Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I currently use an HTC Ozone on Verizon. I love the keyboard. I would like to see Palm create a new device with similar dimensions and keyboard. Of course they should use all the wasted space at the top for the screen and use the navigation button area for gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by justapps View Post
    I currently use an HTC Ozone on Verizon. I love the keyboard. I would like to see Palm create a new device with similar dimensions and keyboard. Of course they should use all the wasted space at the top for the screen and use the navigation button area for gestures.
    Interesting that you said this. I was just wondering about this "top area" on my pixi. If you look to the top left corner of the screen (at just the right angle), there are two circles, side by side, the left circle about half the size of the one to it's right.

I have looked at the manuals, searched here, looked online, and I have NO clue what those circles are. Anyone else figure it out? (I am sure someone knows and I just missed the info in my haste)
    proximity sensor and ambient light sensor I believe.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I honestly wished they wouldve kept the same CPU on the Pixi as the Pre. I think they could ask more (maybe $25) than what they are selling it and it be that much more useful.

With that being said, there is definitely still a market for the Pixi as is. It will just mire the webOS name a bit with no 3D games and no Flash (if that is true).
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I honestly wished they wouldve kept the same CPU on the Pixi as the Pre. I think they could ask more (maybe $25) than what they are selling it and it be that much more useful.

With that being said, there is definitely still a market for the Pixi as is. It will just mire the webOS name a bit with no 3D games and no Flash (if that is true).
    The idiotic decision to circumcise the screen to a bizarre resolution was the nail in the Pixi's coffin. It's hard enough to get developers to code for the Pre...
    What is so odd about the resolution of the Pixi screen? (curiosity)

From what I have been reading, the belief is that the screen size, processor, and the file system are the 3 "major" reason the Pixi is #2 to the Pre. Is this a correct assumption?

Myke
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I agree. Who makes these decisions at these companies? I would at least copy the best features of the competition. Make it the same size as a Blackberry. Maybe that would improve the battery life too while giving it an adequate screen/keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by justapps View Post
    I agree. Who makes these decisions at these companies? I would at least copy the best features of the competition. Make it the same size as a Blackberry. Maybe that would improve the battery life too while giving it an adequate screen/keyboard.
    hmmm... I always thought my BB (1st incantation) was too big and difficult to manipulate. I was not very impressed with the BB's when I was playing with them in store last month either.

Honestly, the first reason I have never gone back to the BB is it's size, second was comfort... Maybe it is my hand size. I have nimble thin fingers/thumbs, but I have HUGE paws (palm pads. my pixi is smaller than my palm pad).

Myke
    It's missing about 80 pixels in the vertical direction to have the same aspect ratio as the Pre and most other widescreen phones. It's more of a standard to have a 480 pixel widescreen these days and programs are written around that res. Scaling doesn't always make the perfect adjustment either. Thus some things that are designed around the Pre don't look right on the Pixi, like the bottom got cut off. Bit of a pain.

The processor isn't bad. It's actually pretty good and used on Motorola's new Android phone. It's just that it's different than the Pre and the iphone so porting apps over is more difficult.

Not sure about the file system one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Llama View Post
    What is so odd about the resolution of the Pixi screen? (curiosity)

From what I have been reading, the belief is that the screen size, processor, and the file system are the 3 "major" reason the Pixi is #2 to the Pre. Is this a correct assumption?

Myke
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I have seen the "cut off screen" and that is made worse by notifications at the bottom. Now I understand the issue.

So basically, if we were making the Pixi 2, if the screen was the same as the Pre, and the processor was also the same, the Pixi would be more viable going forward?

In this case, creating a "pixi 2" might make this version obsolete. This also explains the previous comment about **not care(ing) if the Pixi name was carried into the next version**

hmm... Would it be a good idea to make such changes to the Pixi, or would it make sense (if palm made those changes) to ax the Pixi name and create a new name plate? (or just make a 3rd phone)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Llama View Post
    So basically, if we were making the Pixi 2, if the screen was the same as the Pre, and the processor was also the same, the Pixi would be more viable going forward?
    Yes but it's not the size it's the resolution. Let's say the standard resolution of an old monitor is 640 x 480 - that gives you a 320 x 240 screen if you scale it in half (same proportions) which is why those were standard. 320 x 480 also gives you some matching numbers as you can see above. Now that 320 x 480 screen are dots you see which can be made into a larger screen (like the iPhone) or a little smaller (like on the Pre.) So you can see the same amount of data but the image is just larger or smaller.

The problem with the pre is that the lines of resolution is NOT the same. As I said in another thread, the idiots at Palm figured that people would rather have a sexy Porsche than one that actually worked properly. Had Palm made the phone just a TAD less sexy and more functional, people wouldn't be screaming about how applications just don't work properly or aren't available on the Pixi. Who cares about a hot sexy car if it can't be driven properly? So Palm made the resolution 320 x 400 instead of making the sexy car a little less sexy and adding those extra 80 pixels so that you can see the same thing on your screen as every pre owner does.

I LOVE the Pixi but crippling it was really dumb.
    I am sorry, I used the wrong term, but I am glad that I did. I understood the basics, but now, thanks to sedated and crogs, I can fully see the issues created by the resolution of the pixi.

Can a Pixi 2 be created with the Pre processor and resolution and still be compatible with the P1? The reason I ask (and I may be chicken little here) is the pixi plus (1.5) and the Pixi are basically able to use the same software. But internally they are near twins.

To alter the Pixi as we are discussing, would the Pixi still be a Pixi? Or would the Pixi be more like a Pre? I know the different resolution shouldn't be too big a deal (we see the effects of that now) but to ater the guts, would it render gen 1 Pixi obsolete?

EDIT: speaking as if we held on to our Pixi 1 for (hypothetically, not realistically) a year or two after the P2 (hypothetically) came out.
    it wouldn't be obsolete. scaling is a plus with webOS, but it can only do so much as some of us have already seen with some programs not formatting well. Some scale perfectly to the res of the Pre and Pixi. Maybe it's more so up to the developers, and while I'm not one, I can't imagine how hard it would be to keep them both going.

and it's funny, palm for some reason has always had a fascination with big bezels. They have never, ever maximized the screen real estate of a phone.
    Last edited by crogs571; 02/06/2010 at 12:44 AM.
    What they need to do is create two of the same phone, different form factors. Honestly, I think the design of the Pre is worse off than the design of the Pixi. Pre would be great if they just got the size down correctly. They tried so hard to keep that river stone look, they sacrificed keyboard size, screen size, and build quality of the slider, all to keep that sexy look.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    With major decisions from Palm to withhold 3D games and Flash, I dont think the Pixi will be the platform of choice for most people. If the appeal of webOS is going to be multitasking, Flash, and 3D games, then people will come in looking for those features, only to be disappointed by the Pixi. Having them next to each other with a measly $50 (at most) difference will push those who are trying to decide to go with the bigger screen and more capabilities. But that is if the sales person knows what he/she is talking about.
    I see people writing about the Pixi not supporting Flash, but haven't seen any from Palm that says that Flash is not supported on the Pixi. I know the the beta is only supported on the Pre, but where did Palm say that the Pixi will never support Flash?
    i loved the pixi, great device, much better than the pre "design wise" IMO. but since there will be no flash and the device is ignored i left it and bought a htc hero.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I LOVE the palm pre form factor, I think it's genius. The few problems are is it will always get the short end of the stick. It wasnt as obvious when it came out, but now, it doesn't have all the 3d games that have come out, it's not getting flash, and my fear is the list of differences will only get larger.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I see people writing about the Pixi not supporting Flash, but haven't seen any from Palm that says that Flash is not supported on the Pixi. I know the the beta is only supported on the Pre, but where did Palm say that the Pixi will never support Flash?
    Yeah and that is what confuses me too. I mean it surely does say Pre, but doesn't confirm or deny support for Pixi
    Let me be honest and state uofront, I do not program much beyond the daily used electronics, so I have NO idea if this would work.

can a patch (or maybe an as needed app) be created for the Pixi to "remove" pixels from the right or left (or both) sides of the screen to allow (a much scalled) proper ratio. Would this help, or would this be pointless?

just curious and brainstorming now.

Myke
    that'd be like watching letterbox movies on a 4:3 tube tv. You'd have even a smaller pic yet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast