Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Well I got him the Reclaim for Xmas, he liked it for a while then kept playing with my Pre. He saved up enough money for the Pixi and now wants to switch over. I returned the Reclaim and heading to Best Buy after work to get his Pixi. To much phone for an 12 year old? This is his 3rd, well 2nd cell phone not counting the reclaim. He listens to music and does texting.
    I'm 14 and own a pre. Along with side-loading homebrew apps and understanding the terminal and some other advanced things, I have also created patches.

Never to young for a smartphone :P
    My 12 yo son originally had a free LG rumor2, but about 2 weeks after getting that, we discovered we could get the Pixi for $30. He paid the $30 and switched, which was pretty easy since we were w/in the first 30 days.

No, I don't think it's too much phone for a 12 yo. Since he got it, he won a skinit at a contest in school and used it on his Pixi.

The only thing is that I wish there was a way that I could put parental controls on it like you can on an iPod touch.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I wish there was a way that I could put parental controls on it like you can on an iPod touch.
    Even if parental controls existed, he'll probably find a way around them anyway
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    My 12 yo son originally had an LG rumor2, but when we discovered we could get the Pixi for $30 he was all over it.
    I think I missed all the specials on the Pixi. Best price I found now locally is Best Buy at $99.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    I think I missed all the specials on the Pixi. Best price I found now locally is Best Buy at $99.
    Best Buy Mobile will price match with online retailers like Let's Talk, who's new line price is $29.99:

Palm Pixi (Sprint) | LetsTalk.com

Just print out the price and take it to Best Buy. Wirefly used to have a similiar price.

I guess I should give a caveat: BBM was price matching online retailers in Nov. And the BBM manager was saying that they're trying hard to break into the business so *all* BBM are supposed to price match w/online retailers, even though the rest of Best Buy doesn't do that. However, at the time, I recall several people saying that they couldn't get their local BBM to honor the wirefly or letstalk price. YMMV.

Also, if they don't honor online retailers, show them the $49.99 price that you can get at radio shack, which is a brick & mortar retailer:

Cell Phones from RadioShack
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    Even if parental controls existed, he'll probably find a way around them anyway
    Except that in a previous job, I was a network security guy for a large bank. I'm pretty good at being thorough. But you might be right. All that said, if my kids are smart enough to get around the security measures I put in place, there's part of me that's proud that they could do it.
    I don't think its too much phone. If he has saved up his money for one, I would say go for it. Hope he enjoys his new phone!
    i love the Reclaim for what it is, but it's clunky to use compared to a Pixi/Pre.

he'll be fine with a Pixi.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Well just got back from BB, dang this is a cool little phone. Got the touch stone back cover for $15 to use with my charger. Price was the $99, a lot of online sites are cheaper but that is for new lines of service, not upgrades. Yes, he did earn it and this is what he wanted so who am I to say no.

Thanks for the input guys... Now back to the Pre forums.
    I think its fine for a 12 year old. Its fine for a 50 year old, but I teens and preteens can get more out of it than adults to tell you the truth, its even more than enough phone for me and i'm coming off an iPhone 3g. As for the price, its not the phone that's expensive, its the service. You can get one of these things at Radio Shack for $30, $70 for a Pre with a 2 year contract, they deal with the rebates so you pay that out of the store. Not too bad if you ask me.
    It really depends on the 12 year old. I'd never trust my 12 year old (who is now 15) with one. Mostly because he's not responsible and chances are very good that it would end up broken within the first week. With my eldest son I made him keep an el cheapo phone alive and well for a year and then I moved him up to a smart phone.
    Great phone...Do it!
    It's funny, I must be VERY old fashioned, and please forgive my soapbox (it's LOOOONG. stop reading now if you bore easily). But, to me, it's not about whether or not a 12 year old (or 15 or 17 year old) is smart enough, technical enough, or responsible enough. It's about a maturity and understanding of value that generally only comes with years lived, and earning it for yourself.

Just a few short years ago, no one with an existing cell plan, could get an expensive phone without paying list price. At best, you could use your meager $75-$150 new phone allowance towards your purchase, but that still left you with at least $350-$450 out of pocket.

Now, with new ways to wheel-and-deal ourselves into "cheap" or free phones, we completely lose site of the fact that these are $400-$600 devices that many of us have, previously, had to work for, save for, live without, and, as I have seen on this site and others, sell when money gets tight ("I really love my Treo but I'm really short on cash right now,").

How many of you that are thinking of buying your 12 year olds a Pixi or Pre or the like, would have done it two years ago when it would have cost you at least $350?

How many of you who ARE 12 (or 14, 0r whatever), have worked a real job, hours a day, days a week, earned money, saved for all your responsibilities (i.e., school), and THEN bought your own $400+ phone at or near list?

Meaning no disrespect, but kids should never be handed the fancy car, $200 PS2's, or an approximately $400 cell phone. Especially when it didn't cost THEM any amount that they actually worked, at a job, to earn. No matter how mature, smart, or trustworthy they are.

I swear I am rarely this judgemental. I am NOT the forum guy that goes off on people or insults them or anything like that. But, I have to ask... am I the only one who thinks it's crazy that, a year or so ago, many of us were looking for ways to afford the list price for a SmartPhone we really wanted but couldn't afford or cost justify, and now there are folks just handing them to their kids, simply because they are now "cheap" or "free"? Have we forgotten what these things cost or how hard we worked for them?

Is your 12 year old or 14 year old going straight into Harvard next year? Or even Standford? If he's THAT bright, he might need a more advanced organizational tool, and I apologize.

Otherwise, all they really need is a Daytimer and a pen for their calendar and contacts and one of those really cool phones that only calls mom, dad and 911. It also has one of those family GPS functions for tracking. When MY kids turn 12, that's all they are getting. No matter how much their friends might razz them about it.

Here's my alternative suggestion... If you REALLY want your kid to have a $400 phone, have him/her earn it, by the sweat of their brow. If your child is too young to work for someone, have him/her get a paper route, or mow people's lawns for a whole summer. Something that shows hard work, being responsible, and earning your own way. Then actually take his/her money, and give him/her the phone. You can even put the money away somewhere for him (or her) for school, if you really want to.

Again, perhaps I am just too old fashioned. I apologize both for my rambling and if I've overstepped my bounds.

Thanks for all your time.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 01/21/2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    It's funny, I must be VERY old fashioned, and please forgive my soapbox. But, to me, it's not about whether or not a 12 year old (or 15 or 17 year old) is smart enough, technical enough, or responsible enough. It's about a maturity and understanding of value that generally only comes with years lived, and earning it for yourself.

Just a few short years ago, no one with an existing cell plan, could get an expensive phone without paying list price. At best, you could use your meager $75-$150 new phone allowance towards your purchase, but that still left you with at least $350-$450 out of pocket. Case in point, I bought my first Palm phone, a Kyocera 6035, when it came out for $500. I bought my Treo 650 for $500 (that was $150 0ff). This doesn't even get into the many hundreds I spend on PDA's before or in between, or even the $200 plus accessories it cost for my current Palm Pre. All these purchases, which occurred during my adult, married life, were done with the agreement, if not always the enthusiasm of my wife, Because, the reality is, when you are an adult, there is always someway you could get by with less, and always somewhere else, more responsible, the money could, and should go. It doesn't matter how you cost justify your purchase.

Now, with new ways to wheel-and-deal ourselves into "cheap" or free phones, we completely lose site of the fact that these are $400-$600 devices that many of us have, previously, had to work for, save for, live without, and, as I have seen on this site and others, sell when money gets tight ("I really love my Treo but I'm really short on cash right now,").

How many of you that are thinking of buying your 12 year olds a Pixi or Pre or the like, would have done it two years ago when it would have cost you at least $350?

How many of you who ARE 12 (or 14, 0r whatever), have worked a real job, hours a day, days a week, earned money, saved for all your responsibilities (i.e., school), and THEN bought your own $400+ phone at or near list?

Meaning no disrespect, and I know I am going to catch a rath for this, but Kids should never be handed the fancy car, $200 PS2's, or an approximately $400 cell phone. Especially when it didn't cost THEM $200 or $400 or any amount that they actually worked, at a job, to earn. No matter how mature, smart, or trustworthy they are.

I swear I am rarely this judgmental. I am NOT the forum guy that goes off on people or insults them or anything like that. But, am I the only one who thinks it's crazy that, until just a year or so ago, WE used to make ourselves nuts trying to figure out how WE were going to afford the cool new phone WE wanted but couldn't cost justify, because we have real responsibilities, and now, we have folks handing them to their kids?

Is your 12 year old or 14 year old going straight into Harvard next year? Or even Standford? If he's THAT bright, he might need a more advanced organizational tool, and I apologize.

Otherwise, and here's one I expect to take a full-on beating for, all they need is a Daytimer and a pen for their calendar and contacts and one of those really cool phones that only calls mom, dad and 911. It also has one of those family GPS functions for tracking. When MY kid turns 12, that's all he's getting. No matter how much his friends might razz him about it.

Here's my alternative suggestion... If you REALLY want your kid to have a $400 phone, have him go out and, by the sweat of his brow, earn $400, which he pays to you. If he's too young to work for someone, have him go out and mow people's lawns for a whole summer. Something that simulates working hard, being responsible, and earning your own way. Then actually take his money, and give him the phone. You can even put the money away somewhere for him (or her) for school. Nothing that isn't earned is ever appreciated.

Thanks for all your time. I apologize both for my rambling and if I've overstepped my bounds.
    okay i understand what your trying to say, i'm a fifteen year old sophomore in high school and i have a pre, i didn't pay the full retail price but i could have, i have my own job at school and earn my own money. i believe i'm more than responsible enough to have cellphone and have had one for 5+ yearrs. i can pay my own plan bill if i had to but my mother takes care of that so i cansave up my money ferr college && stuff.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    It's funny, I must be VERY old fashioned, and please forgive my soapbox. But, to me, it's not about whether or not a 12 year old (or 15 or 17 year old) is smart enough, technical enough, or responsible enough. It's about a maturity and understanding of value that generally only comes with years lived, and earning it for yourself.

Just a few short years ago, no one with an existing cell plan, could get an expensive phone without paying list price. At best, you could use your meager $75-$150 new phone allowance towards your purchase, but that still left you with at least $350-$450 out of pocket. Case in point, I bought my first Palm phone, a Kyocera 6035, when it came out for $500. I bought my Treo 650 for $500 (that was $150 0ff). This doesn't even get into the many hundreds I spend on PDA's before or in between, or even the $200 plus accessories it cost for my current Palm Pre. All these purchases, which occurred during my adult, married life, were done with the agreement, if not always the enthusiasm of my wife, Because, the reality is, when you are an adult, there is always someway you could get by with less, and always somewhere else, more responsible, the money could, and should go. It doesn't matter how you cost justify your purchase.

Meaning no disrespect, and I know I am going to catch a rath for this, but Kids should never be handed the fancy car, $200 PS2's, or an approximately $400 cell phone. Especially when it didn't cost THEM $200 or $400 or any amount that they actually worked, at a job, to earn. No matter how mature, smart, or trustworthy they are.

I swear I am rarely this judgmental. I am NOT the forum guy that goes off on people or insults them or anything like that. But, I have to ask... am I the only one who thinks it's crazy that, a year or so ago, many of us were looking for ways to pay list price for a SmartPhone, and now there are folks just handing them to their kids?

Otherwise, all they really need is a Daytimer and a pen for their calendar and contacts and one of those really cool phones that only calls mom, dad and 911. It also has one of those family GPS functions for tracking. When MY kids turn 12, that's all they are getting. No matter how much their friends might razz them about it.

Here's my alternative suggestion... If you REALLY want your kid to have a $400 phone, have him/her earn it, by the sweat of their brow. If your child is too young to work for someone, have him/her get a paper route, or mow people's lawns for a whole summer. Something that shows hard work, being responsible, and earning your own way. Then actually take his/her money, and give him/her the phone. You can even put the money away somewhere for him (or her) for school, if you really want to.

Nothing that isn't earned is ever appreciated. I learned this at an early age from my parents. At 13, I wanted a cool stereo. I did a LOT of neighborhood yard work and any chores for my folks and neighbors you could imagine. For six months I saved, until I finally had enough ($400 1980 prices). Then my folks let me use it to buy that stereo.

Again, perhaps I am just too old fashioned. I apologize both for my rambling and if I've overstepped my bounds.

Thanks for all your time.
    I have 3 kids of my own. While I don't disagree with you on the importance of seeding a 'getting there on your own steam' life lesson for kids in general (especially mine), this is a forum about palm phones and not one of parenting or moral character. I say lets get back to phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
    I have 3 kids of my own. While I don't disagree with you on the importance of seeding a 'getting there on your own steam' life lesson for kids in general (especially mine), this is a forum about palm phones and not one of parenting or moral character. I say lets get back to phones.
    I appreciate your perspective. The question was, "is this too much phone for a 12 year old." To answer that question about phones, I vote yes.

And, for those I may note a change in my post, I edited it down a little. It still rambles, but it's a bit shorter.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    A 12 year old boy with unfiltered internet access in his pocket whenever he wants... Hmmn, what do you think will happen?

You might really want to jump on the mysprint site and turn on the parental controls that limit/lock internet access. I've done it with feature phone's and even blackberry's. Never tried it with a webOS device though. Texting can still be allowed with this option.
    Quote Originally Posted by vicente_navarro View Post
    okay i understand what your trying to say, i'm a fifteen year old sophomore in high school and i have a pre, i didn't pay the full retail price but i could have, i have my own job at school and earn my own money. i believe i'm more than responsible enough to have cellphone and have had one for 5+ yearrs. i can pay my own plan bill if i had to but my mother takes care of that so i cansave up my money ferr college && stuff.
    I appreciate your understanding of my viewpoint. And what you say is reflective of what most adults have to do. Work, pay their way, meet their responsibilities, THEN get the cool toys. It's how I think it should be for everyone and it's a testimony to your character.

And perhaps it's unfair that I look at every teenager I see, with a Blackberry or the like, and assume they haven't done exactly as you have.
    @ Pelikan, if you reread the OP's posts you will see that his/her son saved up the money for the Pixi; the OP did not buy the phone for his/her son. I think, if I understand what you were saying, that this means that the 12 year old did work for, and earn, his high-tech toy, as you rightly suggest should be done.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast