Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Newbie here - I searched and didn't seem to see this question elsewhere - my apologies if it's obvious.

I'm a current Blackberry user dying to get off ATT and considering the jump back to a Palm device. I currently have wireless in my Dell laptop via ATT card and well...it's ATT service, so it's relatively unreliable (in my area and in my experience).

For the Pixi Plus, can you use the Mobile Hotspot and make/receive calls at the same time? My usage requires internet access via my laptop and making calls at the same time.

Bottom line, if I get a Pixi Plus, can I cancel my laptop wireless card?

Thanks for any help...
    Yes, you should be able to do that.
  3.    #3  
    Excellent - thx.

Follow-up question...I'm assuming the connection speed is comparable to my existing card. My only experience was tethering back in the Treo days, which worked in a pinch, but was not an everyday solution.

Again, thanks for the speedy reply.
    With a pixi plus on Verizon, you won't be able to use the hotspot while you are on a call. You won't lose your connection from the laptop to the hotspot, but it won't let you access the internet while on the phone.

Not sure about the other vendors.
    Sprint does not offer a tether app. (but there are ways around that). I have the Palm Pre and have Mytether 2.0.4 (which has some bugs but it's manageable) and i make and receive calls and text while tethering perfectly fine. Now Verizon will have a tether app for their palm plus and pixi plus but will also charge a tether charge which if it's verizon it's expensive.
    According to the technology NO. webosuser is incorrect.

If you use a call you shouldn't be able to receive data which means no mobile hotspot while your talking. (unless Verizon comes out with a voip option which hides itself as the phone, which while possible is unlikely)

The speed should be 560kbps - 1.5mbps which is comparable to DSL, or a cheap Cable line.
    I tested the speed quite a few times last night, I got no less than .8 and no higher than 1.4 mbps.

CDMA rev A will not allow data and voice at the same time. The Pixi plus will however let you use the the WIFI to carry data while you are on a call. You can use the browser on the phone and have a speaker phone conversation.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    The question was specifically in using the Hotspot mode on Verizon.

With CDMA rev A you cannot host a hotspot using your cell network data connection and make a telephone call. The call will put a hold on the data.

If you are using wifi then you can surf and make a call. However, why would you be hosting a hotspot over wifi, just wearing down the battery on your phone for fun.
    It won't let you host a hotspot and be connected to a WFIF connection. For instance, if you have your Pixi plus connected to your home network and then open up the mobile hotspot app, it closes your connection to your home wifi.
    One more idea:

Pretty much what everyone except webosuser said is true so far. If you were willing to transition your voice calls to VoIP using your laptop, and willing to let incoming cell calls often go to voicemail, you could get by with just an Pre and no aircard. Given that AT&T will likely have a 5GB cap, you would have to figure out if your usage plus VoIP would be under or over the limit before going that route.

EDIT: Another option: If you primarily need both the voice and data in a single location, you could purchase Verizon DSL and use WiFi and then be able to make voice calls at the same time while at the DSL location. At other locations, some incoming calls (but probably not all) would go to voicemail while the laptop is using the internet connection. DSL would be around $30/month.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by crewcabrob View Post
    It won't let you host a hotspot and be connected to a WFIF connection. For instance, if you have your Pixi plus connected to your home network and then open up the mobile hotspot app, it closes your connection to your home wifi.
    I was under the impression that you could do both, but since you can't, my previous post is incorrect.
    I'd be careful relying on a Pre to be your sole WiFi provider. It's working now, and it's awesome. Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll be able to do this tethering much longer. Sprint has got to disapprove, right?

If they let it be, I know 10 people right off the top of my head that would switch to sprint/Pre and take advantage of the hotspot feature.

So... does it work great right now? Yepp.
    Should you drop your wireless card and buy a Pre? Buy a Pre, I wouldn't cancel the wireless card though. Not until this is out of development.
    I tested the hotspot speeds yesterday and got a high of 2.36 mbps download! I never dreammed we would see speeds like that. I consistently got 1.8-1.96 all morning with it.

Upload is always around .35-.45 mbps. Even my cable speeds are low like that.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I tested the hotspot speeds yesterday and got a high of 2.36 mbps download! I never dreammed we would see speeds like that. I consistently got 1.8-1.96 all morning with it.

Then your cable company is in bad need of an upgrade.
    This is where Google Voice comes in handy.

You can always use something like Skype over the EVDO connection. Quality is actually pretty good and latency isn't bad. If you were using Google Voice as your primary number you could have calls go through Skype instead of your mobile number.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I have it on my Sprint Pre right now (via the leak) and the way it works is that if the Pixi's system functions come first before the connected device. If you are loading a webpage are downloading something via the connected device and then want to look at Precentral.net on your Pixi, it puts it on hold, loads the webpage on your Pixi, then continues with the device. Same with calling if you are downloading something and receive a call, then it puts the download on hold and you can accept the call. So technically, no you can not do both at the exact same time due to the CDMA network but you can be connected and call.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Then your cable company is in bad need of an upgrade.
    The man speaks the truth. Those would be terrible speeds for a cable provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    The man speaks the truth. Those would be terrible speeds for a cable provider.
    Or he needs to upgrade his cable package?
    Quote Originally Posted by River City Dawg View Post
    Newbie here - I searched and didn't seem to see this question elsewhere - my apologies if it's obvious.

I'm a current Blackberry user dying to get off ATT and considering the jump back to a Palm device. I currently have wireless in my Dell laptop via ATT card and well...it's ATT service, so it's relatively unreliable (in my area and in my experience).

For the Pixi Plus, can you use the Mobile Hotspot and make/receive calls at the same time? My usage requires internet access via my laptop and making calls at the same time.

Bottom line, if I get a Pixi Plus, can I cancel my laptop wireless card?

Thanks for any help...
    I've had VZW Mobile Broadband for nearly two years and will not be renewing. I've been quite disappointed at the speeds I get, on two different laptops, and I'm smack in the middle of a major metro area (LA) that has excellent VZW coverage. I've never done formal speed tests, but anecdotally I know I get better speeds on my laptop by tethering it to my EVDO Rev 0 phone than I do via the VZW USB modem. Go figure. I've seen posts in other forums that suggest VZW's MBB software is to blame.
    I should claify a little,

My upload speeds have always been pretty sad, not much higher than this. My downloads are still fairly good running abou 12mbps.

I've had my cable company out so many times I can't count. We had to rewire everything outside last year. Still my uploads are patheticly slow.

I haven't tried out my new Pixi plus to see what types of speeds I get yet. Maybe I will try tonight.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast