Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just picked up the Palm Pixi today from Sprint to replace my Samsung Instinct and so far I'm underwhelmed. There are several things that I wonder if I can patch the Pixi to do or find an app for. These are:

1. Use Sprint visual voice mail - I'm spoiled. I don't like calling and wading through umpteen messages for the 1 I actually care about.

2. NOT put all my contacts in to one massive pile of fail. No I don't want all my e-mail contacts, AIM and FaceBook put in to a ginormous list. Yes I know I can link some of them but some Yahoo address are just there so things don't end up in my spam folder. I don't really contact these people.

3. Delete the Sprint apps I don't want. I have them hidden but they are still taking up space that could be put to better use.

4. When I receive a text I want to automatically be able to view it. As of now, it rings, i unlock it, then I have to tap the icon in the lower right corner to view it. Why can't I just unlock the screen and Voila! there it is. It rang, I answered why does it hide.

I'd love to hear from ya'll about any work a rounds or patches that might turn my frown upside down. As of right now this Pixi is a Lich.
    instead of whining about the pixi try searching the forums and reading up first. There is an app store. There is homebrew that opens up to more programs and patches to improve OS functionality.

try blaming yahoo instead of the pixi for your contact woes. It's something google got right that I initially complained about. Having only the contacts under 'My Contacts' transfer over to the Pixi. This way all the miscellaneous email adrs and such in there for delivery purposes won't transfer over. Complain to yahoo there or don't sync yahoo and copy your adr book to google and do the above.

And when you do get a text or email you do have a full bar at the bottom that spells out a lot of the message and tapping on it will bring you to the msg.

Try searching through the forums before creating a blah thread. There's a ton of info because there's a 99% chance you're compaints are far from unique.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    1. Talk to Sprint

2. Contacts are ridiculously easy to search, the size of the list shouldn't even be a concern, I don't even view my contact list since I got my Pre. From the home screen start typing the contacts name and they'll appear. If your contacts aren't merging automatically it's your fault. Synergy will work best if you manage your contacts on various services well. In my case, Synergy works excellently because my contacts are very well organised on each Synergy supported service.

You make a valid point about being able to choose which contacts sync. Although all of my contacts are valid, I'd like to see a "remove contact and do not sync in future" option on the phone. Not because I'd use it but because I can see it being valuable for others, like yourself.

3. Talk to Sprint.

4. I disagree with this if it works this way all the time. I don't want to be doing something else, receive a text and be forced to view it. However, if it worked only when the phone was inactive, that might be an option people would value. I'd prefer it remained consistent though.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    You know, everything you guys suggested I agree with, BUT could you do it pleasantly next time? If you can to the forum I am usually on, and YOU asked a newbie question, I would explain things to you in a general sense (like here , explain the "home brews", "quick install", and "preware") and maybe pop in a link for the newbie to follow.

Yes I am critiquing you if you were rude. If you are offended by this post, then you must be rude. Don't blame me, or come on her and complain about my post, it is your fault if you are offended. ;-) Now lighten up and let's have some fun!

Myke
  5.    #5  
    The first to answers were awfully harsh. Sorry to have bothered ya'll. I already have pre ware installed, I did that within 30 minutes of owning the phone and have installed multiple patches and apps. In my first post I even mention having the patches that hide the sprint apps. This isn't my first Palm phone. I also have looked around the forums for weeks before in picking up the Pixi and didn't see any mention of Sprints Visual Voice Mail which is available on the HTC Hero, Samsung phones and many others but not the Palms. That is disappointing to me. It may not be to you but to me it was a very helpful app when you have large amounts of voice mail. This is something even the iphone can do.

Instead of helping you attacked me like a bunch of Palm fan boys. Don't blame Palm it's all insert other company here. Thanks that was really productive.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    crogs571 was rude. I was direct. There's a difference.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Actually crogs571 was responding in kind to the tone set by the Tread starter which was quite harsh for a first post by a newbie. Usually newbies ask questions in a respectful manner when they first join this community. @ onduvalst, I also came from a Samsung phone and still miss certain features like voice dial for example. After 5 months however I wouldn't trade my Pre for any other phone on the market, I love it more every day. I find the notification system to be the best on any phone I've seen. I would recommend as mentioned above to scout the posts and ask questions in these forums. Also give yourself a little time to get used to your phone and find all the good features it has, not just the things it doesn't. WebOS is still young and the best is yet to come. Good luck with your Pixi.
    Last edited by vza33; 02/02/2010 at 05:14 PM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I'm cranky in the morning before my first diet coke. Sue me And personally I thought as a newbie you came off a bit whiney and trashing the Pixi along the way. Doesn't really lend itself to warm fuzzy responses especially if you can't put forth an effort to roam around a site with threads on just about everything you need to know or do a search about some of your concerns. Your title even says "I need some apps". Why not go to this section and poke around first? You head down to the homebrew section and there are stickied threads that will guide you to opening up your phone to all sorts of patches, beta apps, and updated apps that haven't yet made it into the official app store.

You had synergy questions and there's a section of the forums called webOS: Synergy & Synchronization.

Searching on Visual Voicemail brings up a ton of threads giving you the quick and sad realization (unfortunately) that built in visual voicemail via sprint does not exist on webOS. Which is kinda sad one of the top two new OS's doesn't have visual voicemail that's found even in a few dumbphones. It also brings up some workarounds that fortunately or unfortunately (depending how you look at it) involve google voice. An app like gDialPro will interface with google voice and give you some form of visual voicemail with an interesting and sometimes humerous text transcription via SMS (feature of google voice, not the app). There are purer forms of that program along with alternatives that just do visual voicemail if you don't really use google voice for other things. That can also be weeded out from that search above.

Smoke'm peace pipe now?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  9.    #9  
    Was my message harsh? It wasn't meant to be nor did I intend for it to be. I know that some things don't translate well over the internet but I am underwhelmed by the phone and there are things that I truly miss that I would like to know if they can be patched or fixed by any apps. My post was what it was.

I didn't come in here going OMGZ teh phone sucz hardcore I hatez it! Iz wantz it teh die! I guess I should liberally use lots of smileys next time.
    vza hit it on the head. webOS is 6 months old and a heckuva lot more capable than an Instinct. Still far from perfect, but it's polish and system give it really big upside especially if their gen2 hardware takes a nice leap forward from the Pixi which I think was a great 2nd effort for a 1st gen device.

and ondu...it's not smileys, it's just the way you wrote it. Don't sweat it, and hit up some of those links to get you going. Once you homebrew your Pixi, there are many many patches (which might become a stock part of the OS someday) that improve the general functionality of the OS. A lot of them seem like things that should already be a part of the OS. The absence of many of those things on top of the bad design of the Pre were things I couldn't stand when I tried to be an early adopter. Definitely think I jumped back in at a good time.
    Last edited by crogs571; 02/02/2010 at 05:10 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by onduvalst View Post
    I didn't come in here going OMGZ teh phone sucz hardcore I hatez it! Iz wantz it teh die! I guess I should liberally use lots of smileys next time.
    LMAO Good Smegol imitation....That was Smegol wasn't it? lol
    Last edited by vza33; 02/02/2010 at 05:34 PM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Point taken. I said IF because I do not know intent. I tried to be as "general" as I could. And it looks like another swath of great information has appeared!

I also questioned the Pixi when I first starting working with it. Once I found PreCentral and Preware, a whole new world was opened. My unsure feelings became assurance.

If one feels underwhelmed, I suggest they get Preware and personalize with the patches, apps, os tweeks, etc. With over 2k in things to download at the touch of a button, I am sure they will be singing praises with in weeks (I know I was. I LOVE this phone now. And this forum and it's members are awesome)

sorry if there are mistakes in this, I am writing while riding shot gun and the driver scares me.

Myke
    I use Youmail.com for visual voicemail (webos app is Youview) It's the one on App Catalog I couldn't get to work, nor could I get it to install from Preware. I was able to successfully install it from quickinstall.
  14.    #14  
    If you use youmail.com are you charged forwarding? It was Smegol lol
    nope. conditional call forwarding is free from sprint.
    OP should have registered and searched here BEFORE buying the phone.

Period.
  17.    #17  
    OP did stalk here before buying the phone and significant other has had a Pre since Oct. I just never asked him about voice mail and really didn't think about until the phone was in my hand. I was busy looking at failure rates and problems that were occurring not features. Durability is my first concern which is why I choose to own a candy bar instead of a slider.

By the way I installed the youview app. Total awesomesauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    OP should have registered and searched here BEFORE buying the phone.

Period.
    If it was only so easy. I found this site by accident. I was doing a websearch for a car part, and on page 2 was thos site. Once I was here, I bookmarked, made a user name, looked around for about a week or two, then forgot it existed. Then I was looking at new phones and remembered this site after I had bought the phone.

Most people have no idea this forum exists.
    some people on here forget that they are the exception and not the rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Llama View Post
    If it was only so easy. I found this site by accident. I was doing a websearch for a car part, and on page 2 was thos site. Once I was here, I bookmarked, made a user name, looked around for about a week or two, then forgot it existed. Then I was looking at new phones and remembered this site after I had bought the phone.

Most people have no idea this forum exists.
    it's the third listing when you Google "Palm Pre."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast