Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally bought the pre plus, traded it for a pixi after a week. The keyboard was absolutely terrible on the pre and I didnt like the slider either. With the pixi I can type faster than one key per second and not have to worry about it double-typing or skipping letters.
    I just bought a pixi for my wife. She likes my iphone but didn't want to leave verizon and needed to move to a smartphone from her old razr. I have to say that the experience of buying it a the verizon store was much better than i anticipated. The salesperson was very helpfull and didn't steer us towards more expensive phones or plans. She helped my wife set up the email and calendar.

I have since upgraded the os to 1.4 and helped her install a few apps. I am impressed with how user friendly it is (although i shouldn't be, i was a big fan of my palm pilots back in the day). being an iphone user, i also admire the pixi's ability to multitask. I like the wifi on the plus.

aside from the slower processor, smaller internal memory, and form factor, what are the differences b/w the pixi and pre? are people happy with the pixi?
    I switched to a Pixi from a Pre on Sprint. There was nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to it suit my needs better. I am a hardcore messanger (SMS, twitter, facebook, emal, ect.) and I was sliding the keyboard out way too much. I was worried the device would not last me the 12+ months I would need it to. Also, the batter life was a downer. I could only get a day of semi heavy use out of it. Now I am happy with my Pixi. Better battery life, bettey keyboard, better build quality, same great OS.
    I switched from a blackberry 8330 to a Pixi. Didn't go for Pre because I'm not a fan of the keyboard. Pixi is more powerful then my curve so its an upgrade for me!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattflick819 View Post
    I switched from a blackberry 8330 to a Pixi. Didn't go for Pre because I'm not a fan of the keyboard. Pixi is more powerful then my curve so its an upgrade for me!
    aha i just made the exact same switch. all the people who complain about how slow the pixi is have obviously never had a blackberry!

i love the pixi plus so far. the only thing that annoys me about it is the probable lack of flash support.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    The only phone that would get me to trade in my Pixi is the Pre Plus. But I cannot justify leaving the lower-cost Sprint for the ****-pounding cost of Verizon.
    Exactly! How can you beat sprints everything plan for only $69? Also, in my personal experiance..(after having all major carriers in the US), I can proudly say Sprint has great coverage and Excellent customer service at a great price. Something that other carriers only had one or the other.

Rating Scale (Excellent,Great,Okay,Poor,**** Poor)

ATT (at the time, cingular): Great coverage/**** poor Cust Serv/Okay Pricing
    Verizon :Great Coverage/Okay Cust Service/**** Poor Pricing
    T-Mobile :Okay Coverage/Excellent Cust Serv/Great Pricing
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I guess I'll add my .02. I had the Pixi Plus for 30 days. I liked the OS and the integration to email and FB, etc. The battery life wasn't the best, but I could live with it. I just couldn't adjust to the screen size. It was just a bit to small. Didn't have a chance to try 1.4 before my 30 days were up to see if it would be worth. I don't hate the phone or the OS and actually hope that another Pixi style device comes along with a little bigger and I'll come back. But for know I'll be using a Storm2 because of the screen and most of my friends have switched to Berry's.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I had a sprint pre for about 4-5 months, until I returned my 3rd pre for continuing hardware/display problems. I loved webOS, but I absolutely hated the hardware.

I snapped, went to verizon, and bought a droid. Loved the droid (great battery, great screen, solid hardware), but after using a nexus one during my travels in Japan, I came across so many android shortcomings that I vowed to switch back to webOS as soon as I got back to the states. One of the worst, was using my hotel wifi to load up very complicated directions to get to a small shop in tokyo. Once we got off the subway, and switched to the browser, it'd immediately would clear out our pre-loaded directions page and attempt to refresh it, failing due to the lack of a data connection and making it impossible for us to get our directions. That, and the ****ty software keyboard, among a slew of other UI inconsistencies (i'm a UI/ux ****), made me lose faith in android.

And here I am - sold the nexus one, my droid is for sale, and I've been using a pixi plus on verizon. I love it - like a breath of fresh air. The biggest things I notice:

1) *love* the form factor . even when I'm not using it, I want to hold it. It fits in my hand perfectly.
    2) touchstone - love it. I love never having to touch a wire for my pixi.
    3) multitasking - even though android "multitasks", i felt like I was using the OS using tunnelvisioned binoculars. I could never get a instant overview of what apps were running, and what apps were doing. Just couldn't get used to that model - I like retaining control of what apps stay open, what apps get closed, etc.
    4) polish - the pre is bright, fun to use, intuitive, fluid, and gets out of your way. android is dark, a bit kludgy (responsive, but the UX is kludgy), and generally feels like all the ends weren't tied up.
    5) keyboard - the pixi's keyboard beats the droid and nexus one's text input methods, drastically.
    6) screen - definitely miss the screen size, resolution, and screen estate of the droid.
    7) having a hardware vibrate/ringer toggle is awesome.
    8) the pixi lags - a lot. sometimes I have to click 2 or 3 times to make sure it didn't just fail at registering the first touch. I'm hoping future webOS updates will fix this, as I get the feeling tons of CPU cycles are being wasted trying to interpret javascript rather than running it off cached pre-compiled bytecode, orsomething.
    Last edited by kertong; 03/22/2010 at 04:05 PM.
    I went from helio ocean to pixi. man have i been missing out. the keyboard takes a bit used to but dang how i missed much.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I bought a Pre on Sprint the day before the release as a Sprint Premere customer. I really liked it, but I just started missing the candybar form factor of my Treo phones. I realized that I mostly text and talk on the phone. I don't play 3D games, have more than 3 cards open at a time, or use WiFi. I was constantly sliding the keyboard in and out. Also, the plastic coating started to chip and crack. The pearl button was looking worn. It was losing its polished look.

I went to the Sprint store and tried out the Pixi. Once I started typing on the keyboard, I had to have it. I paid full price for it rather than wait until June and sign another 2-year contract. I am really glad I did. I am really enjoying the Pixi. It's a little unresponsive, but the keyboard is amazing, WebOS still rules, the form factor feels great in my hand and in my pocket, and it's powerful enough to do what I ask it to do. Plus, I can still get a phone upgrade later in the year if there's a WP7S phone on Sprint that blows me away.
    I chose a Pixi for 1) the price difference over a Pre 2) the candybar design 3) the keyboard.

I switched to a Pixi from a BB Pearl and, other than having to do a lot of stuff in Dev. Mode, it's working out great! Granted, I'm not a heavy cell user - I check my email and save the long ones for a CPU, text a bit, make calls, play a few games when I'm waiting on line, check the weather, look at a map once in a while - but that's it. I look at it as a fancy phone, not a small computer.

If you decide to get either phone, be prepared to tweak it with Homebrew Apps and patches. I can't imagine not installing some of these...
    I went from a Treo 700p and Treo 755 to 2 PIxi's

1 The screen is about the same size as the Treo. The Treo is just thicker
    2 The screen of the Pixi is slightly larger
    3 The Pixi looks just like a Treo once you put the CLASSIC app on it
    4 All of your Palm apps and Treo files can be moved to the Pixi once the Classic app is installed. You can even use Document to go and the Palm Desktop
    5 The Pixi has 8 gig of ram .
    6 The Pixi has the best keyboard of any device I have ever used

I have not tried pdanet yet but plan on doing it this week
    I also plan on trying backup buddy

I dont understand why Pixi and Pre owners dont invest in the Classic app so they can use previous palm applications. On the other hand Palm should have given this App to existing Treo users for free.

I hope this helps somebody else
    My friend is switching from a pre to a pixi because she doesn't care for the slider on the pre. She said you cant get many cases for the pre because of it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald600 View Post
    I went from a Treo 700p and Treo 755 to 2 PIxi's

1 The screen is about the same size as the Treo. The Treo is just thicker
    2 The screen of the Pixi is slightly larger
    3 The Pixi looks just like a Treo once you put the CLASSIC app on it
    4 All of your Palm apps and Treo files can be moved to the Pixi once the Classic app is installed. You can even use Document to go and the Palm Desktop
    5 The Pixi has 8 gig of ram .
    6 The Pixi has the best keyboard of any device I have ever used

I have not tried pdanet yet but plan on doing it this week
    I also plan on trying backup buddy

I dont understand why Pixi and Pre owners dont invest in the Classic app so they can use previous palm applications. On the other hand Palm should have given this App to existing Treo users for free.

I hope this helps somebody else
    Thanks Ronald600 for this simple review.

I'm trying to decide whether to wait for a Pixi to arrive here in Canada or just get the Pre. I've tried the Pre out in the stores, and I'm not too fond of the sliding action. I am a Treo user and I have compared the specs to a Pixi and it seems like the Pixi gives me what I need (plus the nice UI). I just hope when (or if...) the Pixi does come to Canada, Palm doesn't bring out a similar device. Thanks again.
    I plan to switch to a Pixi, as an ATT customer I must wait for the Pixi to arrive at ATT, and then talk them into letting me use it on my iPhone plan, as work pays for my phone and iPhone data plan. One stopping point for me is the full pop to pay outside of an upgrade, that would be approx 400.00 I'm guessing, and as much as I love the Pixi if I'm forced to pay 400.00 I'm sadly not going to be able to justify 400.00 for a nearly two year old phone.
    Why oh why won't Palm sell their phones unlocked? Like who would that hurt? Maybe they would sell them for less than the providers. What would be ideal is to pick an ATT one up from ebay for a good price then just use it with iPhone plan.
    answer is simple...sell your iphone to pay for the pixi. Problem solved. AT&T doesn't owe you a thing and you've had it easy with work picking up the tab. If you were to buy a Pixi Plus new, you would be paying $400. Cry to mama about being forced...
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    answer is simple...sell your iphone to pay for the pixi. Problem solved. AT&T doesn't owe you a thing and you've had it easy with work picking up the tab. If you were to buy a Pixi Plus new, you would be paying $400. Cry to mama about being forced...
    Well since I don't pay for the iPhone I feel that the iPhone is not mine to sell, so that's not a solution. I'll wait and see what happens, I use the iPhone to serve music in my car thru my stereo, my daily phone is an N79. Love a full featured small phone that doesn't have a 3-4 inch touchscreen-thus my attraction to the Pixi.
    well and good. Just don't understand why you're complaining. The Pixi Plus was just released on Verizon what, a month or so ago? webOS isn't even a year old yet (june). You get a free phone. You don't pay for service. You're wrong on the age of the phone. And $400 is pretty reasonable for a off contract smartphone. Love whatever you want. You have no grounds to be upset about anything You could even sell your N79 then to offset the purchase. New N79's are going for $300 plus on ebay and that phone is almost a 2yr old phone with almost a full year on webOS and more than that on the Pixi.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    For all you Verizon people exchanging the pre plus for the pixi plus, did they charge you a restocking fee? I'm considering making the switch since the hardware on the pre + makes me a nervous wreck, I just don't want to have to pay $35 to exchange it.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Switched from Motorola Milestone to Pixi+, androids little telephony bugs were getting on my nerves and wanted to try WebOS, loved the Pixi's form factor and had enough of sliders for now so went for the Px+
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast