Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i for one won't be sad if the Pixi name doesn't carry over to the next generation, in which case the phone could be slightly larger. It would only have to be large enough to fit a 16:9 screen. Will have a much easier time with apps from phone to phone (scaling or not) if everything can be designed around the same aspect ratio. Have already seen apps that don't scaled 100% on the Pixi.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    has nothing to do with familiarity. It's a love hate thing. I personally hate them. Play with an iphone every so often. Owned a hero up until last week. Hated on screen with a passion. And again, you can't do it one handed, and you can't do it without looking. Hard keyboards are not going away anytime soon.
    Maybe it is not so much familiarity as "pervasiveness." The iPhone is becoming very pervasive. As people see more and more of these slabs, many will simply get one because "everybody else has them." I work at a place where two years ago everybody was using Blackberries and Palm Treos. More than half of those folks have now moved to the iPhone.

I'm sure that many did not go to the iPhone for "a better keyboard." They went for the cooler interface, build quality and applications. They had to adjust to the virtual keyboard. Now that they are adjusted will they start yearning for a physical keyboard?

Including a physical keyboard requires too many compromises that many do not wish to make. Palm cannot afford to alienate those potential customers.
    would this have been too difficult? Sorry, no where to host a pic. Not the smoothest photoshop, but it makes the point about throwing a Pre similar screen on the Pixi.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Love all the posts here.

My 2 cents: Hope by the time Sprint gets the next gen Pixi, it will have a better battery/battery life, a 3MP+ Camera, WiFi, a Micro SD card slot, and dual (stereo) speakers (not the one that is fake on the current Pixi).

Also, Palm should bring back the infrared port and move the ringer switch back on top like it always has been.

What would be super cool: fingerprint ID technology. I read about it somewhere a few years back with some laptops.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    It will be tough for Palm to put the Pre's screen and a keyboard on one face, even if they shrink the screen. The phone would be ackwardly long.
    The Pixi could easily have been 5-10% longer to accommodate the standard screen and extra 80 pixels - easily. Cutting it short was ridiculous. It also could have been a tad wider and it wouldn't be any wider than another phone. They just wanted it to be really small and cute. Great mock up crogs571.

Palm made the Pre a hair too small for comfortable use too. It's a fairly common issue, not totally fatal in using the phone but makes it uncomfortable. It was apparent the moment I started using the Pre. Smaller is not better and a marginal difference in size could make a huge difference in comfort. Palm has to stop trying to "one up" the iPhone by making things smaller and compatible with iTunes. People will buy the product because it ISN'T an iPhone.

Creating a second resolution for app developers to develop is not happening for Palm. Needs to be one resolution and easiest as possible with lowest time investment.

Pixi name - good call. Some genius in Palm's marketing department said "make a phone for da ladies!!!!" Genius. From the same company that produced the Treo. The connection was obvious. The name itself appeals to one demographic.

Pre - Having two models isn't a problem provided they both have the same resolution. If you're going to make one, the Pixi is much less work, much less chance of mechanical problem and unique. The Pre should have been a virtual keyboard with bigger screen to accommodate a virtual keyboard.

Palm should have hired me when they had the chance.
    Last edited by iamsedated; 02/03/2010 at 09:21 AM.
    would this have been too difficult? Sorry, no where to host a pic. Not the smoothest photoshop, but it makes the point about throwing a Pre similar screen on the Pixi.
    That would be one hell of a phone right there, something you pick up on day one like the Pre was originally. Oh yeah the new phone can't have a screen bigger than 3 inches to give more room to possibly accomodate a bigger keyboard, while still keeping a small, light profile.
    Last edited by L-Boogie; 02/05/2010 at 08:36 AM.
    I don't know if the general consumer is looking for the big and wide phone. You get big and wide with screen sizes over 3.5 inches. I think that phones over 3.5 inches in screen size appeal more those tech geeks among us.

My suggestion for a next gen Pixi would be to have the screen size the same as the current Pre. The phone wouldn't be too long or too wide. The gen 2 Pre should not have a screen size over 3.5 in but bigger than its current screen size. Otherwise, it just becomes bulky and wide.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    There's already too many smartphones to choose from out there. Palm did the right thing, give the people something they haven't seen before and then provide the non-smartphone users with something they would enjoy. :-)
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan006 View Post
    There's already too many smartphones to choose from out there. Palm did the right thing, give the people something they haven't seen before and then provide the non-smartphone users with something they would enjoy. :-)
    You mean give a fraction of the people what they want. People that use a smartphone will be happy with anything that is a joy and easy to use comfortably. The Pixi could easily have been made the size of the iPhone. Even if it was a shade larger if needed, it would have been fine. But the Pixi is noticeably smaller than the iPhone and is a cutesy phone.

Given all the problems with the pre hardware and slider issues, one can only wonder how smart it was to make that hardware slider you have to slide open for almost everything you want to do. Can't really use a virtual keyboard either. The iPhone or Blackberry sized Pixi would be for people who wanted super quick access to respond to email and easy entry. A super winner.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    You mean give a fraction of the people what they want. People that use a smartphone will be happy with anything that is a joy and easy to use comfortably. The Pixi could easily have been made the size of the iPhone. Even if it was a shade larger if needed, it would have been fine. But the Pixi is noticeably smaller than the iPhone and is a cutesy phone.
    I disagree here. The iphone used to look like the alickest and newest thing out there. After dealing with the pixi, the iphone looks too big, clunky and dated already.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    I disagree here. The iphone used to look like the alickest and newest thing out there. After dealing with the pixi, the iphone looks too big, clunky and dated already.
    Which is why the Pixi is not selling like hotcakes and the big, clunky and outdated phone is selling in record numbers AND being outsold by another phone with a bigger screen and form factor.

If you want a cute little toy for the missus, great. But the idiots at Palm never replaced the Treo which is one of the all time best selling phones (and also a superior blackberry alternative... it HAS a market.)
    Does it really matter how the iphone is doing? Does it really matter how any other phone is doing? All the Pixi needs to do is be profitable and have enough numbers to justify it's existence and get them to have an improved version for round two (VZ is really round 1.5). Outside of BB, no one has really marketed the treo form factor. None of the winmob ones get any marketing. It's all the full screen models that get the hype. So I wouldn't expect the Pixi to be flying off the shelves. So far Sprint has it in one commercial, and I don't think they do it justice. Where it shines is in people's hands, and I think word of mouth sells this phone best. I was in a verizon store and the guy was frustratingly playing with the droid. Business guy, suit, topcoat and all. It's what the rep recommended for him. I just stuck my nose in saying you don't look like you're enjoying that phone. He said the keyboard sucked. Hated the slider. I showed him my Pixi, and he just started roaming around it like he knew it already. He saw the Sprint on it and said that he was on Verizon. I said you get a better version with wifi and walked him over to it. He was out the door with one in 10 minutes.

The market is undervalued because nobody sells it outside of BB. There was a time when everyone wanted their phone smaller and smaller. I can't imagine just because of a better browsing experience and the limited market that wants to game, that contingent is now gone. I'm one of them as are the six or seven other people I've already turned onto the Pixi in my whopping two plus weeks with it.
    Does it really matter how the iphone is doing? Does it really matter how any other phone is doing? All the Pixi needs to do is be profitable and have enough numbers to justify it's existence and get them to have an improved version for round two (VZ is really round 1.5).
    <snip>
    Bingo. This is the key, and this is where I think VZ comes in (and why I try to encourage and advocate for polite discourse with new users). If Pixi can meet the "black" easily, it is viable and (typically) should see new models in the near future.

Advertising is a big part of this, and so are we. We are walking billboards. The more "happy customers" give "word of mouth" praise to the Pixi, the better it will do. Any market annalist will tell you the "word of mouth" is the BEST type of advertising. Who do you believe more, your friends and family, or some bozo in the TV?

This forum is a great place to start making happy customers. Turning new Pixi users on to homebrewed apps, Preware, and helping them (even if it is something they could have learned by doing a quick search) are some of the best things we can do to help the growth and popularity of the Pixi.

The nicer we are, and the kind-er our responses to the new-comers (even if it something they SHOULD know) the better the chances they come back, learn more, and tell their friends about their GREAT NEW PHONE and the AWESOME RESOURCES they found here at PRECENTRAL!

Word of mouth is a VERY powerful tool. I have 5 friends who have moved to Pixi, 3 of them even changed service providers to use the Pixi.

Myke
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Which is why the Pixi is not selling like hotcakes and the big, clunky and outdated phone is selling in record numbers AND being outsold by another phone with a bigger screen and form factor.

If you want a cute little toy for the missus, great. But the idiots at Palm never replaced the Treo which is one of the all time best selling phones (and also a superior blackberry alternative... it HAS a market.)
    Could you please explain how your explanation should make me decide that it doesnt look big and dated? I figured that my opinion would be understood as an opinion .

But you do make a good point: The iphone sells more units so I should probably change my opinion and like it more .
    Here is my design. I take away the gesture area and replace it with a 0.5mm (width) x 0.25mm (height) sensor button. You could still swift backward or forward of this area to activate those functioning of webos program. Now we could use the gesture remaining area to enlarge the screen size
    Give me a bigger screen and be the first to add a little analog nub for gaming and ill be a happy camper!
    I just posed this question in the "pixi needs love thread", but if we change the screen size and processor, will the software from Pixi1 and the (user created) Pixi2 be interchangeable? Would it then make sense for Palm to kill off the Pixi to create this new Pixi/Pre hybrid? Would it make sense to create a 3rd webOS phone and leave the pixi as is?

The business owner in me is saying that much change to the Pixi can not be done on the phone without offering a discount trade in program to Pixi1 owners because... P1 and P2 would not be the same phone, P2 would be a new beast.

I would release a new phone for the P2 and keep the Pixi as a teaser to get people into webOS and pour money into app development for Pixi users to keep them happy. Hopefully then they would trade up when they see how much more they can have with the P2. If not, atleast they will be Palm users and hear about the better things they could have if they did trade up.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Pre = Porsche 911
    Pixi = Porsche Boxter

Technically, the 911 offers more features and costs more. Its the top of the line Porsche. The Boxster is smaller, cheaper, and has less techno wizardry...but a significant number of people who have driven both will tell you that the Boxster drives better.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    Pre = Porsche 911
    Pixi = Porsche Boxter

Technically, the 911 offers more features and costs more. Its the top of the line Porsche. The Boxster is smaller, cheaper, and has less techno wizardry...but a significant number of people who have driven both will tell you that the Boxster drives better.
    Pre = A car that is slight too small for the average person but they can fit.
    Pixi = A car that is way too small for the average person but they can park really well and find those spaces.

Point: When it comes right down to it, if the phone isn't so easy to use, the fact that it's really sexy and does a few things awesomely well doesn't really matter much. People will choose the car that might look a little dated because 95% of the time they are driving, not parking.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    As much as I wish that the Pixi was larger -- I get all these comments when people see how small it is. So, I guess it was more designed to look good than perform well. I also have to say that the Pixi Plus small screen and keyboard are less of an issue that I originally thought they would be. But, at the same time I think about how much better the phone would be if it were slightly larger.

They really should make version that is close to the size of the iPhone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast