Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    In their backpack!
    Good one.

The one that is having then kids show up at the doctor now for back issues?

And is a young man to carry the girls backpack or say the heck with it?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Good one.

Good point. My Chiropractor has noted across the country a 30% increase in young people with "40 year old neck problems"
    He should ask to carry her
    phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    He should ask to carry her
    phone.
    LMAO!!!!!!

Good one line comebacks.

So if he carries both phones how do the two kids talk? I understand that they are standing next to each other but won't it be difficult to carry on a conversation without texting? Then will they ever schedule a date? If they can't date we my see a new natural selection occurring and the weak may generationally die off.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    .....really?

I'm currently 24 and lived with my mom until I was 22. I live on my own, working two jobs, and go to school full time. I'm not about to be evicted, my bills are paid on time, and I have a sense of priority when it comes to my money. My mom bought me A LOT of things when I was younger and kept me electronically up to date. I am proud to say I'm not a screw up

All from my Pixi
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Both my kids... 11 and 13 have
    Pres. They are incredibly responsible
    with them. I like being able to text
    or call them when I need to.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Good one.

He should have her carry his backpack. Don't teach your kids to be doormats at such a young age.
    My son is 11 years old and has had a phone since he was 10....

Now before anyone gasps and passes judgement let me elaborate. My kids all go by a point system based upon grades, chores, and attitude. If he does what he is tasked with he gets a cetain amount of points he can use for movies, games, phones, or whatever he wants. Everytime he buys something with his points, I take 30% of the total he used at the time and put it in his bank account. Yes he does falter sometimes but he then gets priviledges taken away from him.

Kids these days are unfortunately desensitized through news, media, radio, even other kids on their school bus, making them grwo up pretty quick.

Am I a good parent? Who knows? I do know that he behaves himself, goes out of his way to help others, has integrity, and is a smart kid.

That said, my wife does check on his browsing history on our laptop, his phone, and his iPod....
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Perhaps these forums aren't the best place to garner opinion?

He's your kid and it's your call. Just remember that every decision you make on his behalf could come back to haunt you one day... I just don't think this is one of those decisions, heh

Palm Pre's for every man, woman and child!
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Interesting thread. My 13 y.o. son wants a Pixi when his contract is up soon (he is the phone contact for himself and 2 younger bros on 45min school bus ride).

To be honest, my main concern about getting him a Pixi is that I'm getting an Android phone (HTC Evo 4G) and we would not have the same OS to share tips & tricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    To be honest, my main concern about getting him a Pixi is that I'm getting an Android phone
    Shame on you.

Nah not really. But you seriously should stick around until this fall atleast, and if Palm doesn't release anything, or it sucks, then go get your dream Android phone. Blame me for the 2 extra months you were forced to use your old outdated Pre.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Some of these forum members are absolutely right, why would you give your children what you couldn't have? It is wrong for you to want your children to have what you never had, correct...? As for the price point... Are you going to stop shopping at Costco simply because the deals there make you forget how much the over-priced item cost at Best Buy or another competing store? Are you going to stop buying used cars because they were once priced at $30,000 and now they're only $15,000? Get real, to say that an item shouldn't be owned because it's for sale than less than the full cost is a joke. Many of us only buy items when they're on sale, and it's the only way we can afford them.

As for the question of a Pre for a 12 year old... Who cares? If anything it'll make him more responsible because of the functionality of the phone such as the calender app and alarm system. Personally, I find that the children who have a phone tend to be more responsible because of the trust placed in them by their parents. It helps them learn to take care and hold on to their things because it's with them all the time. With the stuff on TV and movies right now how bad could the pre really be?

By the way, you carry your phone in your pocket and the back issue came along way before the cell phone got into the hands of 12 year olds.
    Last edited by Mjb1313; 04/26/2010 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    took it back when I discovered all the cool games that she could play were only on the Pre
    I agree. I've had a Pixi since November and I have found that most of the best games only run on the PrPrPr&#$275$;. $And$ $with$ $the$ $PDK$ $only$ $working$ $on$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$;, $that$ $will$ $probably$ $be$ $true$ $for$ $the$ $foreseeable$ $future$.

Patrick
    Yes. My son (referred to in a previous post on this thread) is very disappointed that he can't play 3D games. He's on his 5th Pixi. I think he's hoping that something else will go wrong and that Sprint will upgrade him to a Pre.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I would say that the Pixi is not the right phone for a 12 year old.

A 12-year-old is going to need the WiFi and speed of the Pre. For his games, he will quickly realize that he wants the full 480x320 screen

For the few dollars a Pixi saves, it costs a lot. A 12-year-old is the one who will notice the lost features the most.

Get him a Pre.

- Craig
    You're all failing to point out the main reason against this! I'd say the pixi isn't right for a 12 year old boy because it's named a Pixi.

I wouldn't have wanted to enter 7th grade carrying around a pixi... That's just -begging- for abuse. Smartphone, sure, pixi, no.

If we were talking about a daughter I'd say go for it .

On a slightly more serious note - I'd probably opt for a more sturdy phone for a child... These palms have to be babied a bit to keep them from turning into scratched up paperweights. Just my 2 cents...
    On a sidenote regarding unfiltered internet access...

Kids today are going to have unfiltered internet access. They are going to probably use it to look up ****. It's normal.

I'd rather my son be looking up **** on a computer then having to resort to the lengths we had to go through when I was a kid (I know I wasn't the only 12 year old who raided friend's parents bedrooms during unsupervised moments looking for the VHS collection - especially for the unmarked black VHS tapes from more attractive friends parents that often found their way into the "box-o-****"). Hell, I'd cobbled together two VHS decks to burn off copies for all my friends.

Kids will be kids, it's likely your children will be no more innocent then you were.

I think today's world of instant-world-knowledge-in-your-pocket is a wonderful thing. Blocking your child's access to this vast resource is a poor approach to parenting, imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    You're all failing to point out the main reason against this! I'd say the pixi isn't right for a 12 year old boy because it's named a Pixi...
    Wow. You are so right.

A Pixi is a synonym for a Fairy. Don't get him anything that is called a Pixi or Fairy.

He will be teased unmercifully about being a Pixi.

I would also say that no girl wants to be associated with being a Pixi either but this would be especailly bad for any junior high, high school, or college age boy.

Please, don't do this to your son. It may even seem like a funny joke to you to do this now.

But he won't think that having a Pixi is a funny joke once everyone finds out.

- Craig
    Whoever wrote up the "from the forums" article should've checked the dates... I posted on this thread months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    On a sidenote regarding unfiltered internet access...

Kids today are going to have unfiltered internet access. They are going to probably use it to look up ****. It's normal.

I'd rather my son be looking up **** on a computer then having to resort to the lengths we had to go through when I was a kid (I know I wasn't the only 12 year old who raided friend's parents bedrooms during unsupervised moments looking for the VHS collection - especially for the unmarked black VHS tapes from more attractive friends parents that often found their way into the "box-o-****"). Hell, I'd cobbled together two VHS decks to burn off copies for all my friends.

Kids will be kids, it's likely your children will be no more innocent then you were.

I think today's world of instant-world-knowledge-in-your-pocket is a wonderful thing. Blocking your child's access to this vast resource is a poor approach to parenting, imho.
    I will sign this.

With one caveat: I think I am going to block my children's internet (i.e. Pron) access - with the sole intention of having them circumvent my block. Instant-world-****ography-in-your-pocket is a fantastic thing, but it fails to teach children that you can only have nice things if you do something for them. And that doing things on your own is learning things very well.

So I'll start them off with some sort of blockade they can easily circumvent by doing some googling. Once they're over my first block, I'll let them have the fruits of their exploits for a week, and will buy a bulk pack of kleenex because "i couldn't pass by such a value!". Then I'll instate a more-difficult-but-still-pretty-easy blockade. If you still remember your first pr0n (and I do believe you probably will), and think about the internet today, you know what I mean when I say that I will bet the house on them moving every rock they can to get back to that incredible horn of plenty that is the unfiltered Internet like it was meant to be enjoyed by God and Al Gore.

This will make my children thrifty and tech-savvy instead of overindulgent consumers. With a little luck, I'll have them do 128-bit decryption by the time they turn 18.

<edit> would you believe that they would really censor that word. People's put-on sensibilities never fail to amaze me.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast