be an "upgraded" pixi, I think they've realized that the pixi is the better form factor. I'm betting on seeing a beefed up pixi (or something similar with new name) this year.
    Yeah, go figure

Personally, i just want them to introduce a Slab device and/or an upgraded Pixi - both with larger Screens = Epic win for me

I would be more suited to a Slab device, i dont really have preference of a hard keyboard (well, coming from a Pre with sub par slider).

Anyways, going off topic. I need flash on my Pre! -.-
    Yeah, go figure

Personally, i just want them to introduce a Slab device and/or an upgraded Pixi - both with larger Screens = Epic win for me
    +1 I think one or the other will come true.

And you'll have your flash soon enough
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    I think the "entry" level smartphone is a dumb class in today's market. With upper level smartphones selling for $100 or less, there is no need to have a cheaper, lower end class of smartphones. Palm should give up on trying to have an entry level and power user class, and just make power user devices with different profiles. There is no need to fear cannibalizing sales, as it would really just giving consumers an option for what type of hardware they want.

Even if one of there phones had to have lower stats to make it fit in a smaller package, market it as a high end low profile device instead of a cheapo version (eg. market it as a thinkpad xseries instead of a netbook). They could of done this with the pixi+ and sold it at the same price as the pre+ if they just upped the ram/hd to equal the pre (as these upgrades don't take anymore space in the device).
    You make very good points, not much to add

Having different form factors with roughly the same internals (makes for easier app development - Android is an **** from a devs perspective) with the only differentiating main features would be screen size/keyboard (due to profile) would be the way to go in my opinion.
    all I know is if they treat the pixi as a second class phone, i'll be back to android real quick when a next gen slider replaces the Moment be it from HTC or Samsung. I have zero loyalty to Palm and both OS's have their pluses and minuses.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.

+1 Exactly
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    if pixi is not getting flash why on the palm site does the new changelog for the pixi state it does support flash? I'm going back to palm to check that again. Ok I'm back yep it does say that.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by del420 View Post
    if pixi is not getting flash why on the palm site does the new changelog for the pixi state it does support flash? I'm going back to palm to check that again. Ok I'm back yep it does say that.
    they might receive flash Lite, but thats about it im guessing.

Adobe isn't going to code flash 10.1 only for one specific device with a specific processor when theyve unfortunately clearly said flash 10.1 will not be available in that range of processors, only Cortex A8 and above.

And also logic assumes Adobe knows more than Palm does. Which is why Palm hasnt officially confirmed flash for pixi.

EDIT: Checked the Log, indeed it states Pixi will get flash 10.1 Beta Plugin. Palm stated the Beta will ONLY be available for the Pre, im thinking Palm made a mistake when they posted this changelog.
    almost certainly a typo on palm's part, adobe is not even making flash 10.1 for wm6.5, which should have a lot more pull than the pixi. It would be nice if we eventually get flash lite, as it the moto phone with the same processor as us gets flash lite.
  18.    #18  
    almost certainly a typo on palm's part, adobe is not even making flash 10.1 for wm6.5, which should have a lot more pull than the pixi. It would be nice if we eventually get flash lite, as it the moto phone with the same processor as us gets flash lite.
    Confirmed with a Palm Rep (if thats credible or not) that its most likely a mistake /typo and he's forwarded it to his supervisor.
    Confirmed with a Palm Rep (if thats credible or not) that its most likely a mistake /typo and he's forwarded it to his supervisor.
    lol
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    well as a pixi user I guess flash lite is better than no flash at all. Also I would like 3D games but it's not that big a deal, I have game systems. I just want to be able to see some pix & clips on the web. Also I just can't bring myself to buy a pre, it just feels to cheep in my hand. So I'll wait for the c40. All in all thanx palm you are the shiznit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast