Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Chud311- You typed exactly what I thought as I read the post. Nice reality check. I too was very disappointed with the calendar, coming from Datebook6, but these comments were exaggerated. Anyway, there are plenty using Classic and Datebook6 (There was a real giddy post very recently about it)

I sometimes grab my wifeīs Treo- the phone I missed at first also- and realize what a leap the Pre is and how much I now depend on ITīS functions. Itīs simply a matter of adjustment.

I wonder if his experience wouldīve been better if heīd just stayed with the Pre... if speed was the complaint, the Pixi was just going to be worse- itīs no secret that it has a slower processor. Hope seeing Preīs after 1.4 doesnīt make him regret it!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I had similar complaints about my BBerry storm. no wifi, email app sucked if you didn't have html email (BPS), no memory at all, no apps whatsoever. gps worked great though (compared to glitch with VZW Pre Plus).

I wrote the same email a month ago on the crackberry forums, and I'm very happy with the Pre Plus except for battery and lag sometimes opening apps, but if you came from where I did with the blackberry paltform, you'd see why i appreciate the palm OS so much right now.

RIM, i feel, is worse than Palm in screwing over their customers. They have a massive amount of different devices on many different carriers and it's confusing and ridiculous. but all have the same windows 3.11 crappy interface to it.

anyway, i hope the droid works out for you as the Pre+ did for me, and i surely hope i don't feel the same way you do about your pre.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Speed is a big issue that they need to address pretty sharpish. I'd like to see a huge focus on speed for the release of 2.0.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    Speed is a big issue that they need to address pretty sharpish. I'd like to see a huge focus on speed for the release of 2.0.
    Speed is less of an issue than people are making it out to be though. The device is quite usable. Clearly the difference is the time it takes to initialize and construct objects for interepreted (WebOS) apps. With compiled native apps under a thin WebOS skin, most of these issues are likely to go away (and that will happen without having to wait for WebOS 2.0).

Yes, it's still some time before we see the PDK available in a public beta, but shortly after that, I believe you will quickly see some Darwinism (and "cross pollination" of apps from other platforms) occurring in the app marketplace.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Good luck with your future endeavors.
    I'm slightly confused.....OP says "at least I got a new one", referring to his Pixi, and then talks about going into the Verizon store and having trouble sending his contacts off his broken screened Pixi...what gives???
    It would also seem that the OP is a power user and probably had WAY too many E-Mail messages on his phone because that has been a HUGE sticking point with the Pre and Pixi when it comes to speed of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsl5150 View Post
    I left Verizon for the Pre and couldn't be happier! Ya the Pre has some issues but it's not even a year old. My phone gets better after every update. Worst case add a few patches to help bring the Pre to life. Yes I agree we shouldn't need to patch our phones....but at least there are dedicated people out there creating them for us.

My old phone (storm1) was junk. Every update that was released fixed one thing and broke five more. At least with the webos updates they actually fix things.

I'm happy to be with Sprint & the Pre. Yes I've had issues too (dead screen & broken USB port). Thanks to Best Buy they replaced my phones both times for free. It only cost me a week w/o my phone. The BB insurance is well worth it. Ok I'm done rambling.

later
    I can't go a week without my phone. I couldn't go 2 days. I'm self employed, and it would cost me a lot of $. It seems like it's become the norm for companies releasing phones and using the buyers as beta testers. I didn't pay $400 for my Pre so I could be a beta tester! When I buy a new device (Pre), I expect it to be a step forward from the previous device (755).

D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Cya! Sorry it didn't work out. I personally can't stand Android and its half-baked feeling. Not really sure how the calendar is that bad for you though when the Android one is more or less the same thing.
    What do you mean "half-baked feeling"? The Android calendar loads quickly. And it's functional. That's all I care about. I don't need fancy. But waiting for it to load is crazy. It's a darn calendar. The original Palm Pilot could load the calendar faster than my 2009 Pixi!

D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    blame Sprint.

why is this a complaint? the screen didnt just break. something made it break and you had insurance and when you signed up for insurance you agreed to the terms of said insurance.

valid.

gross overexaggeration.

no you didnt. maybe 4 seconds tops on the calendar and the phone is easily half that.

no they arent, Adobe is.

no it doesnt.

said for dramatic effect.

the updates did what they claimed they would do.

the Pixi is slower for sure, but you can stop with the drama.

you should have checked out this site a bit more.

you lost everything since last June, yet somehow, someway, you were able to successfully transfer everything from the Pre to your two new Pixi's without a hitch. ok.

more dramatic effect.

i hope you register on Android forums with the same name so that i can look for you complaining on there. if you think that Android is some sort of nirvana type experience, youre in for a rude awakening.
    I actually wanted this thread to be dramatic. Maybe it'll get someone's attention over at Palm. The whole thing was meant to feel like a breakup letter (John Deer letter anyone. Dumb and Dumber reference. Eh, whatever). Guess I'm not as smart/funny as I thought.

I carried my 755 in that same pocket. I NEVER cracked the screen on it. Bought it a month after it was released. Had it until the day the Pre was released. Cracked the Pre screen 6 months in. Cracked the Pixi screen 2 months in. Look on the forums. There are A TON of threads from people with cracked screens. I can't remember seeing that in the 755 forums. Also, the device is WORTHLESS after you crack the screen. You can't tab to navigate around or anything. It's worthless. At least on a 755 you could have use the keypad/arrow keys to navigate.

Sprint changed the insurance a year or two ago. I didn't realize all that happened during that change. $7/month and a $100 deductible? That's virtually as much as the phone!

I would have to wait, LITERALLY, 10 seconds before the Calendar/Email/Phone apps would be ready to use FREQUENTLY. Not EVERY time, but at least 25% of the time. Believe me or not, I don't care. But that's the truth. 4 seconds would have been fine. The Pixi is slower than the Pre, and the Pre is slower than my 755! I think the thing Palm forgot with this phone is that the very first thing is functionality. I don't give a crap about Sprints Mobile TV or Nascar app when it takes 20 seconds to get the Calendar open and to 3 days from now.

When I broke my Pre and got my Pixi, I was able to get all my contacts out of my Palm Profile. When my Pixi broke, and I went to the verizon store to try to put all my contacts into one of their Demo Pixis, I got 36 contacts. Tried multiple times, called Palm. Nothing. They lost my contacts. So I had to revert back to my last Palm Desktop backup from the last day I used my 755, which was last June. Make sense now? I thought it did in my post, but I was crying pretty good when I wrote this letter. I'm surprised you didn't see the tears on the post.

Just kidding.

D.C.
    Last edited by DavemanUT; 02/08/2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    OP: How did your Pre break? What about the Pixi? I'm curious if you have any pictures you can post? The Pre screen has been pretty durable (at least for "normal" drops). I think your's is the first I've heard of a Pixi screen cracking.

You have to admit the 650 was an improvement and a damn good phone. You should have stuck with your 650. You had warnings enough warnings from us 700p users that you should have thought twice about not staying with the 650. That was the best phone that Palm ever made.

Are you saying the the Droid has calendar/PIM features on par with those in the PalmOS Treos?

This thread is useless without pictures." Just kidding! Thanks for your post.
    Pics are here

The Droid Calendar isn't perfect. I'd actually prefer the 755 calendar. That being said, it is WAY more usable than the Pre/Pixi calendar. When I click on it, it is open. The way it should be for a CALENDAR. Do I care if it takes the youtube app 10 seconds to load? Not at all. That is a luxury. Do I care if it takes the Calendar that long? Absolutely. That is part of what makes this a "smart" phone. I use my phone for work, and I need that info now.

D.C.
    DC,
    Everything you seem to be trying to convey with regards too lag seems to be related to too many messages in your email/text messaging accounts. The more messages in your folders, the laggier the phone becomes. I only know this because it happens to me. Then I go back and prune, and everything goes back to a happy place...the droid (as all android devices as well) will grow old within a few months. And you WILL inevitably experience lag sooner or later. I had 3 friends that went to the Droid, then backtracked after a month and went to the Pre...just my 2 cents, but good luck to ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    chud311,

It probably did take him 30 seconds to get to next Tuesday in the calendar, but that was due to the OP needing to do mental math to figure out how many days next Tuesday was from now, and not due to lag on the Pre.

I'm pretty sure he'll use the same username as they are shared across all the sites.

I'm waiting to hear more responses of people genuinely happy on the Droid. I hear far too many people who switch out of the Pre for the Droid and end up back here in a month. I fear the OP may find himself in the same boat (but be too embarrassed to come back). That will be sad for him to have to suffer, but he's been far too quiet over the years, so he had more latent hate he needed to express. Palm lost a customer for life. Hopefully they'll do more to create valuable customer experiences for the new customers who replace him.
    I have this username everywhere. If you see a "DavemanUT", it's me. If I'm unhappy with the Droid, I'll be happy to admit it. But I won't be back here. My fiance has a BB. While I'll admit it's capabilities are FAR LESS than any of the other "Smart Phones", it is functional. Her calendar loads instantly. Any app she has loads instantly.

I'm a good at math. Nice try though. Look, I know I'm not the only one. Look around. 1.3 helped the Calendar some for a bit. But it's still slow.

D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavemanUT View Post
    It seems like it's become the norm for companies releasing phones and using the buyers as beta testers. ...
    You're weakening your argument here. Palm clearly needed to do this to stay in business. You bought in, hook, line, and sinker!

If there are other companies doing the same thing, maybe you can mention a few?

I'm also an ex-palmos user. People who relied heavily on PalmOS PIM features and aftermarket programs (such as datebook6, Agendus, and LifeBalance) were forced to adapt to other methods. I've found GQueues.com to be pretty useful to replace some of this type of functionality. I'd love to see Palm integrate GQueues into Synergy and an improved PIM sometime in the near future. (My guess is we won't see anything until WebOS 2.0.)

I'd love for you to give us some updates regarding how the transition goes for you from PalmOS to Andriod. (Yeah, some people might ry to turn it into a p1ssing match, but your experience on your transition will likely have value to many ex PalmOS people.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I'm slightly confused.....OP says "at least I got a new one", referring to his Pixi, and then talks about going into the Verizon store and having trouble sending his contacts off his broken screened Pixi...what gives???
    Asurion sent me a brand new in the box pixi. It cost me $100. They didn't know I was going to Verizon. Now I have a brand new in the box Pixi to sell on eBay. I thought it was going to be a refurb. NIB is worth more!

D.C.
    Da, da, da, DRAMA!!!!

Most of the issues you discuss sound like a bad case of PBCK. I just checked the Cal app on my Pre with 5 cal. syncing it opened in 5 seconds. With several cards open it came up in 6 seconds. Day to day is under 1 second as is month to month. All that said, I only open my cal. from a closed state if I accidentally swipe it up; other than that I just leave the core apps open all the time.
    Last edited by deparson; 02/08/2010 at 09:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    DC,
    Everything you seem to be trying to convey with regards too lag seems to be related to too many messages in your email/text messaging accounts. The more messages in your folders, the laggier the phone becomes. I only know this because it happens to me. Then I go back and prune, and everything goes back to a happy place...the droid (as all android devices as well) will grow old within a few months. And you WILL inevitably experience lag sooner or later. I had 3 friends that went to the Droid, then backtracked after a month and went to the Pre...just my 2 cents, but good luck to ya.
    That may be true. Maybe I needed to delete them more. But if that is an issue, it's because of shoddy programming. An email I received last week shouldn't have any effect on my calendar. This is 2010. This isn't windows 3.1.

D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavemanUT View Post
    I'm a good at math. Nice try though. Look, I know I'm not the only one. Look around. 1.3 helped the Calendar some for a bit. But it's still slow.
    You are correct that it is slow, but I feel you are still exaggerating how slow this will be for average users. Your point is well taken. Maybe we can add value for others by giving some examples of things that cause it to be slow. I see the following as possible contributors:
    1. lots of appointments (especially recurring ones over a long period of time) can slow things down.
    2. sync'ing from multiple calendars would likely slow things down (but probably not as much as the first item above)
    3. The workflow in the calendar app just sucks. (My example of having to mentally figure out what date next Tuesday is is a case in point. Figuring out the 2nd Tuesday in next June is a lot harder.)
    DC,
    you do not seem to be the type of person that will be able to deal with Android's memory addressing solutions...give it a bit, then trry a Pre +
    If you need your calender often, why would you not just keep the card open?

If my Pre took me 30 seconds to do anything i wouldn't own it.

The issue is, it doesn't.the longest i've waited for a native app to open has prob. been 5 seconds. THe phone app pops up the fastest for me...seriously 1 second. But now i just keep the phone app, the email app, the messaging app and my twitter app open and speed isn't a concern anymore.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast