Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have a verizon pixi plus with 1.3.5 i can install apps and patches with webosinstall but it won't let me install themes...It wont even let me try to open or view them, it gives me some error...Has anyone been able to install a theme on a pixi with 1.3.5 without preware?
    is there an aversion to preware? nice to be able to delete and add apps and patches while not tied to the computer.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    No...I just have heard some weird things about preware and im new to this phone also wating for the new webOS...Just wondering if theres some little mistake im making or if this is a general problem for the pixi's and 1.3.5 and webquickinstall 3.1...
    I got the same problem it's when you click on Load Theme right? But I just used Preware to install themes.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The latest version of Quickinstall is 3.01. If that is the version you are using Themer is disabled. You can uninstall themes but not install. Jason is retooling Themer to use ipk versions of themes instead of zip versions - my guess to make it more compatible with Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfox27 View Post
    No...I just have heard some weird things about preware and im new to this phone also wating for the new webOS...Just wondering if theres some little mistake im making or if this is a general problem for the pixi's and 1.3.5 and webquickinstall 3.1...
    What weird things have you heard?

The development group behind Preware created the patching technology for webOS, and recently improved it to create Auto-Update Patch Technology (AUPT) which does not require you to remove patches before a webOS update.

We also created the packaging standards by which patches and themes are distributed.

We're also working with the theme submission sites to move themes under AUPT in the future too.

So I'm really interested what you've heard with respect to Preware and themes ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So I'm really interested what you've heard with respect to Preware and themes ...

-- Rod
    I have no idea what the OP has heard, but I had the following conversation last year:

[P1]: The only tool I know of that will correctly install or uninstall a theme is WebOSQuickInstall. However, it will only uninstall correctly, a theme that it installed in the first place.

[Me]: I've installed and uninstalled themes through Preware with no problem. Why do you say that WOSQI is the only tool that will correctly install a theme?

[P2]: Lately there have been a rash of people complaining about themes not getting removed completely and it always ens up being preware. Also I think there was some recent notice about this. A bug maybe in Preware, but I am not certain. I personally do not use Preware. I have only used QI.

[P1]: Because it reads the XML and does the entire XML of a theme. Preware and Prethemer read the XML, but ONLY process what they recognize in the theme, rather than the entire theme.

(From http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...ml#post2028231)
    Preware will uninstall a theme that Preware installs.

Preware probably won't uninstall a theme that WebOS Quick Install installs.

If you use the same tool to install and uninstall the theme, and don't install conflicting patches between those two events, then it will work.

I believe that themes installed by WebOS Quick Install can include patches, and those patches are not protected by AUPT (or even the previous patching technology employed by the webos-patches feed), so it is very possible that such patches in themes installed by that tool will silently conflict with real patches, and cause the theme to be unremovable.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    To be honest with you i don't really even know what preware is...Its an app that installs on the phone right? Does it do the same thing as webOSquickinstall just on the phone itself without a copmuter? Does it have the same patches and apps?
    Not trying to step on toes, but with both PreWare and WebOSqi (mine is not the newest version) installed properly, I can install with one and delete with the other (re apps and patches), but I have not tried themes. (Palm Pixi Sprint WebOS 3.5.1, QI 2.96, PreWare 0.9.19)

Moving on:
    There is no issue with using PreWare. PreWare is the preferred method for apps, patches, and themes for a reason. As you have NOTHING to fear from PreWare (PreWare is as safe as WebOSqi, if not safer because there is not factory reset ) and more than likely you will prefer it also.

When adding a "Theme" to your phone (in PreWare), you will have to remove the previous theme (if you have one installed). This is based on personal experience, but if you have a theme installed, and try to install another theme, you will get an error message (in PreWare). BUT if you uninstall the previous theme (in PreWare) THEN install the new theme (in PreWare), you you should have no issue.

PreWare also makes it easier to find the correct apps and patches for your needs. It allows you to search by apps, patches,etc, then subcategories and subcategories form there. You can also search everything at once, or select "all" (meaning all subcategories) at any point in the menu. There are over 1700 apps, 1000 themes, 200 patches, and some uncategorized items.

I can not see everything on QI, or if everything is here, I can not see it. I see less than 500 total items. I do not have themer galleries, or any other add ons for QI, only what is standard.

Install the Package mng and PreWare. You will be much happier. A lot less work, and it find everything for you. Quick (about 1 minute) updates, everything at your fingertips, easy to understand menus, and full information on each app/patch/theme (same on QI and PreWare)

To be honest with you i don't really even know what preware is...Its an app that installs on the phone right? Does it do the same thing as webOSquickinstall just on the phone itself without a copmuter? Does it have the same patches and apps?

Myke
    Last edited by Evil Llama; 02/07/2010 at 05:04 PM.
    I too have heard and experienced some "weird" things with Preware and themes. When installing themes that have patches involved (colors, etc.), Preware has a nasty habit of leaving those patch files behind when you uninstall the theme.
    A good rule of thumb, use Quick Install for manipulating your themes and use Preware for your patches.
    Another tip that could save you some heartache, whichever program you use to install a theme or patch, use the same program to remove it. ESPECIALLY themes. This will help insure that no straggler files get left behind, wreaking havoc on your next update.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    I too have heard and experienced some "weird" things with Preware and themes. When installing themes that have patches involved (colors, etc.), Preware has a nasty habit of leaving those patch files behind when you uninstall the theme.
    A good rule of thumb, use Quick Install for manipulating your themes and use Preware for your patches.
    Another tip that could save you some heartache, whichever program you use to install a theme or patch, use the same program to remove it. ESPECIALLY themes. This will help insure that no straggler files get left behind, wreaking havoc on your next update.
    To be very clear: Preware does not support patches in Themes, and patches are stripped from themes in the precentral-themes feed.

Until we're able to bring themes under the same AUPT technology as patches, patches should be done as real patches, and themes should then just have dependencies on those real patches. But we also need dependency support added to WOSQI for that to work.

The problems began when patches were incorporated in themes, but were not handled the same interoperable way as real patches, and therefore only some tools supported them.

The rule of thumb is: Either use WOSQI for all your theming, or use Preware for all your theming. Do not mix the two, because they are not interoperable for themes.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    OK so i have installed some patches and stuff using QuickInstall, should i remove them before installing preware? Will there be any conflict because i was using WebOSqi? Sorry im new to this phone and i already screwed it up once so i want to make sure oim doing things right. Can someone give me an exact directions on what i need to do to install preware? I'm sure theres a guide but i don't know where its at...I just don't want any conflicts.

Thanks for everyone help...
    OK so i have installed some patches and stuff using QuickInstall, should i remove them before installing preware? Will there be any conflict because i was using WebOSqi? Sorry im new to this phone and i already screwed it up once so i want to make sure oim doing things right. Can someone give me an exact directions on what i need to do to install preware? I'm sure theres a guide but i don't know where its at...I just don't want any conflicts.

Thanks for everyone help...
    The guide for preware is at http://install.preware.org/

Patches are compatible between Preware and WOSQI 3.01 or later.

Themes are not compatible.

Applications are compatible, but WOSQI will not automatically install package dependencies like Preware does.

You can install Preware at any time, and you do not need to ever remove it for any reason.

I personally recommend you full erase and doctor and then install Preware and then use it to do everything, and only ever have one theme installed through Preware (so that hidden patches in themes can't screw things up for you). Jason will probably recommend you do the same but with WOSQI. They are compatible for apps and patches, but not themes.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Cool I installed it and the themes work great...very cool stuff.

Thank You...Very Much Appreciated!!!

Quick Question...Does the AUPT come with Preware? Or is that something separate that you have to install?
    Cool I installed it and the themes work great...very cool stuff.

Thank You...Very Much Appreciated!!!

Quick Question...Does the AUPT come with Preware? Or is that something separate that you have to install?
    AUPT is built into the patches themselves.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    AUPT is built into the patches themselves.

-- Rod
    How does that work if there built into the patches? I thought i heard somewhere that there was a new program that keeps all your patches up to date...
    How does that work if there built into the patches? I thought i heard somewhere that there was a new program that keeps all your patches up to date...
    WebOS Internals (we also develop Preware) repackaged all existing patches in the webos-patches feed to incorporate AUPT.

Please read http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...e-roadmap.html for more details about the interplay between Preware, AUPT and the webos-patches feed.

There is also a separate thread about AUPT that you should read as well at http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...echnology.html

You then use Preware to update all the patches after a webOS update.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am having issues with WOSQI 3.01 myself. When i tap the "blue arrow" to download PreWare and Package Manager Service, nothing happens. I can play with the tweaks and everything else just fine but the "blue arrow" no longer goes to the pop-up screed to download the feeds! HELP!!!