Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Pre = A car that is slight too small for the average person but they can fit.
    Pixi = A car that is way too small for the average person but they can park really well and find those spaces.

Point: When it comes right down to it, if the phone isn't so easy to use, the fact that it's really sexy and does a few things awesomely well doesn't really matter much. People will choose the car that might look a little dated because 95% of the time they are driving, not parking.
    If the iphone was smaller and had a screen the size of a pre, it would still be just as big a success. People buy the iphone because its the iphone. Nothing wrong with that...it is what it is.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    If the iphone was smaller and had a screen the size of a pre, it would still be just as big a success. People buy the iphone because its the iphone. Nothing wrong with that...it is what it is.
    1) The iPhone became a success because it worked easily out of the box with minimal tinkering. It was bigger and less cool than it is now.

2) After something has acquired brand recognition, people may buy garbage just for the name. Right now the Pixi is nothing so it better master the basics, which it doesn't. The screen has got a non-standard resolution and won't use many of the few apps and the screen and keys themselves are just a little too small to really type comfortable. There was no need to make it even more difficult to type than the new Curve.

3) If the iPhone was really hard to use as a phone, I guarantee you that people would stop buying it. It's limited in what it does but for most people, it works well as a phone and great as a media player and decently for email and great for the web. If it was a little less cool looking people would still buy it.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    1) The iPhone became a success because it worked easily out of the box with minimal tinkering. It was bigger and less cool than it is now.

2) After something has acquired brand recognition, people may buy garbage just for the name. Right now the Pixi is nothing so it better master the basics, which it doesn't. The screen has got a non-standard resolution and won't use many of the few apps and the screen and keys themselves are just a little too small to really type comfortable. There was no need to make it even more difficult to type than the new Curve.
    1. The Pixi does exactly as it was intended to do. It was never supposed to be an iphone killer. Its supposed to be a super compact phone with basic smartphone functions that are easy to use. Where exactly does it fail?

2. Both the curve and pixi are easy to type on. The iphone is the one that is hard to type on.

Theres not point in going on and on about this. The iphone is a huge success. It accomplished exactly what it wanted to. The Pixi, while not a huge success, fills the market where it was intended to. The problem is that every time an interesting new phone comes out, the iphone ******* come out of the mist and start telling everybody why its not as good as an iphone.
  4.    #44  
    1. The Pixi does exactly as it was intended to do. It was never supposed to be an iphone killer. Its supposed to be a super compact phone with basic smartphone functions that are easy to use. Where exactly does it fail?
    It fails as an adequate Palm WebOS phone, that's where it fails.

- It can't use a good number of Pre apps due to the resolution issue
    - It won't be able to use Flash when browsing
    - Pixi users are very likely to think that what they get on the Pre should be available on the Pixi. You and I know the limitations. I'll bet 99% of Pixi buyers in the Verizon store will think the Pixi is just a smaller, cheaper version of the Pre with a little less storage.
    - When the next Pixi comes out, I'm willing to be it won't stick with this idiotic resolution and then the Pixi and Pixi plus will be mired as a one-off mistake.

The Pixi, while not a huge success, fills the market where it was intended to. The problem is that every time an interesting new phone comes out, the iphone ******* come out of the mist and start telling everybody why its not as good as an iphone.
    The Pixi isn't supposed to be an iPhone. Remember that Palm had to make a signfiicant investment in creating the Pixi. Everything from design, registrations, marketing, manufacutring, etc. I wonder what the numbers are for the Pixi and whether Palm is losing a great deal of money investing in a second form factor that isn't really a good differentiator from the first. As virtually all the articles point out online, if you're looking for a WebOS phone, unless you're enamored of the look and have limited needs, there is no point in not paying just $50 more to get the Pre.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    It fails as an adequate Palm WebOS phone, that's where it fails.

- It can't use a good number of Pre apps due to the resolution issue
    - It won't be able to use Flash when browsing
    - Pixi users are very likely to think that what they get on the Pre should be available on the Pixi. You and I know the limitations. I'll bet 99% of Pixi buyers in the Verizon store will think the Pixi is just a smaller, cheaper version of the Pre with a little less storage.
    - When the next Pixi comes out, I'm willing to be it won't stick with this idiotic resolution and then the Pixi and Pixi plus will be mired as a one-off mistake.

The Pixi isn't supposed to be an iPhone. Remember that Palm had to make a signfiicant investment in creating the Pixi. Everything from design, registrations, marketing, manufacutring, etc. I wonder what the numbers are for the Pixi and whether Palm is losing a great deal of money investing in a second form factor that isn't really a good differentiator from the first. As virtually all the articles point out online, if you're looking for a WebOS phone, unless you're enamored of the look and have limited needs, there is no point in not paying just $50 more to get the Pre.
    Pricing is not the issue for most of us. I would easily have paid $100 more than the Pre for a Pixi Pro size phone with the Pre specs. The problem is that the Pre is a slider with a pretty bad keyboard compared to the Pixi. I think sliders are one of those things that you either love or hate. Where I work I see absolutely zero slider phones. Everybody has either a Blackberry or iPhone -- maybe a few holdouts with older Treos. I think there is a clar demographic factor at play.

I made the switch from the Pre to the Pixi Plus and have absolutely no regrets. If the only two choices are the Pixi Plus and the Pre many us us will take the Pixi with it's deficiencies rather that go for the Pre with it's deficiencies. It is a matter of personal preference.
    Pixi form factor with the Pre's screen. You all have no idea how frustrated I was to see so much blank space on the Pixi that could have been used for a larger screen or bigger keys.... so I did a quick PShop job.

A quick comparison.

Last edited by dcoaster; 02/07/2010 at 09:20 AM.
    your chop is cleaner than mine (posted on prev page). I didn't smooth out the top corners of the screen to blend in, but I did shift the screen a little higher keeping the gesture area intact. Now if you could take the optical pad off of the Samsung Moment and embed it above the t & y keys, it'd be just about perfect.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123