Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I thought Palm was going to use Flash as a weapon against the iPhone. Kinda hard if they don't support it on all their WebOS phones. Palm really needs to have a single OS platform. How are they going to compete with their size with multiple WebOS platforms?
    that's why you create two phones of the same caliber with different form factors being the only differentiation. Don't think the public needs a "starter" phone. If it's quality, they'll pay the extra $50 or so for a better Pixi.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I think it's more Adobe, stating that the Pixi simply doesn't have the hardware requirements. It's due to the processor in the Pixi, which is basically a step below the cpu in the Pre.
    well it's not that it doesn't have "good" enough innards. The Pixi can be a very capable phone. I think they just drew the line somewhere and the Pre and Blur (or whatever the hell that Moto is) got screwed.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    well it's not that it doesn't have "good" enough innards. The Pixi can be a very capable phone. I think they just drew the line somewhere and the Pre and Blur (or whatever the hell that Moto is) got screwed.
    True enough
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    In the end I bet both Palm and Adobe get dinged. Palm for providing a fragmented platform and Adobe for fragmenting WebOS as well as other platforms.
    I can certainly see Adobe taking some heat for the Android specs. Most older devices won't, apparently, be compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I thought Palm was going to use Flash as a weapon against the iPhone. Kinda hard if they don't support it on all their WebOS phones. Palm really needs to have a single OS platform. How are they going to compete with their size with multiple WebOS platforms?
    Agreed. First, no Wi-Fi (Sprint) and if true, a crippled version of Flash. Seriously, if Palm was serious about getting their act together, they should have, at the very least, had the same processor for both Pre and Pixi.

Wi-Fi I can wait for. Flash is essential. C'mon Palm...
    more reason why the next webOS device on Sprint should be a Pixi variant.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    They were both kind of marketed as the same class of device though. Some people picked the Pixi strictly for the form factor (myself included being a former centro user), but I eventually broke down and got a Pre as well. I do find myself using the Pixi more just because I'm a heavy texter and like the keyboard and overall feel just a bit better.

Funny thing is, I paid full price to get my Pixi because I didn't want to resign my contract at the time. Then I ended up getting the Pre too and paid less than half the price for it as I did my Pixi. Oh well...
    I'm in that class. I came from a Treo 650 and liked the Pixi better than the Pre. The Sprint sales person didn't mention any differences in the guts of the two phones. I guess I could have looked around the store to see and compare spec sheets, but I just assumed that since the Pixi was newer that it had at least the same guts in it. Knowing what I know now (all knowledge comes from precentral so thanks guys/gals) I more than likely would have still gone with the Pixi just for the shear fact that the Pre slider doesn't look like it would last the 2 years until my next upgrade became available and I cant afford to buy one straight up. In the end I am a little mad that the differences between the guts of the two phones were not clearly stated to me when I was in the store.

Back to original topic it does suck that it seems like the Pixi will not be getting flash any time soon. Although it doesn't say that Adobe will never add support for other processors.
    I think its just a matter of playing the waiting game until sales pick up for the pixi. Once more people start buying it then thats more money for palm and more motivation to bring it up to par with pre. I really like the form factor of the pixi and really hope it gets the same love as the pre. If the new pixi gets better cpu and more memory and games and flash im on board.
    as long as flash works in the pixi who cares if its "lite"?
    Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    as long as flash works in the pixi who cares if its "lite"?
    From all rumors about Flash Lite on the Hero, etc ... it suuuucks. Not like a real Flash experience at all.
    what is the real flash experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    what is the real flash experience?
    Real Flash experience = Full version of Flash
    ok which is what exactly? what does that entail and how does the "lite" version suffer?
    bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Adobe indirectly have confirmed flash will not be coming to ARM7 devices aka devices with a Qualcomm's MSM7x27 Processor.

"Adobe's current verbiage is that Flash 10.1 is going to require Cortex A8".

Palm Pixi's Qualcomm Processor is a MSM7627. Hence going into the above category.

Adobe will be "overlooking devices that aren't based on an ARMv7 core like a Snapdragon or OMAP3 -- in other words, pretty much every device of consequence except the Nexus One, HTC Desire, Acer Liquid, Motorola Droid / Milestone, and Sony Ericsson X10".

Of course, this also includes the Palm Pre with the OMAP3430 (though this isnt mentioned in the article, only android devices).

Source: Engadget
    For the record, while the general sentiment of your initial post is 100% correct, there are a few details that are contradictory.

You say that it's not coming to ARM7 devices like the Pixi. Then you say it's coming to only ARMv7 devices like the Pre.

Just as a slight bit of clarification:

ARM7 (aka ARMv3) is stuff from years and years ago (like the Psion), so you don't mean that.

The Pixi and older Android devices (Hero, etc.) have an ARM11 / ARMv6 CPU. Flash is not coming to these devices.

The newer generation of ARM CPUs, the Cortex series and the Snapdragon, are ARMv7 CPUs. Flash will be possible on these devices.

It's just a different architecture of CPU. Similar to how quite a few of the native components for homebrew apps need a separately compiled version for the Pixi, Flash would require a different version for ARMv6 as well.

As for the people saying that the Pixi wasn't marketed as a lower-end device, really? I mean, all of the reviews said that it was less capable. It didn't have Wifi which you must've known from the start. It's cheaper than the Pre. And then there's also the picture below.

I always thought it was pretty clear myself that the Pixi was intended to be lower end, though I guess maybe one could've missed all of the signs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    doesnt the hero have flash lite?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12