1.    #1  
    It's my understanding that the Pre has a piece of dormant hardware called the "GPU" (Graphics Processor Unit), and when the software is finally updated to utilize this, the device will perform a lot better. Assuming my understanding is correct, and anyone, please feel free to correct me...

So here's my question. Is this the same for the Pixi? Pixi Plus?
    Yup, the Pixi is running the Qualcomm 7227 chip, which does have a GPU, though I don't know about the speed it would run at (probably 200 Mhz though the chipset is slower than the Cortex A8 on which the Pre is based)
    The Pre is already using the GPU for 3D gaming. When the PDK goes public in march we should see more, however it does not use it for the GUI. The pixi has a GPU.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  4.    #4  
    Makes sense for 3D gaming, which is, I should say, pretty sweet. I really like Asphalt5. If the performance of 3D gaming is any indication of how the rest of the UI will perform, I think we'll be pretty happy.
    Someone explained a big difference between the iphone and webOS/Android is that the iphone takes advantage of the gpu throughout the OS where webOS and Android do not. Which would be why the iphone is much zippier throughout especially through transations and such. And that both OS's will rely more on the faster processors in future models to pick up the slack. Kinda sucks because I'd rather see the CPU and GPU being utilized more efficiently than the CPU having to be the workhorse Would imagine it would improve battery life. But that would take a major overhaul of the OS to involve the GPU on a regular basis.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Someone explained a big difference between the iphone and webOS/Android is that the iphone takes advantage of the gpu throughout the OS where webOS and Android do not. Which would be why the iphone is much zippier throughout especially through transations and such. And that both OS's will rely more on the faster processors in future models to pick up the slack. Kinda sucks because I'd rather see the CPU and GPU being utilized more efficiently than the CPU having to be the workhorse Would imagine it would improve battery life. But that would take a major overhaul of the OS to involve the GPU on a regular basis.
    It isn't just not using the GPU that is making WebOS slow. Javascript is inherently slow compared to what iPhone uses. Pretty much everything about WebOS is poorly optimized. It is going to take a miracle for them to ever catch iPhone on that front.