Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavemanUT View Post
    It looks like the Pixi suffered damage from something pressing against the screen. Are you sure you are not Bill Bixby come back from the 70's?
    The Droid Calendar isn't perfect. I'd actually prefer the 755 calendar. That being said, it is WAY more usable than the Pre/Pixi calendar. When I click on it, it is open.
    The PalmOS calendar was stellar. Other companies will be hard pressed to match it.

I'm interested in seeing you report how successful you may have been at exporting/importing your existing/previous PalmOS calendar entries into Android.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not saying that anyone is dumb for having a Palm. If it works for you, good. It didn't for me.

I've had the droid since Thursday. I traveled from Murfreesboro, TN to Winston Salem, NC and back on Friday/Saturday. I'm already THRILLED with VZs network. Areas where I had no coverage from Sprint worked on VZ. I was trying to call VZs customer service, and about every 3-4 minutes, the coverage would drop. But I was in a very sparsely populated mountain area (North of WS on I77), and I was surprised I had coverage at all.

I'm really hoping that my Droid doesn't have problems. It may. If it does, I'll be happy to return here to let you know. I don't expect it to be perfect. I do expect it to be functional though. I'm on the 5th day having it, and I've been nothing but happy thus far. Only problem has been a few "force close" messages. But it starts right back and keeps on going.

D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I'd love for you to give us some updates regarding how the transition goes for you from PalmOS to Andriod. (Yeah, some people might ry to turn it into a p1ssing match, but your experience on your transition will likely have value to many ex PalmOS people.)

I'm trying to keep this friendly, but people really take offense to my unhappiness with Palm.

Thus far, it's been flawless. I uploaded my contacts (from my 755) to Google Contacts. I uploaded my calendar to google calendar. Logged into that account when I turned the phone on for the first time. Bam. It was ready to go. If I'd have known the sync was going to be this easy, I'd have done it a long time ago. It's amazing how easy they've made it! And, I've got universal backups that I can use on any other phone going forward. Unlike the Palm backup, which can only be used on a Pre/Pixi, and they appear to lose fairly often.

Complaints about the Droid? It's HEAVY. HEAVY. Wow. Probably in part because I went to it from the Pixi. The Pixi is the lightest phone I've ever owned. Also, I really prefer the form factor of the Pixi. I was reading in another thread earlier, but the Pixi SHOULD be the flagship device for palm. It feels so much better than the Pre. The build quality is amazingly better. The keyboard is better. But they crippled it by removing WIFI and giving it a slower CPU.

D.C.
    I actually wanted this thread to be dramatic. Maybe it'll get someone's attention over at Palm.
    To tell you the truth, drama will achieve little without hard facts that clearly state problems without exaggerating.

The whole thing was meant to feel like a breakup letter (John Deer letter anyone. Dumb and Dumber reference. Eh, whatever).
    I had never heard of a John Deere letter before your post. The idea of the wife leaving me and taking the tractor with her is sort of funny. They are damn good tractors and I could see why she might want it!

Guess I'm not as smart/funny as I thought.
    You're OK in my book!

I would have to wait, LITERALLY, 10 seconds before the Calendar/Email/Phone apps would be ready to use FREQUENTLY. Not EVERY time, but at least 25% of the time. Believe me or not, I don't care. But that's the truth. 4 seconds would have been fine. The Pixi is slower than the Pre, and the Pre is slower than my 755!
    Thanks for coming clean. I can see how the Pixi's slow processor and EVDO/1xrtt instead of WiFi could make that happen.
    i've had my pre since day one, no problems at all. its been dropped about 4-5 times without a case and no scratches or cracks, and im happy with it and sprint.

the only thing i really want is more memory+storage, and a cortex a9. besides that, better build quality, but the form factor of the pre is perfect for me.
    I'm trying to keep this friendly, but people really take offense to my unhappiness with Palm. ...
    Clarifying your assertions with more fact-based info is the way to stop such complaints of disbelief. You're doing that now (and adding significant value to the thread as a result).
    To tell you the truth, drama will achieve little without hard facts that clearly state problems without exaggerating.
    Read the post though. I did state the facts. The phone is slow to the point that it's unusable. I tried to convince myself that I was happy with the phone. But I wasn't. Can you honestly tell me you've never accidentally dialed someone in your call history because you pushed the screen twice because the first time you pushed it nothing happened. Then, when the screen finally caught up, it was dialing someone who was under the old "button" that you pushed. I did that daily.

D.C.

I had never heard of a John Deere letter before your post. The idea of the wife leaving me and taking the tractor with her is sort of funny. They are damn good tractors and I could see why she might want it!
    Dear John letter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D.C.
    You seriously think the calendar on the Droid is more functional than the one on the Pre?

I don't even know what to say to that. Early April Fools?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    You seriously think the calendar on the Droid is more functional than the one on the Pre?

I don't even know what to say to that. Early April Fools?
    ABSOLUTELY. I click the Calendar Icon and it's open. EOT.

D.C.
    Read the post though. I did state the facts.
    Initially some of what you said did not ring true with many users' experiences. It's natural for people to question these things until they get a complete context of how/why things happened the way they did for you. Some of what happened to you was probably preventable, but you're happy now and your story has been clearly told. That's about as good an outcome as we can hope for here!
    I find it hilarious that someone who constantly breaks their phones is angry at the manufacterer?!?!?! Sorry but I feel very confident that it is harder to mishandle and break this or any smartphone than it is to just be a little careful with them. I have never broken a smartphone in my entier life and I am a power user. The palm pre is no exception. Take care of your stuff betetr and you wont have any problems bro!
    ABSOLUTELY. I click the Calendar Icon and it's open. EOT.

D.C.
    I thought you said goodbye? Why are you still here? Go play on the Android side of the sand box. Joking.

I've used about every phone made. At least tried them. I played with the Moto Droid for about a week. You are correct about the speed. The phones response is amazing. I dont understand why the Pre doesnt respond like the Droid and iPhone. They have the same guts. That being said. I find the Pre more user friendly. I to have had issues, but almost all of them have been from installing homebrew. Which I blame myself for. The phone crashed last week, because of a app I installed from homebrew. Yes the Pixi is slower, no iVe never dialed anyone by mistake.

To me the calendar is great. I enter something on my phone, 10 seconds later it pops up on my wifes. She enters something on hers, I get a alert and its on my calendar. The month view needs some work, but I use the synced copy on my computer to do most of my planning, so I realy only use the pre using the day view. Maybe im missing somthing here?

Oh and I must admit I use my Google Adress book to sync with. So I dont just rely on some cloud, I have no real access to. I agree with you there. I could not imagine loosing all my work contacts.
    Last edited by crawdaddct; 02/08/2010 at 10:39 AM.
  14.    #54  
    This is the thread for general Palm Pixi complaints and replies. All "I'm leaving" posts and replies go here as well. Here is an article summarizing major complaints.

Thread moved.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/08/2010 at 10:54 AM.
    The pixi hasn't reached our area yet (Canada), but after the reading this thread, I'm slowly having some doubts about getting it. I too was a previous palm user (Treo 600), and I thought it was a great device (for the time it came out). I have tried out the Pre at the stores, and some apps open slow and some don't, but the whole webOS thing is pretty cool.

It's truely sad to read so many negative post about this phone. Now I'll have to reconsider what new phone to get.

Thanks for the info, and I hope your android experience goes well for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan006 View Post
    The pixi hasn't reached our area yet (Canada), but after the reading this thread, I'm slowly having some doubts about getting it. I too was a previous palm user (Treo 600) ...
    You have to take into account the factors that slowed his Pre down (and were even worse on his Pixi)
    1. The way he managed his email. (This is an issue on any device.)
    2. having lots of recurring appointments going on for perpetuity.
    3. switching to a less powerful device
    4. switching to a device with generally slower network connections

I might not recommend a Sprint Pixi, but I think a Verizon Pixi would likely still be usable with a fast wifi connection and Verizon likely to have more non-roaming EVDO conections than Sprint.

You are probably better cleaning up your calendar appointments before putting them in the cloud.

With the above two steps, and managing your email, you'll find a Sprint or Verizon Pre and a Verizon Pixi to be fine devices. (Especially compared with the Treo 600. I was actually using one of my old Treo 600's before getting the Sprint Pre on launch day, and the difference is night and day!)
    OK, so I've cried wolf before... http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ally-suck.html But I'm serious this time. I'm done and I'm never going back.

If you read that post, you'll see I decided I was done with palm a few years ago. If you look at my registration date for this site, you'll see I've been around for a long time. Don't post much, but rarely a reason to. I'm not some guy who is trolling to promote their new Droid phone. But I just don't feel like I've really moved on until I get this "John Deer" letter out of the way.

Palm. You suck.
    Sorry guy, this is where you lost my interest. It's not a review, not even a real "This is why I'm bothered" post. It's a rant.
    Ive been having a problem with my Pixi ever since I got it on 1/19/2010.

To make a long story short, when I make OUTGOING calls from numbers in the Phonebook, the earpiece becomes a speaker for the microphone. I can hear myself and background noise.

Its only on outgoing and I just discovered only when I call from my phonebook.

If I call my girlfriend and dial her number with the keypad, no problems - from the phonebook - feedback/echo

Ive exchanged the phone 3 times and have contacted palm & sprint regarding this issue. Im convinced its a bug.
    Greetings.
    Alright, I have this problem. For some reason, my Pixi plus keeps shutting down on its own. I don't do anything to it, and next thing you know, I have to reboot the damn thing. It happens after it goes in sleep mode. I know its not too big of an issue, but I've missed 4 important calls because of it shutting down on its own accord! And it shuts down 4 times a day, without fail.
    Ok, any thoughts or similar issues? Any solutions?
    Your replies will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by morzzan View Post
    ...I don't do anything to it, and next thing you know, I have to reboot the damn thing
    sounds like my dear old 650...nonetheless, that thing lasted me years...but I havent even had my pixi for 3 weeks yet so I cant really help u out there, sorry. anyway, I love the phone. my 3 main gripes include the following: battery life, battery life, battery life. It DOES last me at least a full day and the following morning and I DO use internet/preware/emails CONSTANTLY but it just seems like the battery level is ALWAYS low, but nonetheless it usually lasts me. Turning down the brightness helps a ton, as well as turning off gps, etc. It is awesome that it can charge via usb though so I usually carry my cord around just in case. I wanna get touchstone but dont wanna dish out the cash just let. I pretty much love everything else about the phone. yea, opening an app on a freshly booted device may take 4-6 seconds, it is definitely faster any subsequent time it is opened but if there is an app I use frequently, I'll OBVIOUSLY just keep it open. [MULTI-TASKING!] Anyway, the device is seriously great. Im on Sprint...calls, texts, emails, calendar, internet, navigation...and most other apps I cant think of right now, work perfectly 99% of the time. I may get a 2 second lag on any random program for any random reason maybe once every 4 days...HUGE improvement over my i760. With the multitude of patches I have installed, I got the phone to do exactly most of what Id like to do, seriously the patches are awesome and fix a ton of things that kinda sucked at first but now are a thing of the past. LED notifications are VERY cool. Ive tried many a themes but many of theme were way too flashy, had the "Have Some Color 2.0" theme by anaglich for a while [amazing theme!] but eventually just stuck with the original because it is just right.

Well I know Ive just been rambling on but I want to end on this:
    I love the pixi, no homo, just pick one up and feel how great it fits in your hand. Basic functions work perfectly and it is very simple to use. Gestures take some getting used to (~2 days) but work great, especially advanced gestures. Cards, internet, multitasking, ish work well and quickly. Hands down, best phone I've ever owned.

Being used to hacking the ish outta all my devices, a pixi is a little disappointing in this field but then again, why try to fix something if it aint broken? There is nothing I can see myself really needing that other devices have, but there may be a few apps I would like to have, but still cant even think of any right now. Basically, Palm app store sucks, preware makes up HUGELY for this. It should be easier to change specific parts of the phones theme but the original is flawless. I would like to see more useful/free apps in the future, and ABSOLUTELY more GAMES . The device may seem a little slow at times but it is honestly no more than 1-2 seconds longer to do some things than say compared to an iphone but they are on par on so many points...and battery life...which I tried my best to explain earlier...

If I possibly missed anything that you are still questioning in ur head and want to ask me about my pixi, ask me and ill gladly respond. Thanks for listening
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast