Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    that'd be like watching letterbox movies on a 4:3 tube tv. You'd have even a smaller pic yet.
    Yes, exactly my point with the screensize and letterbox viewing, (I meant to alude to the viewing aspect and size. I am sorry I was not clear) but would it,or could it help? Maybe as a patch for Pixi under Screen and Lock? A "letterbox toggle"? But would it help?

I am just trying to think of anything that will be helpful to Pixi users and developers. If this was a patch for Pixi, would it make it easier for the developers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Llama View Post
    Yes, exactly my point with the screensize and letterbox viewing, (I meant to alude to the viewing aspect and size. I am sorry I was not clear) but would it,or could it help? Maybe as a patch for Pixi under Screen and Lock? A "letterbox toggle"? But would it help?

I am just trying to think of anything that will be helpful to Pixi users and developers. If this was a patch for Pixi, would it make it easier for the developers?
    Unfortunately, no. The other thing that makes it easy for developers to port iphone games to the Pre is the processor. The Pre and Iphone have very similar internals. The Pixi has a different CPU and GPU which, along with screen resolution, make bringing the 3D games to the Pixi alot more difficult. The developers won't even have the Pixi PDK until March.

Also, if a developer is going to make or port a game to WebOS, they are obviously going to do it for the Pre instead of the Pixi.

On a side note, Palm will never upgrade the Pixi to the same CPU and screen resolution to the Pre standards. They seem to want a clear difference between the two, and that is already obvious with the Pixi's lack of support for 3D games and possibly Flash.

Maybe someday after the Pre2 comes out, the Pixi will get better internals. That won't be for quite some time though.
    Good post Garrett. Palm's decision will kill the Pixi very quickly if this is true and I don't doubt it will be. Palm thought it was genius to have a lower and higher entry point. What is absolutely mind numbing is that they thought $50 would make a difference, especially at this price level. If anything, they should have made them both as powerful with two form factors - you choose the one you want. I still think that was a waste of money too in manufacturing two phones.

This is why I stand by my original statement. Palm should have not skimped on the Pre - that SHOULD have been the obvious plan. Put out the 32GB version with better hardware build quality. Sell it for 199 or even 249 and have the Pixi sell for 99. Another thing Palm has done in the past (like Blackberry) is to try to milk as many models as possible off the same crappy hardware specs with modest improvements. Look at what happened. Both companies plummeted in market share and the difference is that Palm has almost no chance of getting back in the game without some niche - at least the Blackberry is a business device for email and communications.

If it wasn't for the above, i would have made a real investment in the Pixi. Right now, I decided to tell Ma not to get one and am waiting to see if Palm has a response. If they don't get their act in gear by April, I fear that Palm is going to be bought and dissembled for their parts and made into something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    <snip>
    Maybe someday after the Pre2 comes out, the Pixi will get better internals. That won't be for quite some time though.
    This is something I have heard before (on other forums) and tells me exactly there the Pixi will be in pecking order. In short, such a notion alludes to the Pre being the Top Dog even if it means to purposely keep the other pups down. (easy examples... think GM and the Vette or Dodge and the Viper... Ford and the Mustang... Flagships/Top Dogs)

Without speculating, the Pixi is #2, so without "homebrew love," 3rd party development, and a little help from Palm (schems, structures, and such), The Pixi will have the exact gap that Palm feels it should have.

I think it might be accurate to say that until one of the aftermarket developers decide it will be fun to see how far they can push a Pixi, Pre will be the phone that sees most of the attention.

This does not mean the Pixi is not a great (or capable) phone. For a smart phone, this thing is actually pretty good. (IMHO as a prior BB and Iphone user)

Myke

Edit:

Originally Posted by iamsedated
    Good post Garrett. Palm's decision will kill the Pixi very quickly if this is true and I don't doubt it will be. Palm thought it was genius to have a lower and higher entry point. What is absolutely mind numbing is that they thought $50 would make a difference, especially at this price level. If anything, they should have made them both as powerful with two form factors - you choose the one you want. I still think that was a waste of money too in manufacturing two phones.
    Not that I disagree, but this could be a jump off point for them. Honestly, if a person is brought in on the Pixi, they ARE more likely to make the jump UP to the Pre at a later date (so long as the form factor is not a major issue) Maybe a 3rd phone.... a Pre and a PreX (slider and non styles) with the teaser Pixi.

Just thinking... and it sort of makes sense.
    Last edited by Evil Llama; 02/07/2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Missed a Post
    i love the pixi cuz of its size and form factor i hated the helio ocean i had before slider caused problems
    Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    i love the pixi cuz of its size and form factor i hated the helio ocean i had before slider caused problems
    I used to have a Helio Ocean and I loved it. It was an amazing phone at the time. Such a shame that Helio was lazy with releasing new devices since it seemed to kill the company pretty quick. If they had kept up with other carriers, I'm sure they would still be going strong today.
    Well I jumped onto the Pre back in May last year when it was 1st released, kept it for 30 days, then reluctantly gave it back to Sprint. It ws an awful tease. totally loved the UI etc, but the build quality back then ultimately sank it for me. The signal kept dropping out during calls or web surfing despite me being stationary in excellent coverage areas. It was supremely frustrating to say the least. Had to return it and settle for an outdated BB curve, which has its own shortcomings and problems but functions flawlessly as a phone and messaging device. Well, my wife just upgraded to a Pixi and I am once again drawn to the WebOS platform and serious Gadget-Envy. Have to wait another year for my upgrade. Anyway, I am blown away by the build quality of the Pixi as compared to those early version Pre's last year. Awesome! I've seen people complain about some Pixi problems, but as of the first week, I can honestly say, I dont know what they are talking about. The phone has been trouble free. I upgraded to 1.4 immediately, and downloaded her some apps that she found helpful. And the APP store by the way is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the 1st 30 days last year! WOW! After 30 days last year, I think there were something like 20 APPS available TOTAL!!!
    My wife loves it, I envy it, and hope Palm has the staying power to last another year and produce even better phones for my available upgrade.

Awesome Phone, and IMHO wildly underrated.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123