Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Make the Pixi just a little larger, use the same screen as the Pre and it is THE killer phone. The Treo for 2010 and beyond. I think that Palm made a big mistake with all that slider stuff. The Pixi's solid form factor and much easier to type keyboard totally rules. They should have made it with the same specs as the Pre. Why not? Would it rule the Pre too much?
    I agree with this 100%.
    Youre right im not a big fan of slider phones the pixi is way more functional and elegant I think if it were beefed up a little everybody would be buying them instead of pres
    I actually like how the Pre is... That's probably since I have never had a hardware issue though haha.
    i've posted here, on palm forums and left feedback w/Palm about the gen2 Pixi. I actually picked up the Pixi to test out for the boss, and liked it so much my Moment is now just a wifi device.

I'd love to see gen2 a cross between the current Pixi and the Treo Pro. Just a little wider so you could
    a) uncramp a touch, the nicest keyboard palm has made in a long time
    b) maximize the screen by pushing the ear speaker closer to the top and having less of a bezel. Even if the screen was slightly smaller than the Pre, the aspect ratio would be the same and programs would scale properly regardless of which device it's on. IMHO, outside of lack of wifi, that was the only major flaw in the Pixi.

you would definitely have room for a card slot then as well. Unless Palm just likes to lie about that and it's not truly for design purposes that fixed memory was used. That was at least the case with the Pre, and I'm sure they'd tick of a bunch if we were sporting 16gb removable memory Pixis. But for gen2 they should get back to their roots a bit. Removable storage, clickable trackpad center button, and physical send/end buttons.
  6.    #6  
    While I applaud your efforts, I don't know if they care and if you're too late. I just heard that Blackberry is coming out with a Bold + touchscreen. It is a fantastic combination. It may not be the iPhone killer but if it's out by June, then it surely is the Palm Pre/Pixi killer. If Palm finally gets its act together and puts out a 16GB Pixi with a 3MP camera, it's too little too late and Palm is playing the same late to market game like it did with the Treos except this time with less than 10% the market share they used to have. Disappointing. Apps are starting to trickle in but there is no way I'm paying $350 to break my contract end of year when Palm decides to put out a great phone with a great form factor. WebOS on a Nexus One sized Pixi would sell like... well... perhaps the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Well I do like the Pixi form factor more than the Pre, the Pre is nicer in the fact that you can use the phone as if it didn't have a keyboard. This way, they can make a smaller phone with a larger screen. Although the keyboard takes a hit because of this, some people like the small (not as small as the Pixi, I know, but its still small) form factor WITH the large screen. I think using a Pixi with larger screen in landscape with be uncomfortable but I guess it's up to Palm to make it.
    Too big.
    well the time is coming for gen2. The Pre has been out for 7 months. Depending how tight lipped Palm is, you'll probably start to see something trickle out about it's successor in the next couple months. The Pixi was a nice step forward, and hopefully they'll build off of the pros and cons of both phones.

Personally, I don't want something the size of the N1. Defeats the whole purpose of the Pixi. I enjoy not carrying around a brick anymore, and whatever comes out would have to be smaller than my Treo Pro at this point. I still have my Moment so I can keep track of Android as well. For some reason, I doubt we'll see an Android phone anywhere close to the design of the Pixi though. One can dream though.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I just switched from the Pre to the Pixi Plus. The Pixi Plus just feels a whole lot better and is more enjoyable to use. I have no regrets giving up the bigger screen and better camera for the Pixi to get a better keyboard, better form factor (no slider) and a more solid feeling device. I just wish that I didn't have to give up anything. A bigger Pixi would be absolutely perfect (assuming WebOS 1.4 meets performance expectations).
    Landscape would predominantly before for web browsing, movies, games and such. You'd still have to go vertical to type. Predominantly what you'd do with the Pre anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowkong View Post
    I think using a Pixi with larger screen in landscape with be uncomfortable but I guess it's up to Palm to make it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Just got my Pixi today. What a phone !! my last smart phone was a moto Q I sold my ipod touch this summer and never really used my music til today.My co-worker has a Pre which got me interested in palm.the web browser is really nice.Looking forward to learning more about the Pixi
    It will be tough for Palm to put the Pre's screen and a keyboard on one face, even if they shrink the screen. The phone would be ackwardly long.

I made a mockup of what I think the next webOS device will look like in the Future Devices section. Think Pixi in a more Treo Pro like size with all the internals from the Pre. The screen would be the same aspect ratio as the Pixi but with more pixels.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I saw the mock up & I want one
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    It will be tough for Palm to put the Pre's screen and a keyboard on one face, even if they shrink the screen. The phone would be ackwardly long.

I made a mockup of what I think the next webOS device will look like in the Future Devices section. Think Pixi in a more Treo Pro like size with all the internals from the Pre. The screen would be the same aspect ratio as the Pixi but with more pixels.
    I think a square or even landscape screen would be fine. It is interesting that the tried and true Blackberries have portrait screens. Ever notice that how much better it is to do web browsing in landscape mode on the Pre or iPhone -- unless you need to input text?

I think Palm is going to have to have at least two form factors. One needs to be something like the iPhone form factor with a big screen optimized for video and games -- and no physical keyboard. Palm tried to one up the iPhone form factor with the Pre, but in the process ended up up with a smaller screen and a physical keyboard that is not very good even in portrait mode and completely unusable in landscape mode. With the iPhone you at least get a usable virtual keyboard in landscape mode.

Palm also needs something along the lines of the Treos, Blackberry Bolds, Nokia E-71, etc --- optimized for messaging, calendar, contacts, etc. I think the Pixi and Pixi Plus a are good first attempt at this form factor. For those that value size above all the Pixi may be perfect form factor. I just think that there are others who will want something with a bigger screen and keyboard.

As people get more familiar with virtual keyboards I think the iPhone form factor will dominate along with the tried and true Treo form factor for those that gotta have a physical keyboard for serious text input or keyboard short-cuts.

I suppose a future Pre vertical slider form factor with a better physical keyboard could also work -- but there would need to be a virtual keyboard for landscape mode. Then you would have to go back and forth between a physical and virtual keyboard. Hmmm. A phone like that is either going to have to give up screen size to be compact or be bulkier to include a slider keyboard. The currently Pre compromises on both fronts with a smaller screen than the iPhone and a lot bulkier profile for the slider.
    I really want send/end hard keys. I think they could go on both sides of the gesture area, as the gestures really don't need but half of their current space. And they need a better way of moving the cursor in text, a dpad is perfect, but there is really no room for it.

They just need to keep the pixi the same thinness, make it a little wider, and give it a snapdragon and 16+gb storage. That shouldn't be too much to ask.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    I really want send/end hard keys. I think they could go on both sides of the gesture area, as the gestures really don't need but half of their current space. And they need a better way of moving the cursor in text, a dpad is perfect, but there is really no room for it.

They just need to keep the pixi the same thinness, make it a little wider, and give it a snapdragon and 16+gb storage. That shouldn't be too much to ask.
    I second this. This really could be the "Pro" phone. I played with one of the newer Blackberries with the optical trackpad. It would be nice if Palm could do something like that in the middle of the gesture area for cursor movement. That would give Palm a big advantage over the iPhone and other slabs.

Palm could also put programmable special function buttons on the sides. Maybe those could double as the phone buttons.

The other thing I wish they would do is allow you to bring up different launcher pages depending on whether you swipe up from the left, middle or right side. I keep my PIM type stuff on the left page, my camera and media stuff on the middle page and my utilities on the right page. When I swipe up today I'm not always sure which page is going to appear.

We are talking about near perfection here.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone60 View Post
    Just got my Pixi today. What a phone !! my last smart phone was a moto Q I sold my ipod touch this summer and never really used my music til today.My co-worker has a Pre which got me interested in palm.the web browser is really nice.Looking forward to learning more about the Pixi
    Congratulations on your new Pixi and welcome to the world of WebOS! I hope you enjoy your stay.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    has nothing to do with familiarity. It's a love hate thing. I personally hate them. Play with an iphone every so often. Owned a hero up until last week. Hated on screen with a passion. And again, you can't do it one handed, and you can't do it without looking. Hard keyboards are not going away anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    As people get more familiar with virtual keyboards I think the iPhone form factor will dominate along with the tried and true Treo form factor for those that gotta have a physical keyboard for serious text input or keyboard short-cuts.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I for one prefer the form factor of the Pre over the Pixi. It goes without saying that the quality of the build and materials needs a MAJOR upgrade, and if the Pre Plus is any indication, then I'm sure the nextgen device won't disappoint.

Size is a major issue for me; the majority of the time I'm on my Pre, I'm using it just via the touch screen. I don't have to slide it open much at all since I have my most frequently used cards already running. Hence, the Pre is more compact than the Pixi. And the beauty of it all is that if I need the keyboard, it's just a simple slide away.

If you're going to make the display bigger on the Pixi, then you're going to get a bigger Pixi (then the device and it's name would be an oxymoron). The Pre can still grow a little (let's say a 3.4 in display) and still be shorter than the Pixi. That's what I really want, a Pre with a 3.4 display, not too small, not to big. The increased screen size (with the same ratio) would make it slighter wider, hence a more comfortable keyboard and a larger battery.

I too would like to see a Treo Pro class device as a third device, a beefier Pixi if you will. But I'll stick with the Pre and Pre2 if it's a portrait slider.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast