Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    is it possible for the pixi to get 3D games one day?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio1194 View Post
    is it possible for the pixi to get 3D games one day?
    More than likely, yes one day it will. But not yet.
  3. #3  
    It's possible. But I don't believe it's going to come anytime soon. Right now they are focusing on the Pre.
  4. #4  
    i disagree i dont think the pixi can the pre can barely handle them with its superior internals
  5. #5  
    The Pixi is still fully capable of 3D games and probably Flash support as well, it just takes time to program it for a different processor and I think they're focusing more resources on the Pre.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    i disagree i dont think the pixi can the pre can barely handle them with its superior internals
    I think the pre can handle them fine. When I'm running games that's generally the ONLY card I have open. I also think the Pixi would handle them fine. I don't notice too much difference in speed between the pre and pixi unless I'm heavily multi-tasking (like trying to run more cards than I can truly "multi-task"). Just my OPINION
  7. #7  
    well like i said the pre can handle them i just dont find being locked into one card just because im playing a 3d game satisfactory and hope they can fix it but im still doubtful that the pixi can handle them
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    well like i said the pre can handle them i just dont find being locked into one card just because im playing a 3d game satisfactory and hope they can fix it but im still doubtful that the pixi can handle them
    It personally doesn't bother me, I mean how hard is it to reopen a card. And when I'm playing a game I'm not ever looking on the internet, messaging, checking my email, and using GPS all at the same time.
    How many other things can you truly do (or need to do) while playing a game?
    And what did you do prior to WebOS? One thing at a time. No matter what WebOS will never be "good enough" for everyone. We could have 10 cards open while playing NFS and people would still complain.
  9. #9  
    no i fully agree that people will always want more than what theyre given but the biggest selling point of the pre is multitasking and if thats gone what can it do the competitors cant
  10. Nikolai's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #10  
    is it not possible to get Quake or VBA for the pixi?
  11. #11  
    not as of now
  12. #12  
    yes because on the iphone you can do so many other things while playing a 3d game. Just saying. And the Pixi processor isn't exactly anemic.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    well like i said the pre can handle them i just dont find being locked into one card just because im playing a 3d game satisfactory and hope they can fix it but im still doubtful that the pixi can handle them
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  13. #13  
    It's probably more of a cpu archtecture thing. The Pre uses an Arm7 instruction set and the Pixi uses an Arm6 instruction set.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  14. #14  
    but that's just a programming issue which is separate from the chipset being capable of handling the games.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    but that's just a programming issue which is separate from the chipset being capable of handling the games.
    Oh I am sure the Pixi can handle the games, but in order to do this Palm would have to have 2 different versions of the games, one for the Pre and one for the Pixi. (It would be transparent to the end user buying the game, just one app in the catalog).

    The current crop of 3D games have been optimized for the Cortex A8. The compiled code won't run on the ARM11 Pixi. Though games that are built for the ARM11 platform (iPhone 3G games) WILL work with the Cortex A8 (iPhone 3GS) because it is backwards compatible with ARM11.

    I like to compare the Cortex A8 to a Pentium and the ARM11 to a 486. Yes you could get a 486 DX4 100mhz and also get a Pentium running at 100mhz, but the Pentium will always be faster, because clock for clock it can crank out more calculations than the 486, at the exact same clock speed.

    I remember the day when I upgraded my 486 DX2 66mhz to a 486 DX4 100mhz. Oh those were the days.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  16. #16  
    one more reason for palm to go to the same chipset with the two form factors. Just make the form factor and overall screen size the choosing factors.

    and if we want to get nostalgic...I remember upgrading from my 8-bit MOS 6502CPU w/4k RAM Atari 400 to the blazing Atari 800XL with same processor but a whopping 64k of RAM. Thankfully I kept all my programs safe and sound on my cassette drive
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  17. #17  
    If nothing else, it'd be nice to have "lite" versions of the 3D games that've been bestowed upon Pre owners. And with the news I've been seeing as of late online, it's plausible that Palm might be able to sell enough Pixies (through Verizon and AT&T) for developers to at least release some decent 3D software on the Pixi itself (due to higher demand and a bigger audience of potential buyers).
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    It personally doesn't bother me, I mean how hard is it to reopen a card. And when I'm playing a game I'm not ever looking on the internet, messaging, checking my email, and using GPS all at the same time.
    How many other things can you truly do (or need to do) while playing a game?
    And what did you do prior to WebOS? One thing at a time. No matter what WebOS will never be "good enough" for everyone. We could have 10 cards open while playing NFS and people would still complain.
    I agree with you but the handheld is made primarily to make calls and if you are playing a 3D game (if it's possible later) in a card and you receive a call, it opens a new card... can the pixi handle both cards at the same time? I have the pre and only one card open playing a 3D game and sometimes I get the message "sorry too many cards"
  19. #19  
    I've had the web and email open and have gotten too many cards. I think it's more of a glitch than the norm, and as webOS progresses the too many cards error will diminish.

    Though 1.4 in general has been more of a headache than 1.3.5 for me, and if I have to go back to stock I'd just as well drop webOS entirely since patches are the saving grace for me. I get more errors, slow downs and resets now than I did with 1.3.5 and the same exact programs and patches, and that's after two doctors.
  20. #20  
    is it the pre on sprint because the pre and pixi have the same RAM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions