Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I am considering the switch, but want to make sure that I will not miss anything that I take for granted with the Pre. For people that have made the switch what did you like the most -- and are there things that you miss?

I do understand that I will get a smaller screen and wimpier camera. The smaller screen concerns me a bit. How id that working for others?

The local Best Buys are getting this in and I just want to make one last sanity check before I port over to Verizon.
    When I went to the Sprint store and played around with the Pixi for a while the screen didn't seem much of a problem as it might be. Allot of this is because of WebOS's awesome adaptive abilities. It is a new experience than the Pre but isn't a negative. I guess if you get used to it after a day or two you would fall in love.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Also consider that 3D gaming and now Flash are coming first to the Pre's, and possibly not even coming to the pixis, although I highly doubt they won't.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpepper View Post
    Also consider that 3D gaming and now Flash are coming first to the Pre's, and possibly not even coming to the pixis, although I highly doubt they won't.
    I personally have no interest in playing games on my phone, Curious though. Are you saying that the Pixi will not be able to do 3D games at all?

You bring up a good point about Flash. I have read anything from Palm that indicates that it would not be on the Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I personally have no interest in playing games on my phone, Curious though. Are you saying that the Pixi will not be able to do 3D games at all?

You bring up a good point about Flash. I have read anything from Palm that indicates that it would not be on the Pixi.
    The problem is that 3D games that are made for the Pre will not work on the Pixi. Since the Pre is Palm's flagship device, most developers will make games for it first and will then have to rework them for the Pixi. I don't doubt that the Pixi will get 3D games in the future, but there will be alot more for the Pre.
    Correct, the Pixi and Pixi+ will not be getting the 3D games. It doesn't even show in the app catalog for us.

Although with enough encouragement Palm might make the next Pixi (rumored for Sprint/AT&T) to be capable of it because of the demand.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The problem is that 3D games that are made for the Pre will not work on the Pixi. Since the Pre is Palm's flagship device, most developers will make games for it first and will then have to rework them for the Pixi. I don't doubt that the Pixi will get 3D games in the future, but there will be a lot more for the Pre.
    Wouldn't developers be most interested in the highest volume platform? I just kind of thought that the Pixi would be the higher volume platform. Maybe I was wrong.

Back to my screen size concerns. I went into a Verizon store to play with the Pixi Plus some more. I found that I can barely read the small text in the PreCentral mobile Web page even turned sideways and the Pre screen is about 25% wider than the Pixi when they are both turned sideways. I have to admit that I do not do a lot of web browsing on phone, but since it is a smart phone I would like to know how converts feel about using Calendar and Mail which I sync to Exchange via ActiveSync.

BTW, after playing with the two for a while I feel that the Pixi keyboard is a whole lot better than the Pre or Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Back to my screen size concerns. I went into a Verizon store to play with the Pixi Plus some more. I found that I can barely read the small text in the PreCentral mobile Web page even turned sideways and the Pre screen is about 25% wider than the Pixi when they are both turned sideways. I have to admit that I do not do a lot of web browsing on phone, but since it is a smart phone I would like to know how converts feel about using Calendar and Mail which I sync to Exchange via ActiveSync.
    Did you "pinch outwards" on the screen to make the text bigger?

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Yes. Then the lines get cut off. There is a whole thread on this. Kinda makes PreCentral unusable unless you have really good eyes -- like I did about 5 years ago.
    My wife had a pixi before I got a pre, so I was fairly accustomed to it by the time I had a pre in hand. I actually thought I was going to end up returning the pre for a pixi...but now I am used to the pre and very much like it, except for the keyboard! The pixi keyboard is so much better than the pre, it is laughable.

If they had made the pre as thin as the pixi, and instead of the slider, kept the pre the size it is WITH THE SLIDER OPEN, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Now that I've had the pre, I can't go back to the smaller pixi screen, though the form facter is so tempting.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback.

I made the switch today. I've been playing with a bunch of the old apps on the Pixi Plus, and it seems that the screen is not going to be an issue. The Pixi is much more refined than the Pre. I have to admit that I would be willing to spend much more money to get the same form factor with 20% larger dimensions. I can't believe how small this phone is.

I have to say though that the profile migration could have been much smoother. Basically, I wasn't able to get any of my applications to move over with my profile. The details are in this thread.
    Hated the Pre. Sloppy build quality, horrible keyboard, recessed keyboard, and just being a slider in general. I went back to PalmOS and even a short stint with the Treo Pro. Then went to Android and actually liked the Moment quite a bit despite being a slider. Traded my Hero for the Pixi to give it a whirl and was just wowed. The overall size and keyboard just did it for me. The smaller screen isn't really an issue, though I would like a gen2 pixi to be somewhere between the Pixi and the Treo Pro in size with of course a bigger screen. Should be a no brainer.

In regards to email and pim functionality, there is no difference between the Pre and Pixi.

What I haven't figured out at the moment is I see so many shortcuts for the Pre with the orange button. What do Pixi users do? Are we stuck using menus for cut and paste?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I think I will apply for PreCentral knucklehead award. I just figured out that there are two mobile links in the forim email notifications. I was using the first -- and I should have been clicking on the second link. This works perfect on the Pixi. No need to use portrait mode.

I knew something had to be wrong:-(.