Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I personally have a Pre, but I -LOVE- the Pixi, and now with the Pixi+ I have no idea why this device hasn't gotten more developer attention.

Thoughts?
    Old Kyocera Phone (pay as you go) > Motorola RAZR > Palm Centro > Palm Pre
    Yeah, Pixi is the "*******" out of the two, and we get the short end of the stick.

Others will come in here and start tossing around hardware differences and what not, but it's essentially the same phone, just different form factor.

But you can bet your bottom dollar when Sprint get's the speculated "Pre2" that once again, everyone will flock back to that, and give THAT a ton of support. It's just the way people work. Pointless and ********.

BRB, I need to go kick a dog now.
    yeah the pixi is great its so small and fits in your pocket well, i really hope it catches on more id much rather buy a pixi then a pre. I looked at both the pre and pixi side by side and i felt like the pre was really big and clunky plus you have to slide it open to get to keyboard anyways i really hope they keep the form factor and beef it up to run just like the pre hopefully more people will buy it and get the ball rolling
    it all comes down to how many of each device are being used. If a dev is going to develop for WebOS, they are going to devellope for the more popular device. Also, yes, I am a Pre owner.
    Pixi Love
    Hated the Pre, love the Pixi. Was so disappointed after following all the pre launch hype. When I got it in my hands I just hated it. The curved slider killed the keyboard with the recess. The keyboard itself stunk. And the build quality, fit and finish of the Pre left a lot to be desired. That on top of the lack of PIM functionality made it a no brainer to return it. Went Android and dealt with a similar lack of PIM functionality but the Moment was so much nicer. Traded my Hero (owned both Android phones) for the Pixi the other day to test it out for my boss and deemed it a keeper after a day. Relegating my Moment to a wifi device so I can see how Android progresses.

The build is solid. The keyboard is great even with the keys so close together. The raised harder plastic keys with the nice click and travel just work really well. The hard rubber back is nice. Overall size is great. I would actually like to see one a little wider, say a tweener between the Pixi and Treo Pro. Move the ear speaker higher and maximize the screen real estate. If they added a card slot it would then be perfect.

I'll take the treo form factor any day over a bulkier slider even if I have to sacrifice some screen for it. Don't care about 3-d games. I don't believe I miss flash, but... Just hope the Pixi line is enough of a hit to get a sweeter 2nd gen.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Its my personal speculation here, but I bet Verizon sells more of the Pixi Plus than that of the Pre Plus. Between the keyboard and the form factor, I think it will apeal to more people.
    Quote Originally Posted by crewcabrob View Post
    Its my personal speculation here, but I bet Verizon sells more of the Pixi Plus than that of the Pre Plus. Between the keyboard and the form factor, I think it will apeal to more people.
    I totally agree with you. The Pixi will see it's love after lots of people buy the Pixi Plus on Verizon. No need to worry about lack of love ... sometimes love just takes a little time to get started!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    The Pixi is a really nice phone but does need more power as it is not as fast as the Pre.

I can tell a big difference between performance between the Pre and Pixi, but that does not mean the Pixi is not a great phone in its self.
    the gap might be closed a bit with 1.4 when the separate gpu gets opened up, from what I've read.

The Pixi could really catch on. Leaving BB's aside, it has more functionality than other qwerty candybar phones with a nice screen, good keyboard and the upside of a slick touchscreen OS. So you get the combo of people clinging to PalmOS or even winMob in that form factor (Q, Q9, Treo Pro) along with the dumbphone crowd ready to graduate.
    Last edited by crogs571; 01/31/2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    It blows me away that Palm and other refer to the Pre as the flagship product. Yeah. I know about the specs. First, the lack of WIFI on the Sprint model was a non-starter for me. Why did they cripple the Pixi on Sprint? But then I heard the Palm executives at CES refer to the Pixi Plus as the perfect "first smart phone."

Yesterday. I made the switch from the Pre to the Pixi Plus after about 6 months with the Pre. The Pixi Plus is a simply a much more refined phone in my mind. It is has cleaner lines and just feels higher quality than the Pre. It is a pleasure to use with WebOS. With the much better keyboard always available I was inspired to set up keyboard shortcuts for all my contacts. The Pixi is supposed to be slower than the Pre, but I have to say that I did not notice the difference.

Now, back to the Pre. First, I'm not a big fan of sliders and partially blame that on not growing up with transformers as a kid. For me the longer I used the Pre the more irritated I got with having to open to phone to access the keyboard. I was using the Pre in portrait mode when browsing and there was just no comfortable way to hold the open, sharp edges of the Pre. The thing moved around on the slider. Just not a high quality experience. And then the keyboard... I knew when I got the Pre that the keyboard would take some adjustment. The thing I didn't know is that 6 months later I still couldn't figure out how to type on it.

As much as I loved WebOS I realized that I could not longer use the Pre. I started seriously looking at other phones. I really missed the form factors of my Treos and was immediately attracted to the Blackberry Tour 2 that will soon be released. I went into the Verizon store and took the current Tour and Curve for a test drive. I really hoped that the Blackberry GUI wasn't as bad as it's reputation. Unfortunately, as much as I loved the Blackberry hardware there was not way I was going to be able to downgrade to that OS after 6 months of using WebOS.

I was back looking at Palm devices and really hadn't considered the "entry level" Pixi seriously. However, I was getting desperate, so I decided to play with the Pixi. It was easy to tell right away that the keyboard was much better. I was reluctant to move to a smaller display, but that part worked out better than I expected.

I really do hope that Palm comes up with a Pixi Pro that has a keyboard and display about 20 bigger than the currently mode, but I will hold up fine for now with my little Pixi Plus.
    For all that like the Pixi and would like to see some improvements in gen2, send Palm some feedback on what you'd like to see in the 2nd gen Pixi. Maybe they'll get enough feedback and listen a bit.

My feedback was...
    Love the Pixi compared to the Pre for size and form factor, but I'd love to see it somewhere between the Treo Pro and its current form. You make it a little wider, move the ear speaker higher up and maximize the screen with less bezel. Add a clickable optical pad in the center so you can navigate through text and select text easier as well as add to the one handedness for simple navigation. I've used a samsung moment for awhile and love the 4 directional keys as a secondary form of nav. You can spread out taht nice raised clicky keyboard a touch so it's more comfy. Then throw in hard send/end buttons and you'd have a real winner. Despite the fascination of touch, somethings are just nicer when you can actually press a physical key.

And no offense, but I hate the Apple influence that has been brought to Palm when it comes to hardware design as noted above. I guess it's a pipe dream, but bringing back the removable storage would be huge as well. A majority of the smartphones as well as the media oriented dumbphones have removable storage. I can see the competition heating up as Android progresses and newer phone designs are brought out. They have some nice hardware with more manufacturers cranking out phones. But it is tough to beat the candybar/thumb board combo for simple one handed operation though, and no Android phone is going in that direction. In fact no major smartphone is going in that direction. Palm could have a major and unique winner on its hands and not just as an "intro level" smartphone. Many experienced smartphone users simply prefer the Pixi form factor, and in generation one they are willing to accept the lower level of specs for the form factor they prefer. There is no reason for it to play second fiddle to the Pre.
    Being a previous Treo owner, I think the pixi is a great smartphone. I'm sure developer will jump on board and make the pixi "take off" to heights it's never seen before.
    I love my Pixi. I was there for the Pre launch and after 3 of them decided to wait for the Pixi. Glad I did.
    With major decisions from Palm to withhold 3D games and Flash, I dont think the Pixi will be the platform of choice for most people. If the appeal of webOS is going to be multitasking, Flash, and 3D games, then people will come in looking for those features, only to be disappointed by the Pixi. Having them next to each other with a measly $50 (at most) difference will push those who are trying to decide to go with the bigger screen and more capabilities. But that is if the sales person knows what he/she is talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    With major decisions from Palm to withhold 3D games and Flash, I dont think the Pixi will be the platform of choice for most people. If the appeal of webOS is going to be multitasking, Flash, and 3D games, then people will come in looking for those features, only to be disappointed by the Pixi. Having them next to each other with a measly $50 (at most) difference will push those who are trying to decide to go with the bigger screen and more capabilities. But that is if the sales person knows what he/she is talking about.
    It's a measley $50 more for an uncomfortable keyboard, possible oreo problems, and worse battery time. But your right about the 3D games.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    It's a measley $50 more for an uncomfortable keyboard, possible oreo problems, and worse battery time. But your right about the 3D games.
    And Flash.

The sales person probably wont mention hardware issues unless the customer inquires.

And the keyboard is merely a matter of opinion. I have the biggest hands on this forum and the Pre keyboard is sufficient. The Pixi's is too small, although more satisfying if you like the clicky feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    And Flash.

The sales person probably wont mention hardware issues unless the customer inquires.

And the keyboard is merely a matter of opinion. I have the biggest hands on this forum and the Pre keyboard is sufficient. The Pixi's is too small, although more satisfying if you like the clicky feel.
    I agree. Anyone getting the pixi shouldn't be concerned about getting 3d games, but just texting and getting updates on their emails (and making phone calls of course).
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    It's interesting, I broke my Storm 2 last week, so I aquired a new Pre off Ebay. I tried it for 3 days and could not get used to that keyboard. If they used the same clickiness of the Pixi on the Pre....it would had made it SO much better of an experience.

So I got another Storm 2 back from my Insurance, and as much as I like it, I am really wanting to be on WebOS. I went into the Verizon store last night and played a bit with the Pixi, and I am wanting to give it a try. I opened a lot of cards while messing with it, and noticed the slowdown after 7 or 8 cards were open. I usually only keep 3 or 4 open so I am thinking speed won't be a problem. I have large fingers as well....and I was able to get used to typing on the Pixi keyboard SO much faster than the Pre after the 3 days.

While it's definitely confirmed that 3D gaming is not going to the Pixi, One thing I have been seeing mixed messages on however is the Flash. From looking around, some are saying Flash will be released with both devices, others saying just the Pre
    Bling your Pixi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast